Italy Train Question

Search

Italy Train Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Train Question

I am attempting to purchase my train tix in advance and want to make sure that I am making the correct one.

I am traveling from Venice to Florence (staying at the Alloro B & B as recommended by fellow fodorites!).

Can you advise if these are the correct train stations?

Depart VE S.L. Arrive FI. SMN

"ES" - would this be the speedy train?

And last question....difference between first and second class.

Thank you so much!
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM

You don't say when you are traveling. I made the same connection a couple of years ago in April and did not have a train reservation. It was no problem, I found an American Express office in Venice and they purchased the tickets for me. It was very easy. I can't remember but I think you can also purchase the tickets at any travel agency as well, avoiding the lines at the train station.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, AV (the fastest) and ES next. AV are not everywhere because the highspeed lines are not everywhere. Many times the AV and ES will end up being the same train. Next fastest would ICPlus.

I've stayed at Alloro. It's a short walk from the station. The main entrance is on Giglio, not Alloro.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi cw,

You have the correct stations and the correct train.

We always go 2 cl on trains of under 4 hrs.

You probably want the Amica fare (discounted - not refundable).

Keep in mind that the trenitalia is very quirky when it comes to accepting credit cards. You might not be abe to complete the transaction.

You can get Amica fares up to the night before, if they are still available, in Italy at any train station or travel agent.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice! What type of fee do the travel agents or Amex office charge?

We leave in two and a half weeks! First time in Italy! Going to Venice, train to Florence, train to Rome and then fly home.

So much of my planning has come from this message board!

8-)
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM

cwojo99- as noted by another poster, I really don't think you need to purchase your tickets before you get there.

We walked right into the train station in Venice the morning we wanted to go and bought our tickets. We had no problem getting a seat on the next train. (October)

Since you are not going at peak season, I really don't think you need to buy your tickets in advance.

2nd class is perfectly fine. Spacious seats, foot rests, dropdown trays with cup indent, hook to hang purses or jackets. Wonderful! (And most trains have a food car, too.) You should note that some seats may face "backward". I don't ride "backward" well, so I made sure we always had seats facing the direction of travel. They are assigned seats, fyi.

We loved the trains. Please know that whatever carriage you are on (an individual train car), the "big" luggage storage when leaving Venice is at the first entrance to the car. (If you are leaving Florence via train, note the "big luggage" storage will be at the far end [second entrance] to the car.)

Buon viaggio! You will not want to leave Venice!
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM

There shouldn't be a fee to purchase your tickets from Amex or a travel agent.But it's pretty easy to go to the train station and purchase from the machines since there is an English language option. If you're nervous about it, go the day before and get the tickets. You are traveling very busy routes with hourly trains.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I don't remember if there was a fee or not, if there was, it was minimal. It was my first time traveling by train in Italy and I traveled alone with my child. For me it was piece of mind, I could see the next day's schedule and purchase the ticket from someone who spoke English. I'm sure it is no big deal to purchase at the train station but the first time is a little confusing just finding your track to leave from. Have lots of fun!!! I'll be there in a couple of weeks myself, can't wait.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will purchase from a travel agent or Amex office when I arrive!

Also - great advice Sarge on the seats to pick and where the luggage carriage is!

Have a great trip eboy!

8-)