Venice Hotel: Lido or San Marco area??

Apr 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Venice Hotel: Lido or San Marco area??

My husband and I will be in Venice for three days in mid September. We have never been to Italy before. Should we stay in the Lido area or San Marco area? What are the pros and cons of either area? We do not mind spending up to $500.00 per night, but definitely want a water view wherever we stay. We like the beach and pool if we stay in the Lido area, but will we miss the real ambience of Venice by not staying in the city area? Any hotel suggestions for either area?

Thank You
DebraJean
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM

I've never stayed in the Lido area, but I think you would miss out on the Venice experience which in my opinion does not include a beach and a pool. But that's me, and this is your trip.

If you stayed in Lido, you would spend time and money getting to the Venice sights each day. If your three days there include the day you arrive and the day you depart, I would definitely recommend staying in San Marco or Dorsoduro or elsewhere in Venice centro storico.
Apr 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM

The Lido is absolutely the worst choice for accomodations in Venice - it's modern, ugly, and you'd fall short of one of the most fascinating features of Venice: the total absence of cars! Cause on the Lido, there are MANY cars driving...
So if your choice is between the Lido and S. Marco, that's a no-brainer; there are of course other quarters than S. Marco that are worth staying there, too. But no doubt, S. Marco can be an excellent choice, if you choose a place away from the crowds (which means, most often, just around the corner from the main fares).
If you are willing to spend that much, you could consider the Hotel Colombina, which has a perfect location (it's just across a small bridge from the apartment which I'm renting most often, so I can assure you: the location is unbeatable). They have rooms with a view on that small canal in front of the hotel, which is one of the most beautiful small canals in Venice - the Bridge of Sighs is on that very same canal! I've never been inside the Colombina, but I know people who spent the night there, and it seems to be very nice - it's a four-star hotel.
Apr 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Hi Debra,

I was wondering the same thing two years ago, thinking the "beach" might be nice for our family, but a friend gave us the advice to definitely stay in the San Marco area and she was right! I was SO glad we listened to her.

We stayed at the Europa Regina, in rooms overlooking the grand canal. It was breathtaking! I think it's in your price range, so you might want to look into it.

Have fun planning!
Dina
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
lonelyplanet

Stay in San Marco. Franco is absolutely right. The Lido is totally different from Venice. If you want to visit it, do a daytrip from Venice. It's a 10 minute ride on the ferry and not only is cheap, but it works 24/7. The only thing that I like about the Lido is that it's what I call a "reality check" italian location. What's that? It's a proof that Italy is like any other country in the world. It has amazing destinations that make you feel part of dream, but it also has unpleasent places that make you miss your homeland after you've been there for 5 minutes.

Apr 9th, 2006, 04:51 PM

We stayed on the Lido a few years ago and were very disappointed with the beach and the quality of the water.

And despite the ease of the vaporettos, we didn't go back and forth to Venice nearly as much as we'd hoped to because sun and laziness set in.

So my vote would be to stay in Venice, preferably at a hotel that offered a room on the Grand Canal.
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:58 PM

5 years ago stayed at the Locanda al Gambero. Located between San Marco and the Rialto Bridge. Our room had a private bath and the windows overlooked a canal. Would definitely stay there again.
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Hi,

I have stayed both on Lindo and in San Marco. San Marco wins hands down. On our first visit, we stayed at the Westin Excelsior on Lido. The hotel was great. Pulling into the Excelsior on the shuttle boat was a grandiose experience. We enjoyed the hotel, but we were subject to the schedule of the complimentary hotel shuttle. For example, we had dinner at the sister hotel, the Europa & Regina, and just missed the shuttle boat back to Lido. Not the best way to enjoy the post-dinner bliss!

Since then, we have stayed at the Europa & Regina and Locanda Orseolo, which are both a short walk away from San Marco. It made a huge difference in our visit - we wandered late into the night through the streets, and it was just a far more leisurely feel. We stumbled onto things we didn't expect - an impromptu Christmas performance of an orchestra group at about midnight in the Square; a Renaissance costume exhibit, etc. As much as I enjoyed the Lido - never again! San Marco is the way to go...
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Totally agree with everyone. I can't help with hotels, as that's way above my budget, but definitely stay in the San Marco area. And with only three days, I certainly wouldn't waste part of it going to the Lido. Just my opinion, but you don't go to Venice for the beach and pool (and I love the beach, just too much else to see in Italy).
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM
eurotravlr

For your budget, the San Marco area is best. You will be close to all the sights and transportation.

Apr 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM

San Marco hands down.

Book Locando Orseolo if you still can.
Apr 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM

The Lido is great if you are going in dam, muggy August and if you want to do, as the Italians do, a months-long beach holiday. If you are only in Venice for a short touristic visit, by all means get a place as close as possible to San Marco.
Enjoy your visit..
Mary Jane
www.elegantetruria.com
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM

San Marco
Never the Lido....
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM

If you can afford $500 per night, go with a hotel on San Marco with accomodations that will boat you directly to your hotel. That way your luggage is dropped off by boat and you are not hauling it down narrow sidewalks (they call them streets). We just got back 2 weeks ago from Italy and loved every minute of it. Venice was our favorite spot. If you are going to Rome or Florence, look up Context Rome tours for wonderful small-group touring. We had a Phd Archeologist give us a tour for 4 of the Palentine Hill, Colliseum, Forum,etc. Wonderful. Same with a evening tour in Florence. We found some outstanding restaurants in Venice.
Apr 10th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Neopolitan

I once had someone tell me they were so excited because their travel agent was able to get them into a Lido hotel, and "there are so few hotels there that most people are forced to stay in the city instead of on the sea". HUH? I tried to warn them, they didn't listen. They came back loving the Lido, and still saying they were so glad they didn't have to stay in the "smelly, dirty" city, but had a fabulous view facing the beach and sea. So I guess, once again, it's a matter of personal taste. You'd have to drag me screaming to stay in a Lido hotel instead of in Venice! Of course these same people really didn't care that much for Venice -- maybe because they only saw it during the day. They saw no reason to back into the city at night and sit the Square listening to music or taking a moonlight boat ride. But they were happy. That's what counts.

Apr 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM

DebraJean,
I urge you to look at the fabulous San Clemente Palace Hotel before making your hotel reservation. IMHO,it is the best hotel in Venice...http://sanclemente.hotelinvenice.com. Or look at Tripadvisor for its many rave reviews. The SCP is located on its own island and has a pool, putting greens, walking path and the best views of San Marco, all 12-15 minutes away by private boat. You will love it.
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank You so much for all of your responses. Can anyone tell me how to contact Locando Orseolo for reservations? I checked on TripAdvisor, but it said not bookable on line, but did gave not contact info. Please help.

Thank You
Debra Jean
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Not the Lido! You'd be stuck taking a boat back and forth every day. And miss strolling around Venice after dark which is magical.

But you don't have to stay exactly on San Marco either. I like the Dorosudo very much. Some people like towards Rialto bridge. Some even around the train station. As long as you are somewhere in the central area, things are quite close.
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM

www.locandaorseolo.com
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank You!
DebraJean

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO