Galleries for art purchases

Apr 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Galleries for art purchases

Hello,
I'm going to Paris soon and I'm interested in galleries where I can buy art. I'm not looking for street artist water colors of Paris. In fact, the paintings dont' necessarily need to be of Paris/France. Just interested in local artists.

Thanks.
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:43 AM

We bought two paintings at Galerie Kalliste 21 at 21, rue de Turenne in the Marais. They shipped the paintings for us.
We found many galleries at Place des Vosges and a couple on rue St.-Louis-en-L'Ile with art we liked as well.
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM

My wife and I like the Galerie d'Art J. Lemoine, on the Isle St. Louis, at 32 r St Louis en l'Ile. The lady who runs it tends to show a handful of regulars. Some but not all of of the works are Paris-themed. Often something attractive there that's above tourist fare yet priced around 500 euros. But our favorite French comtemprary artist is Francis Vendeuge in Honfleur, if you have time for a three-hour trip outside Paris. http://www.comhonfleur.com/vendeuge/ The site doesn't do justice to his range or talent. He is also very reasonably priced. For an art shopper, Honfleur offers a feast, from terrible to wonderful stuff, in dozens of galleries.
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:24 PM

You will find lots of galleries on the rue de Seine. I collect gallery posters with interesting typ0ography and found several in that area. Wish I could have afforded the originals.
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Galerie Breheret (galerie-breheret.com), 9 Quai Malaquais, at the foot of Rue du Seine, has a great selection of artists, including some watercolorists. Galerie Documents, furthur up Rue du Seine, has a good selection of posters and prints. I have shopped at both galeries for over 30 years and find them honest and priced competitively. JP