Reload this Page >

Venice apartment - advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
ziggy123

Has anyone stayed in this apartment or know of the location? What do you think?

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk

Home number: 15694

Is it close to San marco and good for people who don't want to walk far to the major sites?

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:00 AM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a very nice location. It doesn't say the exact location, and in my experience when they 7-10min walk somewhere it's at a very brisk pace assuming you know where you're going. It took me longer to get from Rialto to St. Marks than 10-15min, so the times they've listed seem improbable at a pace for 'people who don't want to walk far.'

Regardless of where you are in Venice you do a lot of walking, especially if you are visiting areas besides St. Mark's sq.

That said, for 4 or more days (min rental) you have time to explore Venice without being hurried, and it seems closer to Rialto Bridge where you can grab vaporetto to further your reach.

Can you find the exact location from the owners?
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM
ziggy123

Many thanks for your help J62. The exact location appears to be Campo S Bortolomio. We are planning on a week there.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM

You will be very near Rialto, probably the 2 minutes that they state. Once you walk it a time or two, it will not take you more than 10 minutes to get to San Marco.

Don't worry too much about how far things are, just walk and discover them. I've been to Venice many times, and I think it is a city that is more about small sites than large ones. The signs that say, "Per Rialto", "Per San Marco", etc. are good indicators of directions, if you feel too lost.

In the Campo S Bortolomio, stand facing the direction of the Grand Canal with the statue behind you, take the little street to the right closer to the canal, and you will see Bacaro Jazz (one of our favorite bacaros!--2 for 1 happy hour and good, inexpensive food), and right beside it is a gelateria that has a carmello gelato that is the best gelato in Venice to me!!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:34 AM
ziggy123

Thanks very much Marty - any suggestions of favourite places to visit with gelato in hand?!

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I hate to suggest places to visit, because I think you will find your favorites on your own. Mark some favorite places in your guidebooks, but don't be disappointed if you never find them. In just 4 or so days, you will do well to just try to find something new every day. If something interests you, go in! You will be surprised at how many times you come back to the same places when you think you have walked so far. No matter how much you study your guidebooks (I love the Eyewitness book), you will still be surprised when you actually arrive there!

I would say, take the boat to Burano, Murano, and Tortello. Go early enough that the church in Tortello will still be open. You will think you have arrived at nowhere, but keep walking along the brick walkway, and you will finally arrive at the the church.

My husband and I love Venice, and go every year, no matter where else we go in Europe. Ask specific questions, and I will try to answer.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:24 PM

That apartment is VERY central - you can get all over the place pretty quickly. What time of year are you traveling? Campo San Bartolomeo is definitely a busy crossroads (it is about a 10 second walk from the Rialto Bridge) but some of the streets just behind are remarkably quiet for where it is, unless you are over the Devil's Forest Pub or something. Try to get a street name from the owner.

There is a lot going on around there and you are just over the bridge from the Rialto markets which is great!
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM

ziggy - While you are there get up early and be out the door by at least 07:00 and walk over the Rialto bridge through all the boarded up tourist stalls to the real Rialto fish and vegetable market. It is truly amazing to watch them set up and see all the wonderful things for sale.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
ziggy123

Thanks for the suggestions of places to go. The street is S Marco. They say the windows have double-glazing - still not sure though if it will be too noisy.

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
ziggy123

And Marty what area do you usually stay in? Dosoduro sounds nice but I'm still thinking we should go with the Rialto flat and be in the heart of things.

Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Search no more! We just got back two weeks ago (two couples) from Venice and stayed in the san marco area in this awesome apartment. http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Aquileia-2.html I think you will love it as well.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM

I have stayed all over Venice; we try to stay in a new area each time, but we do have our favorite hotels that we sometimes go back to depending on if other people are traveling with us and we want no surprises! You are in a great area.

There will be a lot of people in the campo, in the Rialto area, and on the walk between Rialto and San Marco, but just turn down any one "street" off the beaten path and walk a ways, and you will find that you are the only person around!!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM

One more thing: the great thing about Venice is how surprised you will be at what it is really like compared to what you imagined. I hope you love it!

I often have wished that I had a movie camera in my head that could record my thoughts on what a place will be like before I see it, so I can play it back after I see the real thing. Something the real thing just paints over my "before" images.