Hvar or Korkula?

Search

Hvar or Korkula?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hvar or Korkula?

I am having a hard time choosing between Hvar or Korkula. We will be there for 3 days, as part of a 2 weeks vacation. Other places we want to visit during this time: 4 days in Istria, 2 days Plitvice Lakes, 2 days Split (with a trip to Split to see the Diocletian’s Palace) and 3 days in Dubrovnik.

We enjoy the sea and the coast, small/picturesque villages, good food. Beach is not important but a place to be able to snorkel would be a bonus. We are in our late 30s and plan on being there in September. I realize that everyone has different reasons to like one or another, but which one of the 2 islands would you go to and why?
Thanks
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM

I loved Korkula, it was an extremely clean town/island, and all the locals seemed extremely friendly. The water is crystal clear, and snorkelling is possible. There are many beautiful houses/arpartments that seem relatively new right across from the sea coast, near the port, olt town and outdoor market.
Split is also very nice, but I think I was a little dissapointed with the Diocletians Palace. The visit took under an hour.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:47 PM

I visited Korcula for 1 day - I have been to Hvar for the past 3 years. Korcula is very near the mainland - Hvar faces west towards Italy. I think Hvar has stronger vibe than Korcula - and St. Stephan's square and the view from the fortress above Hvar are fantastic. Korcula is pleasent but I thought it needed a good restoration effort. I've not explore the rest of Korcula. I have explored Hvar pretty extensively - Stari Grad, Zavala, Pitve. My vote is for Hvar.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both.
For some reason I was leaning towards Hvar – but I had nothing to justify this decision. Because we want to experience one of the islands, Hvar, further away from mainland sounds like a better option. Carta_Pisana, I appreciate your input, you seem to know a lot about Croatia.
Now I just need to figure out how to get to Hvar from Split on a Monday (in Sept) and how to get from there to Dubrovnik on Thursday.
We will not stay in Split, but in Trogir. I think I said in the original post we’ll be 2 days in Split – no, 2 days in Trogir with a day-trip to Diocletian’s Palace. Intex, was the Palace visit disappointing? Why? Or Split itself?
Thanks again.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM

September will be high season so there should be at least one catamaran running every day - which only takes 1 hr either way. The bus ride from Split to Dubrovnik is about 4 hours (maybe 4 1/2) - there are numerous buses daily. I've only passed through Split - I'm in the camp that doesn't really care for Split. I'm hoping to spend some time in Trogir and Plitvice next year. I only know a little bit about Croatia - I'm still getting to know the country.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:35 AM

It is Korcula, pronounced "Kor-choo-la", not "Korkula".
Both Hvar and Korcula are beautiful and are both worth visiting, though I personally prefer Hvar.
From Split to Hvar, the main ferry service goes to Stari Grad at least three times a day; on the quayside, buses and taxis wait to take people to Hvar town. There are less frequent sailings from Split to Hvar town.
From Hvar to Dubrovnik, Jadrolinija's coastal ship runs from Stari Grad to Dubrovnik on some days, otherwise get a ferry to Split, then a bus - the bus station in Split adjoins the ferry terminal and they leave nearly every hour.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:25 AM

xyz99,
Split was not dissapointing, just the Palace, I guess I was anticipating much more. The palace is right on the main street, which runs alongside the waterfront. At one time the palace was on the water itself. Split is very nice, seems like a beach town, but from my perspective not much to do more than one day. The people were Extremely friendly, as I have found throughout Croatia, and also very handsome. I am thinking of sending my two single boys!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

OK, so it seems more people vote for Hvar. Now, Hvar town or Stari Grad?
GeoffHamer, thank you for the Korcula pronunciation.
Intex, I guess I need to read some more about the Palace. If we decide not to visit it, we will spend the entire day in Trogir, which I hear is worth it. We love small towns, so I’m sure we’ll enjoy it.
Thank you all.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Being that it's your first time - Hvar town (Grad). A good friend joined me this year - I was going to stay in Stari Grad being that I had stayed in Hvar Grad the past 2 years. But being my friend's first time - I thought it best to stay in Hvar Grad. I really like Stari Grad - but it's a quiet village. Hvar Grad has lots of buzz and a great vibe.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Definitely Korcula! I'm ready to move there, seriously. It is such a quiet, FRIENDLY, beautiful area. Hvar is more touristy, Korcula more "homelike". I have seriously been following the progression of a new resort, hoping to get in at the ground level when it's ready.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM

I only passed by Korcula on the ferry but it was clearly much bigger. It depends what you want, I liked Hvar because it was very small, very simple and gorgeous.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM

We were supposed to go to Korcula, but got "stuck" in Hvar. We just fell in love with it. Someday we'll make it to Korcula.

And we actually only went to Hvar town for a day...the rest of the week was spent in Starigrad. I agree that Hvar Town has more of a vibe, and is prettier in some ways than Starigrad. But we stayed in Starigrad because we got picked up by the ferrymaster when we realized there was no bus to Hvar town when we landed (it was off season). So he rented us his upstairs unit of his home, which was gorgeous, at about USD$9 a night, and we couldn't get ourselves to leave. So I guess Starigrad to us was about the people, as we got invited to people's homes for dinner, etc.

But I agree with the others...if it's your first time, go Hvar town.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow, after so many replies, this is no easy decision. We will probably spend a few days on Hvar. DH voted for the more ‘touristzy’ place of the two. We are planning 3 days, so who knows, maybe a day trip to Korcula? It will depend on the ferry, if there is any service (both ways in a day) in September.
Thank you all for all the responses. I’m getting very excited about this trip.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM

There may be a day excursion to Korcula from Hvar. There are also excursions to Bol, Vis, etc. I would suggest, if you're interested in going to Bol - go to Jelsa early one morning anf do sn excursion to Bol from there. Boat excursions from Hvar to Bol take about 2 1/2 hours each way - from Jelsa, 35 minutes.