Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I Need a Crash-course in Italiano Language!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buon...oh forget it, hello! As you can tell, I know absolutely nothing about speaking Italiano. The embarrasing part is that it has taken me until 2 days before my trip to realize it. Does anyone have any advice on how or where to find the most concise resource to help with this problem? I will only be there (Rome and Florence) for 7 days. I'm thinking that I should at least know the most common phrases for survival. Thanks a million, I mean, grazie mille!

p.s. Would you suggest pre-ordering tickets to any of the major sites in Rome and Florence (e.g., the Uffizi or the Accademia)?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Log onto www.travlang.com and follow the link to Italian.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:16 AM
rex

Yes, absolutely, reserve for the Uffizi and the Accademia. Your hotel will probaly do it for you. Just e-mail or fax them.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Talk a walk today at lunchtime to the nearest bookstore and get a phasebook that includes a tape or CD. Listen to it as much as you can stand (including on the plane). You'll be surprised at how much you'll learn in two days.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys, these are great suggestions. I never thought to buy a tape. Hey rex, do you mean I should reserve once I actually get to Rome ( I'll be in Rome for three days before going to Florence). The other alternative would be to call and reserve before i leave the States.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:26 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...esli&fid=2

This thread has many great suggestions, including the link to the language page right here on the Fodors site (which has audio clips.)
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
rex

I meant for you to e-mail or fax your hotel now (or ask your Rome hotel to do it for you) to ask that they make the reservation for you. They wil chage you some nominal fee, but nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM

You can fake it...most italians know enough english to converse...the trick ...just pronounce your english words in italian.....A=ah, E=a, I=e,
O=o, U=oo...that's it....no need for sentences ..one word questions or statements are fine...just listen to the inflections they use....for example...want to price something...say costa ? the voice should lilt upwards at the end of the word...you can find anything from a museum to preparation h if you just pronounce it right...and a pocket dictionary always helps.....
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:14 PM
rex

<<want to price something...say costa ?>>

Hmmm... great idea - - and if you're in a sausage shop, and you want to make sure it's "all natural", just point at it and ask "no preservativa"?

...which means "no condom?"
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Sorry, the URL I posted above didn't link to the correct thread. This should do so:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34481464
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM

dear rex...that would be tutti naturale'
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM

hey rex..don't be so cocky....when you think you can't learn anything because you know it all.. it usually means you can't learn anything....
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM
rex

Sorry, popesa... I certainly do encourage "sight reading" Italian words... just seems silly to suggest saying English words with an Italian lilt in your voice...

la churcha? it wont be understood better nor worse than simply saying church?

la break-a fast-a? I don't think so...

Now actually using a little pocket dictionary and sounding it out - - that I do encourage.

Our original poster is leaving tomorrow, but eveen on the plane, it is not too late to start learning to sight read

Dove - - doh-vay (actually halfway between do-vay and doh-veh, before someone starts fusdsing over this phonetic representation)

sala - - sah-lah

colazione - - koh-lotsee-yoh-nay

Anybody can do it.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM

many italians speak perfect english but just enjoy hearing americans butcher their language......you can hear the tittering begin as you get a feet away...