I Amsterdam and other museum cards....

Jan 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I Amsterdam and other museum cards....

I'm going to amsterdam for 4 nights in March and wondering is it's worth it to purchase the museum cards. I've narrowed my selection of museums down to 4-6. Does the card allow you to skip the line? Is this worth the cost?
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
yk

I found the Netherlands Museum Card to be a better deal on my trip, but I was visiting some museums outside of Amsterdam. It is valid for 1 year.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM

4-6 Museums should pay for the card but, i've had passes the last several years, i do not think i could skip any lines - because you have to go to the ticket window and they give you a ticket, a free ticket, but a ticket that goes thru their counter machines.

I may remember wrong but in Jan the lines were not long - do it more for saving money than time.

I went to several museums in Amsterdam (and other Dutch cities) i would not normally have gone into - like the Amsterdam branch of St Petersburg's Hermitage and an old canal house and the City of Amsterdam Museum and loved them - central Amsterdam is so compact you can walk between most - like the Jewish History Museum in an old Synagogue and Rembrandt's House, etc. And then there was the fantastic Troppen Museum and near it the very well-done Dutch Resistance Museum - the Scheepvaart boat museum (perhaps still closed for renovations, etc.)

And it is good for one year in case you're coming back (or give it to a friend - no ID checks or pictures required)

Buy cards at any participating museum, which is nearly all of them - but not including the Anne Frank House.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM

If the Anne Frank house is on your list buy the tickets online, so you can jump any queue there is.
There is a special exhibition on at the Van Gogh from February through June which requires a surcharge to be paid and a timed entrance ticket to be purchased. Have a look at the museum webpage for more details.
The advantage of the i-amsterdam card is that it includes public transport and offers discounts at other places, but generally the museum pass is better value.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM

And with the National Museum Card you can come and go as you like - rather than having to do the whole Van Gogh or Rijksmuseum in one fell swoop - go have lunch come back or re-visit another day. Otherwise buying a regular ticket means only one entry.

The Rijksmuseum however was mainly shut down last winter with just the main works on display in one part - the rest being renovated. May be open this year?

And don't forget the Stedelijk Modern Art Museum, which is also closed for renovation - completely but parts of the collection - superb modern and cutting edge (flummoxing) art is located now on a floor or two of the old high-rise Post Office Tower next to Centraal Train Station - if going there hop the lift to the very top floor and a cafe and even if not open you may be able to take in a very nifty view of Amsterdam and its harbor area from a bird's eye view.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM

the Pass is also NOT good at the Hash Museum or the Sex Museum - the only two museums my son went to his first time in Amsterdam in about a week staying there!
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Given the exhibition I just mentioned you cannot re-enter the Van Gogh without buying another timed entry ticket so get that museum over and done with in one go. Once you are in you can stay as long as you like.
The Rijks is still being rebuilt and only has a fraction of its goodies on display. You can easily combine it with the Van Gogh.
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Any advice on the Sex Museum and Hash Museum? Timed entry?

Again Dank u
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Jan 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM

We used the Museum Card in October for five days -- it DOES allow you to skip the line for at least two major museums in Amsterdam -- Van Gogh and the Rijks. Van Gogh had a separate line and entry point for card holders and the Rijks (undergoing renovation) had signs indicating cardholders should go directly to the front. We also used it in The Hague and for smaller Amsterdam museums so thought it was great.

Have a wonderful trip!
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice!!
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM

I love the Troppen Museum, a bit out of the center but in a very neat neighborhood.

this is an anthropological museum it seems - lots of re-created street scenes from third-world venues and always something interesting. Great for kids and adults as well.

check it out.
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Tropen museum Pal, as in tropics
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks hetismij - i think in colonial days it was called the Dutch Colonial Museum? And now the Museum of the Tropics?

If going to Tropen Museum then the Dutch Resistance Museum is very close by and i found this place very very interesting - photos of Amsterdam and Holland under the Germans - very sad of course - and captions in English if i remember correctly.