I need a massage in the 5th Arr.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be flying in coach to Paris this Fall. Years ago, a post-flight massage in London virtually eradicated my jet lag. I think it would be a good idea, but I don't want it to be a big hassle. As in: I don't want to go to a fancy schmancy place where I have to dress up to walk in the door. I don't want to schlep across town either. Any suggestions? (Please don't bash me...I know how to dress respectably in a city and I am at ease with Metro and buses.) We'll be in the 5th on Rue des Ecoles. Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM

http://www.massagedasie.com/massage_huile.php
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

I did a search on pagesjuanes last winter for the same thing. There were tons of them.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM

Go to the Mosquée de Paris (39, rue Saint-Hilaire in the 5th Arr.) and take a hammam and get a massage for a very good price. Hours for women are: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm, Friday from 2:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks St Cirq. Your advice is always good. Have you any personal experience there? It is an easy ride on the Metro and my plan was to spend the afternoon at the Rodin Museum on my first day.

Tuscanlifeedit, I saw many on pagesjaunes too. But, it's darn tough to make a choice and I was hoping for a recommendation based on actual experience of someone here. So, did you make a choice? How did it go?

Larry, have you been to the Mosquée? Do you know if a reservation is advisable?

Thanks all.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:54 AM

I visited the hamman at the Mosque a few years ago and received a very good massage. I don't believe a reservation is necessary. The website has a price list but it's in the French language section (click on the French flag, then the middle icon on the left side). They offer several service packages and a la carte services.

http://www.la-mosquee.com/
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Amy40,

I was offering my search experience as only that. If I were in your shoes I would want a personal rec, too.

I did the search for my brother last February. DH, brother and I all went to Paris, and both brother and I had terrible backs at the time. I made him a huge list of massage, acupuncture, etc. places on the Right Bank.

I have no personal experience, and took pain meds for my back. My brother decided on a woman off the Champs, who spoke English, had an open appointment, and was near a place he was on his way to visit .

I have a little distaste for the intimacy of massage and the last time I had one was years ago when a friend was studying massage therapy and needed a person to work on. Everyone I know likes a massage but me.

I didn't offer my list because I know you are looking in the 5th. Larry's rec sounds good to me. But if you want my list, which was too big, just say so and it is yours. I do, though, think you already have a better rec thank I could offer.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TLE. It is difficult to sift through. I have several choices where I live, and even then, I need a rec!

The friend I am going with is similarly adverse to massage and will not be joining me. I have several friends in the same camp with you. Do not feel alone.

I am looking more at the Hammam, but it seems like it could be a bit stressful for the uninitiated. But it is close and doesn't require a reservation. can't beat that.

St. Cirq posted a while back on the Hammam. I hope to hear from her again on this....to learn if her suggestion is based on personal experience. It looks awfully good!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I have no suggestions for you, but wanted to say that your post-flight massage is a great one! I think I might have to plan that for my trip with my 3 girlfriends!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM

I think you may be surprised at just how un-stressful the hammam is. It's all rather relaxed and natural. I, too, have used it as a cure for jet lag. Given your location on rue des Ecoles, it makes perfect sense, and you can't beat the price.

In fact, I think that's what I'll be doing on Monday. Thanks.