I finally chose a Rome apartment

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally chose a Rome apartment

I never thought this could be so hard, but I finally picked an apartment for our three nights in Rome. It fit my wish list: inexpensive, air conditioned,outside space, near Campo di Fiori. I was considering a very small, very cheap studio near Trevi, but we decided to go with this instead as the size and a few other things about the studio had me worried.
You can see it here:
http://www.roman-rentals.com/
Click on "near pizza navona", and then look at Nicola. It has 2 terraces, and I like the decor-like a little old nonna's place. The really modern decor of some of the other apartments left me a little cold.
I know the bed looks a little lumpy but we really like everything else about the place, espcially the price(125 euro/night)
The location is Via San Nicola de Cesarini, right on Largo Argentina. It overlooks the excavations.
As I was researching I came across one that I really would have loved, but it wasn't available - Apartment Farnesi. However, it's a darling place at a great price and I don't think I've seen it on this board, so here is the link if anyone woudl like to check it out.
www.romanvacations.com
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

The terrace looks like a great place to sit with a glass of wine at the end of the day! I did notice it says top floor...if an elevator is important I'd find out if they have one.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 06:31 AM

"top floor"?

What floor is it on? No elevator is mentioned.

Looks nice, though.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm, I actually didn't ask abut what floor!! But I don't care, I will need the exercise since I plan on eating lots of carbs!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

OK, I just asked-it's on the 6th floor, with an elevator.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM

I love exercise, but hiking six floors with a suitcase or groceries might give me pause when on vacation. Glad it's worked out for you.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Part of the issue wiht our last apartment in Rome was that it was like the 6th floor (seemed like 20 with luggage!!)

We all love exercise here but it was NO fun at all.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM

"...I plan on eating lots of carbs!"

Bad news Skoop2, you're going to have to pay for them, I'm afraid the Porticus Minucia (Welfare/Dole office bldg) has been closed since probably before the Fall of Rome .

Your apartment is right over the western end of the Porticus Minucia which is where the ancient Romans went to get their free grain ("Bread and Circuses&quot.

[Evidence points to that location as the Porticus Minucia and it likely is.]

1st built in 110BC and expanded by Emperor Claudius (41-54AD), I believe you would be over the expanded section.

On that website you posted there is a picture looking down at the ruins, notice the circular temple with standing columns, that is Temple B (1 of the 4 temples you can see today in the Largo di Torre Argentina).

Go to http://tinyurl.com/2y73bj
this is a drawing of how the area probably looked in ancient times.
In the upper right corner see the 4 temples []_[]_O_[]
That apartment is right across the street (shown as green) from circular Temple B and the Porticus Minucia is the *large* brown-roofed rectangle with people walking within it and a temple.

When you are walking down the Via delle Botteghe Oscure on the sidewalk you will see behind plexiglass some remains of this temple against the modern bldg.
If this is the Porticus Minucia that temple originally was the Lares Permarini (Guardians of Seafarers originally built 179BC).

But the coolest thing about that location and esp the view is, just behind Temple B are the partial remains of the Curia Pompey.
That is where Julius Caesar was assassinated and I mean *very likely* the exact location. The floor is long gone so I mean a location that is actually in midair above (~1m?) the ruins.
Scroll down to the Curia Pompey assassination site in the walk below
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34646917
Regards, Walter

p.s. Please post about that apartment when you return, I like the location if there is an elevator.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Walter thank you so much for all that great information. I will certainly explore the ruins -I've been hooked on Roman ruins since I first visited in 1976 with my Latin class. I can't wait to look at those links you posted. Too bad our trip isn't until July!!!!!
I like this apartment a lot-with its long balconey and two terraces, the good location, and the A/C-I think it's a very good deal at 125 Euro/night for 3 people.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Also Walter-there IS an elevator!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM

This Nicola apartment looks great! I inquired about availability for the time I will be in Rome and I just heard back that it is available. My only concern is that I don't see many reviews about this agency online anywhere.

This will be my first time renting an apartment, so I'm a bit hesitant.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Topping this thread in hopes that the OP will report on her stay at this apartment! (I've been waiting for a trip report of some sort, but nothing has been posted yet)

I've booked it for September, so I am anxious to hear about it.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM

We were quick in finding our apartment Campo de' Fiori in Rome, It was on the 4th floor but with no elevator... we didn't care, the location was enough and very comfortable. http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Pretoriano.html