Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

TravelSmith "Travel Sport Jacket" worth it?

Old Nov 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calling on you well-seasoned, traveling men out there: For a trip to Italy in Spring 2010, I am considering purchasing the Men's World-Class Microfiber Sport Coat from TravelSmith for my husband. As clothing goes, it's not *that* expensive ($189), but I'm wondering if it really is as "wrinke proof" as claimed, or whether his regular navy sport jacket from home will do just fine. Can't find relevant reviews on line, so am turning to you. Thanks, gentlemen!
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM

I would never consider buying any sport jacket unless in person. Such a garment must be tried on and, in many cases, tailored so it actually looks good when being worn. That requires services of a tailor and sometimes more than one fitting. Go with the current jacket and consider one of those little travel steam thingies to remove wrinkles.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM

My Dh doesn't even bother with the steam thing, just hang the jacket in a steamy bathroom. A lot of the new fabrics hang out wrinkles. I never have had to doa thing with his blazer that I've packed.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
MDH does have a black microfiber sportcoat that is absolutely wonderful for traveling. Unfortunately it's not from Travelsmith, but I wouldn't hesitate to replace it when needed from the Travelsmith site. He does have the pants with the hidden zipper pocket inside of the front slash pocket from Travelsmith and they are great.

I also have several items from them and never have been disappointed.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My husband never takes a sports coat to Europe. Where do you think your husband will need his?
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Except for cruises I never take a sport coat or have need for one.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
RJD

I've used an LL Bean jacket that's very similar for several trips. Especially like the security pockets and the fact that it looks good even after extensive use. With a jacket you're ready to tour a museum and go for a nice lunch later. I prefer to wear one if weather permits.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM

You don;t need a travel steam thingy to remove wrinkles. Just hang the garment in the bathroom and run the hot water in the shower until the room is steamy. About 10 mintes hanging will get wrinkles out of almost anything.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Oh - and a regular blazer or sport jacket is just fine - that's what both my beau and my brother have been taking for years.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Seconding RJB. I have had both, and the Beans' are more durable, though I currently have two Bean's travel blazers, same size, different fit. I always wear one when traveling because it makes it easy to carry everything I need with relative security. They still look respectable after a night on the plane, which is more than I can say for the rest of me.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM

For wrinkle proof and spot proof get a herring-bone wool sport coat. For the best price go to your local Salvation Army store. It will be less than $25. Leave it in the closet when you check out on your last night.
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow, lots of different perspectives! Thank you, all. Jean and fmpden, I've found that in Italy, everyone is pretty well-dressed by American standards. And all the men I see have on a aport jacket...admittedly, not a suit..but defintley a step up from what we're accostumed to here....
Thanks, all! I think we'll go with the one he has and just hang it in the shower when needed. Genteel wrinkles are always 'in'.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 04:17 AM

If you are planning dinners out at high-end restaurants, then do get it. However, DH quit taking a sports coat after our first trip in 1998!

I dare say the Italian men you saw in jackets had jobs. We did see in bars and bistros older gentlemen in suits reading the paper over coffee.

spaarne, that is an inspired idea! DH and I have discussed taking 2 weeks worth of old clothes and leaving them behind so we could return with bags filled with souvenirs!
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 04:44 AM

If men don't wear a sports coat or jacket while travelling, then what do they wear? How can passport, money, papers, maps and everything else be carried? And in Spring it probably will not be warm enough for shirtsleeves. Not only businessmen wear jackets, it is normal wear in a European city unless you are very young and casual.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My husband is not very young, but he is casual. He likes a bomber jacket style, and he has several in a range of fabrics for different weather/temp conditions.

"How can passport, money, papers, maps and everything else be carried?"

Just call me his sherpa.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM

I normally wear a herringbone sport coat. Last spring I wore a leather bomber jacket around England and Ireland, greased up with mink oil to repel the drizzle. There are plenty of pockets. It was perfect. I bought that at the Salvation Army store also.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I agree with the "bomber" type jacket. I have a couple of leather ones. They are pretty much water-proof, have zip-out liners, a ton of zip or velcro pockets and look ok.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM

During the day my DH wears a bomber jacket , leather or waterproof. But in the evenings we like to dine at better places and a jacket is more appropriate. What you take depends on where you are planning on dining. Though in late fall or early winter he will often take a herringbone or camel hair blazer to wear during the day. Lots warmer than a sweater
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:37 AM

DH has an all-weather jacket ("Timberland" is inside label) with pockets galore. It is black and medium weight and has a hood tucked into the collar somehow. He carries a tote in which to put umbrellas, maps and our small purchases.

On a mini-trip one time, I realized I wouldn't be warm enough and went to Goodwill and grabbed a leather jacket for $35. Wore it for several years! spaarne, I believe we are related!
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
kja

My experience with TravelSmith is that if it says "guaranteed wrinkleproof", it is. I've found their quality inconsistent -some items I've purchased from them have been well made and stylish, while others have been poorly constructed or clunky. Fortunately, they have a no-questions asked returns policy.

Hope that helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information