Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What to do now that Spanair change my flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ,
I need help now that Spanair has cancelled our flights for both segments and put us on late evening departures.(don't want to sit in Madrid airport for 10 hours) Here are the details of what I had planned. The cheaper airlines don’t seem to fly into Barcelona and out of Gerona plus now I have to pay for them.

The reason for this trip was to visit friends who have just bought a small apt in Narbonne. We plan to stay close by at a B.B. (Domaine du Puits es Pratx) while they are at their apt. and when they leave 6 days later we move into their apt for a week to explore the Languedoc & Roussillon region of France plus a couple of days at the beginning and the end in Spain.

YYZ- Mad- June27, A.C. overnight flight, business seats on points. We arrive at 11 am in Madrid and then had a flight on Spanair (part of star alliance) early afternoon to Barcelona. Planned to stay in Barcelona for 3 nights at Apsis Hotel (thanks Maribel). Pick up the car and drive to Narbonne to celebrate Canada Day with our friends.

After being in Languedoc region we planned to drive back along the coast and stay 3 nights at the Augia Clara in Bergur , then drive to Gerona drop off the car and fly out mid day to Madrid, stay 2 nights at hotel Emperador (pool) then get our return flight to Toronto. Total 22 days.
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Your 3 choices:

1. accept the schedule change

2. see if there are more favorable flights available and change the ticket

3. ask for a full miles refund (no penalty)

I'm afraid that's about it.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM

They will refund you and are very good about it. This happened to me last February and I had no problems with the refund.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM

I was wondering ... Getting the train to Barcelona instead of the train? Right now it´s a pretty decent option regarding the time (not the price for the day you are travelling, friday).

www.renfe.es

If not, check vueling and Iberia, at least for the Madrid-Barcelona option. Right now Vueling has some 65 euros flights at 13:50 and 17:20. They would have been my first option, much more than Spanair.

www.vueling.com
www.iberia.com

The only airlines I´m aware of flying from Girona are Spanair and Ryanair. If you are ready to go by the very strict Ryanair rules, they have a daily flight to Madrid.

www.ryanair.com

Bye, and good luck,
Cova

Old May 11th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

After think about AAFrequentFlyer post I decided that I can live with the late return flight from Girona to Madrid but not waiting 10 hours in Madrid airport after a 9 hour flight. Travelme as Span air is in Star Alliance I didn't have to pay for the ticket as I routed right through to Barcelona, it is more the inconvenience and then having to purchase the extra flight. Cova I am going to look at your recommendations,I am going to look at your options for the flight from Madrid to Barcelona and keep the return with Span air. That way I am only purchasing one way flight. Thanks for your help.
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Hi Avery,

it seems like a good idea. If you can, look into the lunch time Vueling flight. It´s not so expensive, and they are pretty good.

Rgds, Cova
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Hi averyjade,

My only comment is that if you decide to do that you tell Spanair in advance that you will not use the Madrid- Barcelona segment of your trip. If you don't show up they might cancel the remaining segment(s)