Museum Cards or City Passes

Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Museum Cards or City Passes

We intend to visit museums and other attractions and use public transportation in each of the places listed below. Is there any card that is worth the purchase? Do they off US tourists senior rates on admissions and on travel costs?

Arrive Amsterdam on August 28th (AM)
Amsterdam- 4 nights
Delft - 3 nights (Do Harlaam, Rotterdam, and Hague)
Otterlo-2 nights
Bruges- 3 nights
Antwerp- 2 nights
Ghent- 2 nights
Brussels- 4 nights
Home Sept 17th AM
Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:56 AM

You do not get discounts on public transport. But then again neither do Dutch citizens without they buy a discount card.

You need to look at which museums you wan to visit in the Netherlands and see how many accept the Museumjaarkaart.
The Amsterdam card covers some but not all museums in Amsterdam and public transport only on GVB buses, trams and metro. Not on other companies buses or trams.

You could buy two anonymous OVchipcards and load them up with money so you can use them on the buses in other cities too. For the trains you are better off buying paper tickets since you have to have a lot of money on the OVchipkaart to use the trains. You can buy the chipcards at the GVB office opposite the station. Make it clear you want to be able to use them in other cities too.

You could buy a 48 hour pass for Amsterdam and buy tickets on the buses elsewhere but that is may be more expensive. Ask the people at teh GVB office for advice - they are used to dealing with tourists and will give you the best advice. Remember to check in and out with your card if you go for the OVchipkaart

You are probably better off visiting Haarlem from Amsterdam, since it is very close.
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM

the National Museum Kaart for Netherlands could be your ticket if you are going to only three or so major museums it may pay for itself then you can go to hundreds around the country also - valid for one year, buy at museum entrance - note does not cover Van Gogh Museum in Hooge Veluwe as I found out much to my chagrin after trekking out there - but dozens and dozens in Amsterdam - I ended up going to literally dozens of lesser museums in Amsterdam and other cities I would not normally paid for and was delighted once inside - like the Church in the Attic in Amsterdam and there also Dutch Resistance Museum, the Jewish Museum, Rembrandt House, Botanical Gardens, the City of Amsterdam museum, the Heritage's branch in Amsterdam and the Troppen Museum (wondrous collection of artifacts from Dutch colonial areas as well as re-created Third World street scenes and on and. A no-brainer IMO, the pass is. but if just going to the Big Three in Amsterdam on Museumplein - Van gogh, Rijksmuseum and Stedelijk Modern Art the pass about pays for itself.
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:02 AM

http://www.museumkaart.nl/

costs 40 euros - actually 39 euros and some change so a great deal for most folks.
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:19 AM

We bought the museumkaart on our recent trip to the Netherlands. In five days we saw 119 Euro worth of museums—it was definitely worth it for us. It allowed us to pop in to smaller museums that we wouldn't normally see and let us skip lines at the biggies. If you like museums I'd definitely recommend it.
Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM

Plus with the Museum Kaart you can come and go from say the Van Gogh Museum - pop in again the next day to see something else rather than having, by paying a one-shot admission, see it all at once. Come and go like the women that come and go, speaking of Michelangelo!
Jul 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM

I used the Holland Pass last month when I was in the Netherlands and was very impressed. You get a pass with tickets that you can use at museums and attractions or public transportation in Amsterdam or other Dutch cities. It's a great saving and I liked how it gave me flexibility to choose the places I wanted to visit. It comes with a discount card too, which you can use at shops and restaurants. I got a great deal on some Dutch cheese from a specialty cheese shop!

Here’s the website:
www.hollandpass.com