Husband Needs Jacket Soon

Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Husband Needs Jacket Soon

Looking for a lightweight- unlined if possible, man's jacket, something with lapels that will be O.K. for a nice restaurant in London or Paris, the south of France and even Capri[necessary?] It appears to us that Orvis charges quite a bit more for this item than Travel Smith [there have been complaints about their quality on this forum]. He has worn a blue blazer but that seems to bring out all the pickpockets! The last one, which we thought was a good buy at Macy's, soon had it lining dragging.
And as we usually travel on public transportation it was constantly a wrinkled mess. Would appreciate any ideas! Thanks.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:12 PM

Territory ahead catalog was where we bought his jacket unlined for travel.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:53 PM

We've had excellent luck with TravelSmith -- no quality problems.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:02 PM
ed

I bought the TavelSmith travel blazer, the one with many pockers, and have used it on several trips. Works fine as a travel garment with all the pockets for passport, tickets amd assorted necessities(?). It also works as a jacket for dinners where such is required:-B
Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:12 PM
dln

Another source for good quality travel clothing is www.magellans.com. They have a nice looking microfiber khaki blazer for men (and plenty of clothing for the ladies, too).

Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:13 PM

Marilyn: I've heard contrasting views on the quality of the Travelsmith clothing and have, therefore, not bought any of their clothes. However, they seem to have the only women's travel blazer that I'm looking for. Do you happen to have this particular piece of their's? Comments?
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:17 PM

I do have a travel blazer from them, Holly, but I don't know if it's the same one. I usually buy Travelsmith stuff either at their outlet store or at their annual warehouse sale, and I have a lot of their clothing (so does my husband). I've never had a problem with quality, even with some samples that were not actually produced so not subject to the usual quality control.

They seem to have a liberal return policy so if you are not satisfied, or if the garment does not hold up well, I think you will not get stuck. (I have seen items at the warehouse sale that have been returned for minor problems so I assume they have given that customer a credit or refund.)

My travel blazer, by the way, held up quite well on a month-long trip to England and France. I loved all the pockets, so convenient for tickets and passport when flying, and it was dressy enough to wear out to dinner in Paris.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM

Thanks for responding, Marilyn. I just might have to give this one a shot. I do wish they had an outlet store in my neighborhood.
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Intrepid

The travel blazer from Magellans is excellent.

Aug 4th, 2003, 03:07 AM

Another place to look for a travel jacket is www.llbean.com
Aug 4th, 2003, 03:56 AM
ira

Hi daph,

I suggest either Lands End or LL Bean.