Search

I did it!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did it!

It's me-parakeet again with a raft of ?'s. First let me say thanks for encouragement and tips.I think I knew I could arrange this trip myself but I really knew it after a few reassuring words from Ira and everyone else. Here's the plan--LAS to JFK to VCE for 6 nightsstaying at Hotel Abbazia then on to Rome for 7 nights at Hotel Modigliani. I've read that I can wait until I get there to purchase my train tickets to Rome but any help with how to go about this would help. Also, we'd like to go to Padua--take a train or a bus? This is our 2nd trip to Italy but a TA did the last one and you were right, that trip cost only 300 less than this for 11 nights and the dollar was a lot stronger and airfares were, I'm sure, alot less when we went to Lake Como and Firenze.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM
rex

Congratulations on your new-found confidence. The reassuring words from ira must be part of a million or so that he has dispensed here.

Now let me offer a word of guidance... you're actually asking a question here: "How to make a trip to Padua, by train or by bus?"

How would anyone know this from the message header "I did it!"?

Everyone who sees your message header has to decide "do I stop and see what this person is actually saying?" - - that's a little bit inconsiderate on your part, and not at all what you intended to do.

And those who know Padua best - - why would they stop and answer your question?

So, please...re-post, and let people know what you're asking - - <i><u>in the message header</u></i>...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I clicked on your message even though the subject is I did it! He's probably right though, but he sounded so scolding. I hardly say you were inconsiderate.

Anyway, I would suggest going to the train station in Venice during one of your days there. I couldn't buy my train tickets at the window using credit card, but the self-service machines do take credit. We got help at the self-service machine from an American. Request 1st class train tickets for the extra room especially since it's a longer train ride. Our train went from S Lucia to Mestre where we had to change trains to catch the train to Rome (we got off in Florence). That was the trickiest part for us, but that was because we were looking for the train to Florence when we really needed the train to Rome. Since you are going to Rome, you probably won't have that problem. Getting the tickets the day before the train travel was something we did at each stop and we thought it worked out well. We had a chance to check out the lay of the station before doing it with our luggage in hand.

Make sure you check out the church next to the train station in Venice, I have it written down as Chiesa S. Maria di Nazareth, but I don't see it listed that way on my map. Anyway, it was quite beautiful.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Hi parakeet, first of all know that the Italian name for the English version of Padua is Padova. Venice is Venezia, Padua is Padova and Rome is Roma.

Now, you can travel by train from Venezia to Padvoa in 30 to 40 minutes.

You can buy the train tickets at the train station in Venezia (Venice) at the Santa Lucia train station which is along the Grand Canal. The other &quot;Venice&quot; train station is Mestre, which is west on the mainland.

You can visit Padova as a daytrip from Venezia or you can travel by train from Venezia to Padova, spend some time there and than take the train to Roma.

You did do it!! And after this trip you will know that you can take any trip you want and make all of the arrangements yourself.

BTW, the website for the Italian train system is: http://www.trenitalia.com

You can click on the English version and get the schedules etc. A lot of people have a problem buying their train tickets from the website, it can be very frustrating. Since you will be in Venezia for 6 nights you will find it so much simplier to go to the train station and buy them there.

I hope you will give us a trip report. Have a wonderful time planning your second trip to beautiful Italy!!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Hi Modglila, you are correct, that is the name of the church next to the Santa Lucia train station..and it is beautiful!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM

I agree, taking the train from Venezia to Padova is easy, and it's direct, so you don't have to make any changes along the way.

Purchasing tickets in Rome is easy. I would go up to one of the self-purchase booths where you can choose to do everything in English and purchase your tickets that way. I wouldn't neccessarily request first class, unless you really want to. I think Eurostar 2nd class is just fine. I do agree about going the day before if you get a chance, though. As long as you are sticking to pretty firm departure plans (and don't think you'd change your mind the day of about when to leave), this is a good way to buy tickets when you're not in the panicked stage of 'just about to leave.'

Perhaps check out www.trenitalia.com from home, though, just to have a general idea of when trains depart, etc.? It might help--I normally do that.

Have a great time, and congrats for taking the big step of planning your own trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've purchased tickets in Venice a couple times, at the train station, when I needed to travel that day. Must not have been terribly difficult, because I can't even remember how we did it! Just stood in line and purchased from a ticket agent, I think.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM
ira

Hi P,

Good for you.

You can get Venice San Lucia to Rome TE for only 29E in 1cl at www.trenitalia.com.

Regular fare is 67E 1cl and 44E 2cl.

Choose &quot;ticketless&quot;. You will get an email confirmation. That is all you need to show the conductor.