Afternoon in the Marais

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon in the Marais

Please help us plan an afternoon in the Marais in early October--where to start, where to wander, which shops do you like to visit, where to lunch or snack, etc. Moderate walking, moderate budget. Many thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Start with the Place des Vosges. For deli food, go to the rue des Rosiers. The Carnavalet is the History of Paris museum, and there is the Picasso museum.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:48 PM

I'd start from Hotel de Ville or St Paul metro stop and walk to Place des Vosges. The Carnavalet can be a detour along the way (check admission days). Place des Vosges for lunch--Bofinger isn't cheap, but it's good.
Include some browsing along rue St Antoine, there may be some bargains to be had. Plenty of antique shops on the side streets as well.
You can exit toward the Picasso museum or the Pompidou center if those appeal.
As suggested, you could also do lunch in the rue des Rosiers area.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Back behind the Rue des Rossiers is the Jewish Quarter where we had the best falafels we've ever eaten. Mmmmmm. This is really "old" Paris. Narrow streets, overhanging buildings...it looks like the Middle Ages.

I wish I could be more specific as to where we were, but we were just wandering. Perhaps someone else could specify where this area is.

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Elaine, you were one of the posters who guided my first trip to Paris three years ago--thanks for all the helpful advice. Any more ideas welcome!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:47 PM

I used Rick Steves' Paris guidebook for the Marais walk. On another walk (the area is so interesting) I used Steinbicker's France Day Trips guidebook. Either walk is great and hits the highlights. I can recommend this restaurant in the Marais - La Bastoche on rue St. Antoine near the Bastille metro.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Stroll to the Jewish quarter. Lunch is cheap and good. There are many inetersting shops on the back streets and they do look like middle ages. You can walk to the City of Paris history museum Carnavelet. If you have a Museum pass, no charge. The Picasso museum is also in the area. On the other side of Bastille shopping. You can also walk to Republique on the back streets. There's a Mona Lisa bar there