Hydra, Paros or Naxos?

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydra, Paros or Naxos?

My family is staying two nights in Athens, 3 in Santorini and 3 in Mykonos. We have 2 more nights to book in August. Any recommendation on an island? luxury hotel?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Paxos?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Naxos is well situated between Mykonos and Santorini on regular ferry routes.
Naxos has great beaches, villages and antiquities and would be quite a different experience from Santorini and Mykonos
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - Can you recommend a great hotel on the beach?
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM

I guess it all depends on your definition of Great.
We like to stay at a small family run hotel called Hotel Glaros which overlooks St George beach which is right in Naxos town. It is a basic hotel situated far enough from the center of town that it is quiet at night. The rooms are small, but there are better and larger deluxe rooms on the third floor. Best of all it is fairly inexpensive.

A larger hotel which is about 50 meters from St George beach is Naxos Royal. It is brand new and is beautifully appointed. It is probably twice the price. (Last year in May it was 80 Euros a night. You won't get that price in August)
There are several nice looking hotels along the west coast (which has several mile of nice sand beaches) I prefer to stay in town where the action is so I can't make a recommendation.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I love Hydra! It is beautiful! But tiny and sleepy
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Hi Cathyt,

My husband and I stayed in Naxos for a week last summer. We stayed at the Plaza Beach Hotel on Plaka Beach. It was close to a 30 minute bus ride into to town, which was not a big deal for us. We loved the location. Very few people on the sand beach. I can't remember how much the bus ride was, but I do rememeber it was really cheap. My only experience with Paros was the ferry unloading and loading people on when we were on our way to Naxos. I have been to Hydra once for the day and honestly wasn't that impressed. But then again, I was only there for a day and didn't really get to experience the island.

Have Fun!

Julie
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM

If you're going to both Santorini and Mykonos, you might want to try Naxos or Hydra for a change of pace. If you were to choose Paros, though, even with only 2 nights to spend there, it would be worth your while to go beyond the main port of Parika and take a bus to the north coast town of Naoussa and stay there. Parika is rather gritty; it has ferries coming and going at all hours and a road obliterates much of the waterfront. Naoussa feels more like the fishing village it still is, sort of. There are some ultra luxury places to stay there, too, like the Astir Paros some distance from town, if you're so inclined, and some very nice restaurants, too. We found a nice medium-sized place on a hill with a view overlooking the harbour (can't remember the name, unfortunately) and wound up staying there our whole 4 nights on the island (having rented a car to see the rest of the island). But two days to "do" Paros -- no way.

Where in the trip do you have 2 days to fill? In both of our lengthy Greek trips my girlfriend/wife and I found Hydra a perfectly relaxing place to start our travels with a good decompression i.e. to recover from 10 hours of jet lag and the stress of trying to get away from work. Hydra is a one-town island, with no cars or motor scooters, just boats, donkeys and your own two feet. We actually went to Hydra before we toured Athens (very close by hydrofoil) and, in the bustle of Athens, appreciated the energy we had after 3 days of blissful rest. As for where to stay: Hotel Bratsera, definitely: www.bratserahotel.com. It's worth spending the extra euros (158 of them in 2006) to get a "double superior room" -- they're in a much nicer part of the hotel than the standard rooms, and the Bratsera has a pool, which matters on Hydra because its few (smallish) beaches are some distance (i.e. 15 or 20 minutes walk unless you take a water taxi) away from the town and in August it will be hot. Hydra has a nice relaxed vibe to it which perhaps doesn't manifest itself until later in the day when the Athens daytrippers have retreated.

I agree that Naxos has lovely beaches and it is on the ferry path back towards Athens if you've been on Mykonos or Santorini. We thought the Hotel Galaxy was just great. Like the hotel mentioned by the previous poster, it's a bargain too, and on St. Georges beach: www.hotel-galaxy.com. It has very cleverly designed rooms -- attractive yet modern and functional Greek architecture. And the pool and the beach are right next to each other.

Have you been to Mykonos? It's not high on my list of islands to go back to. If I could plug one other island -- not to go to for 2 days since it's off the route to Santorini, which is a must-see island -- but as an alternative, it would be Sifnos. It has abundantly nice beaches but admittedly is short on the nightlife which Mykonos and Santorini have more of. Hotel Petali: www.hotelpetali.gr has wonderful views.