I give up... posting reply problems..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone else out there having problems posting a reply to a thread?

I have tried 4 times now...signed out..removed my temp internet files and cookies and still no luck...

any other solution?
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:18 PM

I have had these same problems on aol. Now using Microsoft Internet Explorer with no probs. Could this be your probem too?
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Iregeo,

Brilliant! Yes you are right...this is an aol problem...

I just posted a reply using just my explorer browser and it posted no problem.

Did you report to aol???

Thanks for the quick response.

erinb
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

just testing for the aol live help.

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:35 PM

Hi erin - no, I haven't reported to aol. I have a computer friend who clued me in today. He thinks it has something to do with pop up blocking, but I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it. I, too, was soooo frustrated!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

okay its like now that I was able to post under that IE browser, my aol browser is working fine now....computers...gotta love em or smash one!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

hi,

I think it has something to do with aol. earlier this week I could not send an email from my travelwithfriends hotmail account any of my friends with an aol account. I still can't. the postmaster at hotmail sends out a delivery failure message.

for about a week I didn't get any email from at my aol account outside aol members. and I still can't from hotmail. I can from yahoo, but not hotmail.

and just a few minutes ago, when I tried to sign on in fodors it told me that my browser was set to NOT accept cookies, but clearly it is set to do so.

So something is going on with aol and it's hostname or dns recognition. sites are not able to authenticate.

hope they fix it soon! it's just to frustrating. I was having to write in notepad and copy rather than lose it all and have to re-write.

Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:23 PM

I have an AOL account at home and have not been able to post (or search) on Fodors for about several weeks now, I think. I just use a browser outside AOL now and that works fine. Some of AOL's spam-blocking features are not working any more and haven't been for a while now. They are pathetic. Some of their tech support people know about it and others don't. I know more about than some of the AOL tech support. I have complained about that but I don't know what AOL's priorities are -- not pleasing customers, apparently.

However, the problem is that spam blocking is not working on AOL. I have gotten a lot more spam in the last few days than I ever did before. I have gotten spam from a hotmail account today, as I recall. So, are you saying that you have gotten no email on AOL except from a few people you know? That sounds like heaven to me.

So, I can't know specifics, but I have definitely gotten hotmail spam on AOL. Are you sure these people you are writing haven't blocked you or mail from hotmail? I block all mail from hotmail myself because it is used by so many spammers. You will get a message that your email is undeliverable when someone has blocked your address or the domain name you are writing from.

I haven't gotten a message about Fodors and cookies etc, though. I think I did get that message on Fodors a couple times in the last month on my regular ISP, not AOL, and it wasn't true. I think that problem is Fodors, actually. It usually works when I retry.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

I use AOL and have not been able to post a reply for more than a week. I have to go to MS Internet Explorer, which I hate, to reply.
I've expunged all cookies, run Clean Disk, obliterated my History files, everything, and nothing works from AOL.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:53 PM

Excuse the ignorance, but what are cookies?
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM

Forget the cookies, kids. Dump AOL. There's been a mass exodus from AOL in the last two years because that infamous merger hasn't worked and it's only going to get worse, regardless of what they call themselves. I have mega-modem but I was once with Earthlink and their customer service was voted #1. I'm so happy I ignored every AOL user in my family. There are so many internet sites they can't access easily. In the meantime, I'm surfing and posting free as a bird and damn fast, too. Good luck!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:13 PM

Verizon is due after Thanksgiving to install my DSL line. I'll only keep AOL for my kids' use, so I can regulate their use of the Internet.

It's true, AOL just gets worse and worse by the day. It's not just Fodor's - I can't get to lots of other websites I want to access anymore. Bye Bye!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:14 PM

iregeo:

There are two kinds of cookies.

One kind you dunk in your milk and have a great time with them.

The other kind of cookies causes great unhappiness sometimes.

When you visit a website, the host can put a "cookie" memory on you, and you then get their advertising.

Your own computer remembers every site you have visited as well, so your own computer memory is used to store this "useless" information and this could affect the performance of your computer. The more memory used for storage, the slower your computer becomes.

You should delete your cookies periodically. - and not by eating this kind of cookie - LOL!

Not sure this is a good explanation, hope it helps!

easytraveler
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks, Easy. I know how to get rid of some cookies. How do I get rid of the others?