Search

Paris Fun Fairs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM
GR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Fun Fairs?

OK, I'm a big Amelie dork, I admit it. I loved the movie because it incorporates so many of the elements I associate with summers at East Coast beaches: photo booths, ghost rides, gnomes (OK, well maybe not gnomes).

Can you tell me if there are actual fun fairs in Paris (particularly one with a ghost ride)? I also love carousels and anything in that vein. I'll be there in November so I don't know if everything will be closed for the season...

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Not in November as far as I know. There's a huge "fun fair" near the Louvre right off the rue de Rivoli that goes on in July and August, but it's definitely shut down in November. I doubt you'd find anything like that in all of France in November.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:22 AM

This won't help now but maybe you'll be there sometime during March-April... We visited this fair in spring 2001:
Foire du Trône
Late March - Late May.
It originated in the year 975, where merchants and farmers met to exchange wine and grain. Now it has become a large amusement park, said to be biggest country fair in France. Location: Pelouse de Reuilly, in the Bois de Vincennes, 12e. Phone: 01-45-18-57-00.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:39 AM

Also, Paris (as do many French towns) has a number of carousels.. here are a couple of links regarding that attraction:

http://www.salon.com/travel/feature/.../31/carrousel/ - this article discusses many of the carousels to be found in Paris.

http://www.thegalloper.com/backstories/0202france.html - this site lists many carousels in France, including a carousel museum at Bercy in Paris.

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:10 PM

I don't know if it's open in November, since we were there at the end of September, but there is a great carousel at the base of the steps up to Sacre Coeur in Montmartre. If I remember correctly, it costs 2 euros. Have fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:47 AM
GR
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Many French parks have carousels, often only open if demand is there. They are permanent fixtures as are the ubiquitous Guignol puppet theaters. I've been in Paris several Christmases and there has often been a huge Ferris Wheel in the Tuileries Gardens and there is often a large carousel at Place Concorde and one by the Tour Eifel. A feature of the carousels for non-riders are the many typical French and local scenes painted on their upper sides.