Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help, I can't post replies, what could be wrong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to post replies to messages? It hasn't worked for about a week now. What could be wrong?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I was having a lot of trouble last weekend, also, and couldn't post anything on Sat and Sunday, even short posts. I finally figured out it was actually AOL, not Fodors. There is something funny about AOL that I've never figured out and their unhelpful tech support has never been able to explain, either, that makes certain web sites not work within the AOL browser and also prevents you posting to some boards. It doesn't matter how I set the AOL preferences to allow scripting, Java, etc, they just don't work.

I finally downloaded and installed a separate MS browser on my desktop and I have to switch into that when I'm at home on AOL -- when I switched to that browser, I could immediately post on Fodors with no problems from within AOL when I couldn't one minute before.

If you don't have AOL, then I don't know.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:48 AM

I'm having the same problems all of the sudden with AOL. But, when I use Internet Explorer (while logged on with AOL) to visit this forum, I have no problems posting.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Understatement of the year . . "There is something funny about AOL"

Rich
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:14 AM

I'm getting pretty disgusted with AOL too. Have been having lots of problems & their tech support always tells me it's something wrong with my computer. I'm not very computer savvy & got AOL for it's ease of use. With phone dial up, what other service would you recommend?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM
cd

I've had trouble the past week also. I also have AOL.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:16 AM
cd

Now, that post went right thru! Go figure!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:23 AM

mclaurie, if I had more energy and used my computer more at home, I would ditch AOL, also. I am pretty laid back about internet connections because I don't require much and only use it for email and straight internet, however I have had it with AOL. It is ridiculous that I should have to download, install and use another browser outside AOL just to have normal internet capabilities. I have never had such problems on my work computer where I also have just MS IE installed, so I know it is something AOL is doing and something within the AOL browser. I have been over and over this with AOL tech support who are mostly really dumb -- they do keep claiming it's you and not them and you are doing something wrong, but it's not, it's AOL. I thought I used to be able to post on Fodors from within AOL, but wasn't sure as I don't usually, but from what djkbooks is saying, that's probably true. I can't view the gault-millau web site from within AOL, either, as another example.

I do admit AOL is easy to install, I will give them credit for that.

AOL has too much spam, also, and while I thought I figured out how I got it on some AOL screennames, some other names that I've never used publicly on any board or posted anywhere, and for which I've never filled out an AOL profile are getting some spam -- I think AOL's own employees sell their screennames, but I will admit that's just speculation because I can't figure out any other way.

All I can advise is I wouldn't recommend earthlink, we used to have them at work and they are awful. they spam their own customers and won't stop even when you complain. I hate them.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:25 AM
cd

OK, This just now worked for me. For those having problems...Clean your cookies and reboot. Hope that helps!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM
ira

Hi guys,

I just want to let you know about the ISP I use. It is www.access4less.net. I get two mailboxes using Outlook Express and unlimited online time for $6.99 per month.

They have 'one-click' set up.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I have also AOL, and for the past few weeks I had and still have problem posting..I am not computer savy and cant download a different program..
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:56 AM
cd

Kismetchimera
Honestly, try erasing your cookies (if you don't know how let me know and I will lead you thru it) then turn your computer off thereby rebooting as you turn it back on. I bet it will work. Anyway, try it.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:08 PM

Deleting cookies and rebooting worked for me as well.

Note, once you've deleted all your cookies, you'll have to log in next time you visit favorite sites that "remember" you.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:13 PM

If you are looking for a cheap ISP, check out bigzoo.net and see if they are available in your area. $1.99 per month for the first three months and then $5.95 per month thereafter (pay every 6 months)

Go to their home page and click on availability and type in the first part of your phone number to see if you are in their service area.

I heard bigzoo recommended on the Clark Howard show about six months ago and set up an account for my son who has been quite happy with their service.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM

I've had problems for the last week, too, but I don't have AOL. Guess I'll have to try tossing my cookies, too. Ahem...I mean clearing my cookies.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:14 PM

cd,can you please send me an e-mail with the info or how to erase the cookies? I will love to try it..
my e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks
k...
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Ok, now I've deleted all cookies, had a panic attack cos I couldn't remember my fodors password, haha, figured it out and here I am trying again
I'm not on AOL. I'm iafrica and using Internet Explorer. Hope this works. Thanks for all the info.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

WOW it worked. Thanks all.