Search

Madrid and Barcelona - Help with travel itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid and Barcelona - Help with travel itinerary

Hi folks!

My husband and I are planning our trip to Spain in May 2017. Our plan is to visit Madrid and Barcelona. We found and bought affordable round trip tickets to Madrid where open jaw tickets were much more expensive. Unfortunately that means a bit of back tracking on our trip.

We were thinking of flying into Madrid and going immediately to Barcelona. It will make for a very long first day of travel but we would like to get through the majority of the travel portion at the beginning so we can spend more time enjoying our trip. If anyone has any ideas or thinks differently on this strategy please let me know as we are not completely set on our plan.

My main question is the best way to get to Barcelona that first day. If we are already at the airport it makes me think we should look at getting a cheap flight to Barcelona. I assume since they are booked separately we would need to go through customs and then security again to fly to BCN? Would taking the train make more sense?

Here is the rough itinerary:
May 10 - Leave US
May 11 - Arrive in Madrid 12:40pm (fly or take train to BCN)
May 12 - BCN
May 13 - BCN
May 14 - BCN
May 15 - BCN
May 16 - Train (or flight?) to MAD
May 17 - MAD
May 18 - MAD (somewhere in here day trip to Toledo or Segovia)
May 19 - MAD
May 20 - Fly home

Also any suggestions on things to do would be welcome. My husband loves soccer and we will most likely tour the Barcelona field. I am looking into seeing a show at the Palau Musica. We wanna see Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. We are active and would love to stand up paddleboard, kayak, take a bike tour etc if they are worth the time and money.

Other than that we mostly love walking around and seeing architecture and interesting buildings. we love good food and drinks and nightlife as well. We will see the Prado museum in Madrid but we are not big museum people and will probably spend more of our time seeking out good views and great tapas.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Best off flying upon landing IMO- since you are at the airport.

but going back to Madrid the train makes much more sense and with discounted tickets - www.renfe.com - could be cheaper and even overall quicker than flying. for lots on trains check www.seat61.com- great takes on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

In Barcelona I loved a day trip to nearby Montserrat- famous pilgrimage mecca on a mountain top -take a suburban train to where a cable way takes you up top.

Toledo to me is the nicest of many nice day trips from Madrid - less than an hour by train.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Any idea on how much time we would need in between our 12:40 arrival and our flight to BCN? The flights are booked separately so does that mean we have to go through customs and then turn around and go back through security for our flight to Barcelona? We generally try to pack light so we could just bring carry on bags if that will help with turnaround time here.

Any help with this will be much appreciated as I have limited experience traveling outside of the US and no experience at all in Spain.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 02:30 PM

not sure how much turnaround time you need....may depend on the distance between terminals
(you land on and take off from)
Having just carry-on luggage is probably a BIG advantage..
I don' know about security control in MAD.

Agree with PQ about taking the train from Barceloma to Madrid
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 02:54 PM

I would not book a flight to Barcelona, the same day as landing in Madrid, unless its on the same ticket. What happens if your flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss your transfer?

What I would do is, stay the first night at a hotel near Atocha station, spend the first afternoon and eve decompressing in Madrid then take a morning train to Barcelona. You could spend your afternoon eating tapas, maybe exploring Retiro park, perhaps hitting the Prado when it is free from 6 pm to 8 pm.

But I am a zombie after a transatlantic flight. Maybe you don't have this problem.

What airline are you flying? If you can book the segment to Barcelona on the same airline, then if something happens hopefully they'd just put you on the next flight.

Happy planning!
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Rialtogirl, we will be zombies too. We went to England this year and flew into London and immediately got on a bus for a 2 hour trip to where my husband's grandparents live. We had considered staying in London for the night but I was happy we plugged on. By time we got to our destination it was evening time so we were able to pass out at the correct time. Plus then we can just stay at the 2 apartments (we are thinking of booking on Airbnb or VRBO) instead of having to bounce around more.

We booked British Airways but only smaller airlines are coming up for flights from MAD to BCN.

We are nervous and it sounds like a gamble if anything changes with our other flights so I am not sure what to do.

There are flights out from MAD to BCN at 3:30, 5:30 and 6:30.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 05:05 PM
kja

You might check with British Airways to see if they can book you on to Barcelona on one of the smaller airlines with which they partner -- a "code share." If they agree, it should simplify everything for you!
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 05:11 PM

I think BA is a partner with Spanish airline Iberia...look into it.

Another option is to take a taxi to the train station and take a train to Barcelona
( the train is probably more expensive than flight but there are many.)
Check Renfe for train schedule.
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 05:28 PM

-You might check with British Airways to see if they can book you on to Barcelona on one of the smaller airlines with which they partner -- a "code share." If they agree, it should simplify everything for you!-

Fab idea from kja, I have always found the BA phone folks to be pretty helpful. It would be an Iberia or Vueling flight, most likely (BA codeshare.)
Old Dec 11th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is our 2015 Spain trip report...First five days in Barcelona....last four days in Madrid...you can skip the in between...lots of photos, too.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:20 AM

.you can skip the in between.>

Though Zaragoza in between is a really cool city if you want to break your journey for a few hours or a day.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 09:15 AM

Don't go to airbnb or vrbo as your first Barcelona reference - go to www.apartur.com. Barcelona has a well-regulated and large short-term tourist apartment industry. Apartur.com is an industry site and lists all its members so you can go to their pages and check for apts. We used barcelonastuff.com, others here have used Habitat Apartments. It's too easy to use a legal, regulated and safe flat instead of a less assured offering from airbnb or vrbo.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 09:23 AM

PalenQ I think Tom was saying they could skip the in between part of his trip report. But I agree Zaragoza is worth a stop, especially for foodies. They have a killer tapas scene.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:00 AM

We went to Spain last year. We flew in and out of Madrid and included Barcelona in the itinerary, three days in each city. Great places, and you'll definitely want to return to Spain to visit other areas as well.

About flying right on to Barcelona upon arrival at Madrid airport. It's doable but not fun. If you decide to do this, I would book your Barcelona departure at least four hours after your scheduled arrival. One hour to clear going in, one hour plus to check in for departure, and two hours for oops.

Pros:
- You're right at the airport.
- Flying would be quick and "cheap".
- About passport control: You're coming from the US? You'll go through immigration and customs upon arrival. An ongoing flight to Barcelona is domestic / within the Schengen area so there's no further passport control or customs. However, you will have to pick up your luggage, check in for the next flight, and go through security.
- An open jaw ticket is much easier logistically and could be worth it. It might save you as much as US$100 in train tickets for 2.

Cons:
- Expense of an open jaw ticket.
- Risk of your incoming flight being late (probably low, long haul flights get priority, but it does happen.
- Madrid airport is intimidating at first. It's linear with three terminals end to end, and terminal four a long ways away. You could get hung up.
- You'll be tired and it will make the trip just that much harder.

Rialtogrl has a good idea. Get a hotel near Atocha train station for your arrival in Madrid. There's a metro connection from the airport to Madrid Centro. (The metro ride costs about 8 euros pp and takes ~45 minutes. Unfortunately you'll have to make two line changes to get all the way to Atocha, a pain with luggage. The metro entrance is on the upper level of terminal two.) Atocha is near Retiro Park and the Prado Museum, and not that far from Puerta del Sol. You could do two nights there on the way in and two more in Madrid on the way out.

So, that said, my first choice would be to find some way to travel on to Barcelona upon arrival at Madrid airport. Just suck up the extra wait time and do it.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:24 AM

MichGuy there is an airport bus that goes from the airport directly to Atocha station.

http://www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto?lang=en-GB
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 10:27 AM

Rialtogirl--does the airport bus require exact change?
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Digbydog it says on their website they can make change but nothing larger than a 20 euro note....
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:32 AM

From our recent stay in Madrid:

On Calle Libertad
Bocaito-tapas
Celso & Manolo-tapass

Two well-known places:

St James for paella-expensive

San Gines for churros (that is all they sell) near Sol
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will read through this again with my husband later.

Our flights are through British Airways but booked through a third party website-so not helpful. They can't do anything without charging crazy change fees. I still hate to splinter our time in Madrid but spending a ton of time at the airport for a flight to BCN might not make sense either.

Imdonehere, thank you for the restaurant tips.

MaitaiTom- I actually read through your report before. I have been stalking the other Madrid/Barcelona threads.

BigRuss- thanks I will look into those websites.

Michguy - love the pros and cons breakdown!
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

We sat down today and decided to stay the first night in Madrid and leave for Barcelona the next day by train. So any suggestions on nice affordable accommodations near the train station would be appreciated!

May 10 - Leave US
May 11 - Arrive in Madrid 12:40pm stay near the train station
May 12 - Train to BCN
May 13 - BCN
May 14 - BCN
May 15 - BCN
May 16 - BCN
May 17 - Train to MAD
May 18 - MAD (Maybe day trip. Maybe not?)
May 19 - MAD
May 20 - Fly home

We went back and forth on how much time to stay in each place. Maybe we will get there and wish we had spent more time in Madrid and less in Barcelona. I know that these two are debated all the time and everyone has their own preference. Overall I am more drawn to Barcelona so hopefully we are making the right decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -