Paros vs. Naxos vs. ???

Feb 27th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Paros vs. Naxos vs. ???

My wife and I are headed to Greece in May for 8-9 days. We're flying into Athens, then immediately on to Santorini for 3 nights. We would then like to go to another island for another 3 nights - our thinking now is either Paros or Naxos. What can we expect from these islands? Any tips on where to stay? We're looking for somewhere to relax but also want to feel like we're in Greece, not just at a resort that could be anywhere!

We'll conclude our trip with 2 days in Athens.

Any suggestions - we'd love to hear them! Thanks!
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Both Naxos and Paros should be fairly quiet in May, at least in comparison with late June onward. I visited Paros on my last 2 trips to Santorini, and included Antiparos last year as well. What I enjoyed about Paros is the laid-back atmosphere, and if you find a room on the far side of the island from the ferry port, say in the charming seafront village of Pisso Livadi, you will have a chance to enjoy a very authentic 'slice' of Greece.
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM

I am not a huge help here, ,but, I have been to Paros,many years ago. What I recall is, Paros is the beach and the bar,small bars,lOl.

Since May is not quite prime beach time, perhaps Naxos is a better choice, does it have more sites??
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:55 AM

You've got that right, Naxos has more -- and I've been to Paros 3 times, most lately in 2006, so I have basis for comparison.

In Naxos, I suggest staying in St. George beach area, because you can have a beach view, and a walk along the sands, yet it's just a 5-10 minute level walk to the harborside crescent of Naxos town with its cafes, tavernas shops etc.

THere is so much to explore in Naxos town itself -- the winding mazey lanes up to top of town, THREE unique museums up there, one in a Venetian tower! The Portara on a causeway... golden sunsets on the waterfront.. Many lovely shops (this will perhaps make you sad, when you discover things at half the price you paid in Santorini) -- and good traditional taverna food at 10-11E for a hearty meal. Also, at dinner, instead of cruise ship groups you'll be surrounded by Naxians in May, enjoying an evening out.

One of your 3 days, rent a car @35E at most, tootle around island -- mountains! ancient ruins! men shearing sheep! tavernas in tiny village squares! ancient kouros statues lying around! .. and 15 mi. of white sand beaches.

Don't take my word for it -- look at this slide show by Fodorite favorite stanbr
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT
THen go to this list and pick out a small family-run St. George hotel for about 35-55E per night for double with balcony & sea view -- sorry (hehe)that I can't offer you something as pricey as Santorini !!

http://www.naxos-island-greece.com/n...os-hotels.html
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM

I second (third?) the response - Naxos, Naxos, Naxos.
It's lovely, do get a car, enjoy the beaches, resonably priced meals.
Zunrise