Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I Think I May Give up on the Heat and Eliminate Marrakech from My Spain/Marrakech Itinerary. Help With What's Next!

Search

I Think I May Give up on the Heat and Eliminate Marrakech from My Spain/Marrakech Itinerary. Help With What's Next!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that about says it all!
My husband's passport is underway... and we had planned Marrakech for 5 nights at the beginning of July followed by the Costa Brava and Barcelona.
I'd love to do something "different". We've been to Provence a number of times. I don't mind flying into another country (I have reasonably priced airfare to and from Europe). Istanbul looked like it might do the trick, but the airfares to Barcelona are very high- no "cheap" carriers that I can find!
Ideas? And, I'm assuming Marrakech really is that hot (and without much air-conditioned relief!).
TIA
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Of course it is hot in northern Africa in summer. It averages 100 Far. in the afternoon. I think planning a vacation to N Africa in July is nutty (I had a friend who did that also and was surprised that they didn't feel like doing much in the heat, it was over 100 almost every day).

I'm not clear on your itinerary now. Are you saying that now you have no plans, no reservations and no airline tickets bought yet? Where are you looking for airfare to Barcelona from? Because the fares there aren't much different than to Madrid from where I live in the US. Air France usually has decent fares, going through Paris, and Iberia has good rates also (going through Madrid).

Where are you flying to?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I flew, in early August, to Madrid, via Philly from Boston...and got a GREAT DEAL.

Put it this way. My original flight went through CDG on my way out, Heathrow coming home. The London terror thing went down...and I called American. They gave me a full voucher for the flight (I didnt want to deal with the drama in London so I cancelled).

It was a week out from my flight and I did what all told me: Hit the computer 12am Tue into Wed...and then again same time 12am Wed into Thurs.

After using fare compare, webcrawler, sky auction, etc., either kayak or sidestep got me a good deal. Before I booked it, I woke up early and called 1-800-Fly Europe (they had a better deal on line).

A week out from my trip...got a better flight than originally priced (nearly 150 off). The company is great...based in Maine and works regularly with my friends company.

My flight was US AIRWAYS...and it was the easiest trip I have taken yet.

My suggestion: Fly into Madrid...hit the bus and head to Granada. 4-5 days is just perfect to see the city. I loved it. Good mix of European and Arabic culture...plus the Ahlahmbra...and the white washed villages north of Sacromonte. It is a 4 -5 hour easy bus ride from Madrid...and cheap as heck.

Alternatively, you can head to Sevilla, though it can be hot, it is an amazing, amazing city. You can train it from Madrid (I think 60-80 euro)

BOTH CITIES ARE AWESOME...different, and easily accessible to the backend of your trip, Barcelona!!!

Alternatively...you can do Granada for 2-3 days (tight in my opinion...but doable) and then take the bus up to Valencia for a night or two...on your way to Barca. Valencia, from what I heard, is very unique...and undergoing a massive transformation.

BTW, don't let the bus scare you: CLEAN, EFFICIENT, TV's, AC, ROOMY, RADIOS in each seat.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I work in the travel industry and can't make reservations until two weeks prior to my trip. Doesn't matter where I go, same price- into one country out of the next. It's just getting between them that gets more expensive.
I'd like to travel to a county in addition to Spain. I did all Italy last year.
I know heat. I don't mind Palm Springs in the early summer. It's the lack of a/c that somehow hadn't occurred to me.
I plan to rent a car at the airport in Barcelona for the Costa Brava portion of the trip. I don't want to drop the car in France as it adds tremendously to the cost.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Iberia flies to IST from BCN (I think it is on saturdays and sundays) at decent prices. I suppose august will be much more expensive, but I found a 120€ fare in february, which is not bad for a 3 (or 4?) hours flight that includes a meal. There is also a daily flight from MAD. Check it out.

Regarding Marrakech, you have a lot of options. Iberia and Royal Air Maroc fly from BCN in a codeshare agreement. However, RAM is a very expensive airline. I'd check IB (120€ on sale now from their webpage) or EasyJet, both from MAD (... however in IB you have the right to connect from BCN), or try Clickair (Iberia's low cost) from BCN. (This winter offered RAK from 80&euro.

Air Europa is also covering the route, but I think it is more vaction pack-oriented.

Also great destination is Tangier (served by RAM from BCN and IB from MAD). And another option if you drive you be the BCN - Melilla (Iberia Regional Air Nostrum), then pick a car, and have a tour in Morocco.

Check the following websites:

www.iberia.com
www.clickair.com (IB sells Clickair flights, with IB5xxx code, but they are normally more expensive that the XGxxxx flights available on Clickair)
www.aireuropa.com
www.royalairmaroc.com
www.altas-blue.com (RAM's low cost)
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Yes, Marrakech will be very hot, but not appreciably hotter than Madrid, Granada, Istanbul or the south of France. I live in Paris, without AC either in my apartment or my office - and the temperatures sometimes reach 37C at work. You just get used to it, and you take a lot of cold showers ...

Moroccans have been living with the heat for a long time and have figured out how to build houses and other spaces to reduce discomfort, and how to structure their days (something that perhaps we've forgotten living in a world where everything is air-conditioned).

If you really want to see Morocco, then you might consider the following: a) instead of staying in a riad in the medina, stay in the newer part of the city in a hotel with AC; or b) if you'd really like to be in or near the medina, investigate the Club Med that's located just at its edge. Rooms might not have AC, but I'll bet there are a few spaces that do.

Or, skip Marrakech (except for a night or two) and go to Essaouira, on the coast. It is a beautiful town, all in white and blue, with a manageable and less hectic medina to explore and interesting history. It benefits from cool ocean breezes, so temperatures will be lower. It's surprisingly easy to get to - there is a comfortable long distance bus that takes you there in about 2 hours and I think the bus is air-conditioned.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:13 AM

I think I'd probably disagree that Marrakech isn't appreciably hotter than Madrid, Granada or the South of France in summer. I've been to all those places in high summer, but Marrakech was much hotter, and we really did notice it. We were there in mid August 2004 (had been attending a friend's wedding in Casablanca) and the afternoon temperatures were well over 45 degrees C, which is approx 110 Fahrenheit I believe. (though it's possible that August temps are hotter than July in Marrakech)

Nonetheless, we still managed to have a great time, by staying in a riad with air-conditioning and a pool (in the medina ), keeping out of the afternoon heat, and sightseeing in the mornings. Oh, and I took a small fan (the folding, paper kind) which was great for cooling down when we were out and about.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies!
Living in N Cal we get so little heat and I actually miss it, sometimes just until I'm hot!
I spent a few days in Paris one year when it was near 100C and it was miserable, but I felt it was because the city isn't built for that, so KateW has a point!
We'll be staying on the coast in Spain so thought the city of Marrakech would be interesting. I'm very surprised to find the riads I'm looking at (all with a/c) are not offering lower off season rates!
The hotels in Spain are certainly booking at high season rates. At this time of the year, considering jet lag from the west coast, are five nights too many in Marrakech? We'd follow this with six nights Costa Brava- or maybe Costa Brava/Toulouse or Nimes and five nights Barcelona.
We're thinking of staying near Palamos. Anyone with thoughts on the area?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Hi,
The riad we stayed in offered low-season rates for June-September. Can't remember exactly how much we paid (around 100 euros per night) but it was definitely good value. The riad was called Riad Clementine. They have a website (in French) - http://www.riad-clementine.com
I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Madrid can get very hot, though city has a lot of fountains and can almost close 12 to 3pm.

MArrakech hot also ac in international and riad sometimes but you have to "get out of hotels sometime".

Essouria (sorry not sure on spelling) is lovely but not very big (an afternoon...) while I spent a whole week in Marrakesh and filled every bit

Costa Brava (not my thing) but Barcelona worth a visit. Also Spanish north coast (where the spaniards go on holiday)
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

We're not traveling to Madrid on this trip.
bilboburgler, why is Costa Brava not your thing? Always interested in hearing the pros and cons of places we're intending to visit. I think we could do a day trip to the Atlas mountains but not Essouaria. I might change my mind!
We're looking at Riad El Fenn in Marrakech- 3 swimming pools!!!
An, after further research, I think maybe basing ourselves in Nimes for the few days in France, as it's a city we haven't visited.
The itinerary would be:
5 nights Marrakech
4 nights Costa Brava
3 nights Nimes
5 nights Barcelona
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I was using the Costa Brava to visit the sites from there or going horse riding in the hills or the like then I have used the area, but in Sept/Oct when the heat goes not July when it will be hot.

Costa Brava is also one of the centres of the beach trade with some very high density hotel areas and some nice little coves. So it does depend on what you do with your time there.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
We thought we'd use our hotel in Palamos as a base for excursions and a little down/pool/beach time.
It appears from my limited knowledge that this is relatively central. Am I correct?