Search

Clothing: Website suggestions - Good travel clothing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing: Website suggestions - Good travel clothing

Hi

We are about 16 days from our wedding and 18 from our honeymoon to Italy. I have posted before but just in case---We'll be away for the first two weeks in October. We start on the Amalfi Coast - Positano, then off to Rome, Tuscany and Venice. I have a few things in mind for packing and know all about layering. Since the weather could be warm to cool to rainy we need a variety of things. I am looking for some suggestions on websites that offer great travel pants ( not jeans) or capri's or skirts. I have been to EMS and Prana's sites but am wondering if there is something out there I am missing. Thanks for any help.

Robyn
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Try LL Bean (www.llbean.com). The travel stuff I have ordered from them has been of better quality than things I have gotten from some of the [names omitted] specialized travel suppliers.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM

Take a look at Title 9 Sports or Horny Toad. Horny Toad makes a pair of black pants that look great and are really comfortable for travelling. I like them because they don't wrinkle and they actually look like dress pants not sweats.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM

They may be too "old" for you, but I find that lined, tropical wool pants fold up very flat, travel well, and are comfortable in many temperatures. Banana Republic always has a nice selection. Get a pair of black ones, and they'll be great in every city.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chicos or TravelSmith
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM

www.bluefly.com
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM

The prices on Travelsmith clothes on HSN.com are sometimes cheaper than going direct (I think).
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/sf/default.as...Smith_0812*img
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I don't think people have to buy 'travel' clothing.
I only buy wash/wear, perma-press type clothes anyway, and already have to 'layer' b/c it's hot outside but freezing in the office, etc.
Of course, it is fun to have some new things, especially for a special trip like yours. But you can probably find what you want at 'normal' prices in your local stores, rather than pay higher prices for 'special' clothing that sometimes isn't that great of quality.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never buy travel clothes either. I just pick from my closet my favorites appropriate to the season, in fabrics that mix and match, and pack well.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I don't buy "travel clothes", but I travel so frequently that I almost always consider the "travelability" of everything I buy. Travel staples:

1) Chino-type trousers (e.g. Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic, Land's End) that have a small amount of lycra (too much and you end up looking and feeling like a sausage). I avoid packing too much crisp black/navy or anything white/cream (for trousers or skirts). Black and navy pick up too much lint and crisp fabrics don't stay crisp for long. White and cream get dirty too easily. I stick with mid-tone, often heathery colours - they already look linty: grey, mid-blue, khaki, tan. Check out some of the end-of-season sales on websites for summer weight stretch chinos.

2) Twin sets, in cotton, silk or a blend. (I can't wear wool against my skin, so no woolly ones.) The tank layers under other clothes, the cardigan goes over sleeveless dresses, etc. The two together will see you from morning to night in the temperatures you're going to encounter.

2) A neutral, zip-up close-fitting polar fleece jacket. Mine's black and from Mountain Equipment Coop - no obvious logos. It takes up very little space, it adds the essential layer of warmth I sometimes need in the evening, even on hot days. It's neutral enough that I can layer it under a dressier lightweight raincoat - e.g. if I'm travelling for business through 3 climates and don't want to pack a heavy coat. I can take both the fleece and the coat off when I get to the restaurant or meeting, and no one is the wiser. But I can also drag it through the dirt, and wash it easily in the hotel sink. I lived in it when I underpacked, temperature-wise, for a 6 week trip to New Zealand a few years ago. I wanted to burn it when I got home, but I'm glad I didn't.

3) Neutral rain jacket-type shell. Mine is a black running shell. It's definitely a bit sporty-looking when you see it close up, but it's quite plain-looking from a distance.

4) A couple of pashminas (black and a bright colour). Cover up your shoulders when you enter a church, use it as a light throw when you take a nap at the hotel, wear it out in the evening, use it as a blanket for the top half of you on the plane (I never let the airplane blanket anywhere near my face). The silk/cashmere ones made by Tie Rack scrunch down to almost nothing.

5) Lighweight polar fleece gloves. (I bought them when I was freezing during the so-called New Zealand spring.) It's amazing how much warmer you'll be if you put gloves on when it's cold. Again, they take up no space - so I take them with me anywhere the temperature is likely to drop below 12C.

6) In addition to the "sexy honeymoon" lounge clothes, don't forget to pack something lightweight and comfortable for lounging - e.g. a pair of gauze cotton drawstring trousers and a tank top or tshirt. It's nice to be able to wear something comfortable for a few hours after you get back from sightseeing and before you head out for dinner.

7) Don't forget to save room to buy a new leather jacket (or two) when you get to Rome.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the feedback.....I have been looking in my closet for things I wear now but have lost some weight and need a few new things anyway, two reasons to buy new clothes! I have been to the GAP, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and the Loft and have been having no luck. I did find a few things here and there but not much. I have an LLBean rain jacket, light weight and folds up easily. I am looking for a polar fleece that packs well and is thin but warm all the ones I have now are bulky. Thanks for the suggestions and I will continue my search. Any more advice is always welcome!

Robyn
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Try www.REI.com. In addition to their own brands, they carry many mentioned here---Horny Toad, Ex Officio, Prana, etc. I like Royal Robbins travel clothes as well. I beleive REI has their nice microfleece zip jacket---lightweight and compact, but very warm, and with no logos so it can be quite dressy.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Also try Boston Proper, Athleta, and Sahalie. Their web sites are nothing more than their names. (I still haven't taken the time to figure out the tinyurl thing)
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Hi - just wanted to post and say congrats on your wedding and honeymoon! We are 24 days from our wedding and 22 days til we land in Rome. Then off to Amalfi Coast and then Venice. So we'll be following your footsteps!

It is crazy and wonderful to be planning a wedding and this fabulous trip! But, I certainly wouldn't trade it! Wishing you all the best!

Sorry - no help on the pants. I would love to find that perfect pair, too - that look fabulous and travel well. Maybe check out Ross, Marshalls, TJMaxx...
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Try Jcrew, they have fashionable chino's and/or cargo pants. They also have lightweight layering t-shirts. Last I invested in a cashemre black pashima that works as a blanket, scarf, wrap etc.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I agree with the posters that said they usually don't buy travel clothes as they have enough to choose from in their closets. It was very easy for me travelling to Norway and Paris, I was travelling by train, boat, bus, etc. the NIN tour so I wore my black workout stretch type pants some longer, some capri length, and a comfortable jersey top. In Paris, a black or brown pair of capris and a nice top. Easy, comfortable and easy to pack.

If you're doing alot of walking as we were, start your wardrobe with your shoes, that is, the most comfortable you have. Norway is easy as everyone wears comfortable shoes unless they are in a very dressey outfit. Paris, was almost as casual, but I had a pair of shoes that would do for walking and one for just strolling and sitting.

One more thing, I took too many blouses that needed ironing and since the hotels did not have them in the rooms it was a pain to go to the "laundry room" to iron. Try to bring only clothes that won't need pressing.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I got a great fleece cardigan at patagonia.com - it looks dressier than a jacket, and it is just about as warm. I just took it on a trip to Scandinavia, and it was a little too warm, but it would probably be good for October. Hoping this is the link (it is the Curly Q Caridgan): http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod.../INSULATION#yc
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

keep the responses coming- love the advice- The link to the patagonia website is so helpful....I agree with not wanting to buy extra travel clothing just for this trip but I do want things that pack well that can also be worn when I am home. I am having a hard time finding skirts, I know its going to be amazing but I understand why summer travel is easier....tank tops, capri's and flip flops and your done....the in between temps makes me have to think about this too much ! LOL....
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:51 AM
LJ

Tilley Endurables-best value for money-last FOREVER-smart and lots of size and variety of style for everything from hats to undies-www.tilley.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:46 AM

I didn't purchase travel clothes before. i have just purchased season dresses with online shops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -