How to Plan Sunday in Paris

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Plan Sunday in Paris

I am putting the final touches on my Paris itinerary and I am trying to plan my Sunday, realizing I will not be able to fit this all in, but I would like to do as much as feasible. On recommendations from here, these are the things I would like to do:

Notre Dame for early a.m. mass , Marais market, Bird Market, St. Sulpice for 11:45 mass, Mouffetard market, Jacques M.(sp) Museum and maybe brunch there, and Place Medard to hear the accordianist and watch the people dance. I realize it's a lot, but is there any way I can organize this to fit in as much as I can? or if you have any other suggestions that would be great.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Hi Barb,

Wow - that's quite an ambitious itinerary for Sunday. I don't think the Mouffetard market lasts beyond 12:00 (could be wrong). I've been there but much earlier. The Rue Cler market is pretty much closed up by 12:00. What time is the accordanist at St-Medard? Afternoon?

I would either skip Notre Dame or St-Sulpice. My choice would be Mass at St-Sulpice since you won't get as many tourists. I was there for Mass in April and found the music and choir very moving. Sit on the right side of the church - that's where the choir master and choir are located.

The bird market is just ok, but I'm not much of a bird lover. Don't know the Marais market but the Mouffetard market is great.

Do the Jacquemart-Andre in the later afternoon since it's open until 6:00 and so is the cafe.

You could do the marais market, bird market, mouffetard market, St-Medard, St-Sulpice, and Jacquemart-Andre in that order and get it all in. St-Sulpice isn't so far from rue Mouffetard (15 minutes??) so you should be able to make it for 11:45 Mass.

Sounds like fun!

adrienne
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Behind Notre Dame is that tiny bridge where street performers entertain the strolling people.
On a sunny Sunday it's my favorite spot.

Have fun,

==Mike
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Maybe I will just do Notre Dame on another day. I will also look for the tiny bridge with the street performers, that's the kind of thing I just love. I can't remember what time the accordianist is at Place Medard. I did a text search, but could't find anything. Anyone know?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:12 AM

Don't think that will work for Mouffetard, or other things. YOu are going to a mass at 11:45, if I read that correctly. So you couldn't go to Mouffetard and a museum AFTER mass and then go to brunch (it will be late afternoon at the earliest by that time, won't it? I stayed there for a few weeks this summer, and the market there winds down by noon or early afternoon, as I recall. Most of them do, actually. This is a major food market, so I don't really think you'd want to go to that, and then carry groceries to a museum and around with you. Maybe I don't understand where you are staying. If you just want to look at the stuff, that's another story. They do have a few non-food things there, but nothing that special.

Sue recently talked about this in her posts and trip reports, which are easy to find with a search as I just did (FYI you are spelling it wrong, just type in accordionist and hit France).

The sing-along folks are there around noon.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM

PS nobody was dancing when I was there, but there was singing.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

I am staying on Rue des Ecoles in 5th. I probably wouldn't be buying anything at the markets, I just wanted to experience them. So, maybe I could go to the markets early, then St. Sulpice for the concert/mass, which starts at 11:30 and lasts 30 min. Maybe I would still have time to catch the accordionist, who is supposed to be there at 12:00. Then maybe buy some picnic stuff for a picnic in Luxenbourg Gardens. Then that afternoon I could go to Jacquemart-Andre and maybe have a glass of wine in the cafe. Est-ce que c'est possible?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi Barb,

Do you know for sure that St-Sulpice has an 11:30 Mass? They have one at 10:30 which lasts over 1 hour. According to the catholic-paris.com web site which lists churches and Mass times the next Mass (after 10:30) at St-Sulpice is 12:05. The organist does play before and after the 10:30 Mass. Is this what you were planning to do - just hear the organ and not attend Mass?

If you do go to St-Sulpice take a look at the Delacroix frescoes (to the right as you enter). There's a box with a button for lighting.

As an option you could attend Vespers during the week at one of the churches.

adrienne
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne: You are right, there is a mass at 10:30 and 12:05 and the organ concert starts at 11:30 to 12:00, which is what I would especially like to see/hear. Is it possible to just go for that? If so, I might be able to see the accordionist too.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:43 PM

BArb...without reading this very carefully.. In the latest Bonjour Paris there has been a report on what the expats who live in Paris consider the very best street market.. Saxe[ Breteuil , on Thursdays and Saturdays..you might consider that as it lasts more hours than RM ..and draws vendors from the provinces with cheeses,fish,fruit,etc. Don't get me wrong RM is fun especially on a Sunday but if your time is limited and you want a market to visit this might be an option.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Hi Barb,

You can walk around the church between Masses, or sit down in a chair and listen to the organ. There's also an organ prelude to the 10:30 Mass which begins at 10:15. If you just want a flavor of the organ music you might consider that and then head off to Mouffetard.

If you are Catholic and plan on attending Mass on Sunday (as indicated in your original post - Notre Dame), you might consider St-Sulpice. The music, choir, and Mass combined was a deeply moving experience.

adrienne
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne: great idea about going at 10:15 for the organ music before the 10:30 mass. I am not Catholic, but I thought maybe of going to Mass at either ND or St. S., but for time sake this makes much more sense. Thanks everyone for your help as always.