How's my Itinerary for Italy Looking??

Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's my Itinerary for Italy Looking??

Me, Hubby & 2 teens (13 &16yrs) travelling in Sept 2014 for 21 nights.

Have to fly in and out of Milan.

Arrive Milan & fly to Naples- transfer to Positano on the Amalfi Coast (transfer includes stop at pompeii). - 6 nights Positano AC

Train from Naples to Rome - 5 nights Rome

Train from Rome to Florence - Hire car - 3 Nights in Chianti

Drop off car outside Florence - 3 nights in Florence

Train from Florence to Venice - 3 nights Venice

Train from Venice to Milan - 1 night Milan

Fly home.

Two major questions….. Are we staying in Rome for too long??
…………………………….Should we do 4 nights Chianti, 2 nights Florence??
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 06:57 PM

I think you need at least three days in Florence, so I wouldn't change that. I think being able to give 5 days to Rome is also great. There is so much to see and do within the city ,but you can also take day trips if you choose to Orvieto or Ostia Antica, etc etc. It sounds like a grand vacation. My only concern is that you are moving a lot and that takes up some of your time and can be exhausting. A young, energetic family will have no problem though. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:00 PM

I think 5 nights in Rome is just fine - DH & I stayed for 7 nights and were able to see almost everything on our list. If you see all the sights in the city you can always do a day-trip to Ostia Antica.
http://www.ostia-antica.org/

You might consider trimming one night from Positano AC and adding it to Florence. Maybe some other posters can weigh in on that. I've never been to Positano, so I don't know if 6 nights it too many or not. Florence has so much to see (art, museums, etc); but maybe teens would enjoy Positano more.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM

Not too much time anyplace.
Positano and the whole coast has so much to offer, you will run out of time, not things to do. Also, the first day will be too jet lagged to do a lot.
Rome, one never runs out of things to do.
OTOH, if you could take a day from any other place, I would add it to Venice.
With teens, two days is plenty in Florence.

My one suggestion:
Swap time frame of Chianti and Florence
Early train from Rome to Florence so you have most of the day for sightseeing there.
Next whole day, Florence (two nights, Florence)
Add the extra day/night to Venice or keep it in Florence and do a day trip to Sienna or Luca.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, they are very helpful.

Sassafrass- thank you so much, you have basically helped me plan my entire trip!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
kja

"Are we staying in Rome for too long?" -- It really depends on your interests, but in general: 5 nights in Rome is NOT too much. If anything, it could be too little.

"Should we do 4 nights Chianti, 2 nights Florence?" -- Again, it really depends on your interests. Example: I spent 5 full days in Florence (no day trips), and did not see everything I hoped to see. But my interests in art and architecture are probably more intense than those of the average traveller.

Your plan sounds do-able to me, assuming it was planned based on the specific interests that you and your family members have.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Visiting Pompeii on arrival day is not a good idea. You will be too jet-lagged and Pompeii will be a blur.

I wouldn't go to Florence twice. Take the train to Orvieto or Chiusi to pick up the car and start the Chianti portion (I would stay southern Tuscany/Val d'Orcia instead of Chianti). After Chianti, drop your car in Florence.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 11:08 PM

HC,

Kyb is right. Glad she noticed.
I missed that you were stopping in Pompeii on your way to Positano after flying into Milan and into Naples, too much for such a jet lagged day. You will have to allow more time for going back and forth, but do it on a day when you are more rested. You could stop in Pompeii on your day departing Positano and going to Rome.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM

I agree that the timing for Pompeii is off, as others have said, you will be jetlagged and just plain old tired by then.

Perhaps you could trim one night from Positano and stay a night in Sorrento or Naples and visit Pompeii from there.

I hope you have a lovely trip and that you all fall madly in love with Italy!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 07:34 AM
ekc

Definitely see Pompeii on your way to Rome and just deal with getting to Positano the first day.

I spend a week in Pos each year, so IMO 6 days is a good amount of time. Lots to see and do in the area.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:14 AM
ekc

One other note - what happens if your flight to Milan is delayed so you miss the flight to Naples?
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! Ok Pompeii is out on the way to Positano. We will do a day trip here or on the return as suggested.

Still tossing up re Tuscany and Florence…… but i guess bottom line, we prefer wine and relaxation more than history & museums.

ekc- Have thought about the delayed flight and missing the connex, but we have just decided to bite the bullet and take a chance. It is not a tight connection (approx 3 hours) so hopefully we will be ok.

You are all brilliant, thank u!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 08:39 PM

Sounds like a lovely trip to me. And those would be good amounts of time. In Venice, stay at an out of the way hotel and it will seem too relaxing to want to leave. I LOVED the Ca'Dogaressa in Canareggio. Some say it's too far away from main sights, but I find in Venice, nothing is far away. I also really enjoyed the Ca'd'Oro but the Ca'Dogaressa has canal side seating for breakfast, that is hard to beat and it's closer to the train station. Also, with our two boys we stayed in the junior suite that has three windows on the Canareggio Canale. If yours are willing to share a pull out. I've stayed in both places twice plus other hotels in Venice from cheap to expensive. And I love to share, let me know if you want more info. Cheers!
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 07:25 AM
ekc

If you do miss your flight to Naples, it looks like there are hourly trains between Milan and Naples. It would be a 4 hour train ride, but you would get there at least!

We have stayed in the Dorsoduro area of Venice and really enjoyed it. Across the Grand Canal from the maddening crowds, yet still easy to access the sights.

Since you will really only have 5 days in Positano, I would not take an entire day trip to see Pompeii - it is easily doable on your way to Rome. There is a left luggage facility at Pompeii where you can store your luggage while you tour the sight.

Let me know if you need a recommendation for a driver when you are in Pos.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM

The only place you might be staying too long is Positano - depending on what you are expecting. Granted the AC is a seaside resort - most of the beaches are poor at best - pebbles or even rocks versus beautiful broad white sand and pounding waves (I'm used to the north atlantic).

I do have a question about arrival though.

Are you arriving in Milan and on the SAME day also flying to Naples, then making a stop at Pompeii and going on to Positano?

If so I think you will be totally jet-lagged, overwhelmed and not really have time for Pompeii (which is worth at least 4 or 5 hours - and tends to be incredibly hot - with NO shade - fr most of the day. Best seen first thing in the am and get out by lunch.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM

I concur with Cathies re logistics of Pompeii--we've discussed this on another thread. I'd consider cutting one nite from Positano and staying either in Naples or Sorrento for a nite, visiting Pompeii via train, and returning to Naples and on to Rome. That way, you'll arrive in the cool of the morning at Pompeii. Advantage of Sorrento is that it's beautiful. Advantage of Naples is that there is a lot to do, and you could visit the National Archaeological Museum the day you arrive--an invaluable adjunct to Pompeii.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

ekc- I would be interested in a driver recommendation in Pos & thank u for your help.

bsmithstucky - Any info you have to share i would love to read. ATM we are booked into hotel wildner at st marks square in venice….. Thoughts???

Thanks again everyone. Your suggestions are great!