How to interpret hotel prices

Jun 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

How to interpret hotel prices

We have booked a room in Rovinj, Croatia. Below is an email from them. If I understand it correctly they are saying EUR 220 per night.

How do you interpret it? and why in Euros?

I have emailed them again but no response yet.

"thank you for your request, we still have availibility of a double room sea-view for the period (21.-23.07.). The price would be EUR 110 per night and person with breakfast.
If you wish to book the room, please send us a confirmation with your credit card details ASAP.
Best regards,
Hotel Angelo d'oro"
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Yes, the reservation is per person so you are correct in saying 220 euros a night. They are probably using euros for the transaction as it is the most common currency for tourists coming to Croatia to use when making hotel reservations.I have run across numerous hotels throughout Europe that there country's currency is NOT on the euro but chose to use it for easier transactions via a credit card. I just had a Copenhagen hotel charge me in euros as opposed to kroners because it was a more common currency for most of their quests.
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Sorry-did not double check my writing. I should have used "their" instead of "there"...
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi wn,

I would ask for a quote in local currency.

You can be certain that the hotel is making money by converting into USD or Euro "for your convenience".

Jun 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM

dutyfree, did the Copenhagen hotel add an extra charge for the Euro price? Was it another variant of dynamic currency conversion, where the merchant often adds several extra percent? However, in Denmark generally they often add 4% for the use of a "foreign" credit card, which is one reason I tried not to use them there.
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM

No, the Copenhagen hotel did not add extra fees.The price in Kroners was pretty close to the Euro conversion.
Jun 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I think Copenhagen situation is different. I mean, they are not at the Euro zone but do belong to EU. So, while they don't use it in their country, most their "business" is actually made in Euros and they take them at the conversion rate, no scam, because the banks don't apply taxes for the exchange. So, for them is just the same, and for the tourist is probably cheaper to buy euros than kroner.
Croatia is different..Euro is a much more powerful currency. I wonder if they really want the payment in Euros, or just quoted that for easy information (I mean, to avoid you to do the conversion).
Jun 5th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Hi
There's a web site XE.com that's a universal currency converter, It will convert the EU 110 into whatever currency you want. It does seem to me it is EU 110 pp. Dom't forget that English is not their first language and many times the messages come across formal because of it.
Jun 5th, 2006, 04:12 AM

I hope in your return e-mail to them you asked them to clarify the rate for TWO people occupying the room just to be certain.

They could be quoting in Euros since the majority of their patrons are probably used to that currency as a benchmark of cost.

And as a general rule, everybody who converts currency makes something, including your bank through an ATM, etc.
Jun 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM

The value of the Croatian kuna is linked to the euro. Euros are used for many transactions in Croatia, even between Croatians. When Croatia was part of the old Yugoslavia, most hotels quoted prices in Deutschmarks and converted to local currency at the day's rate.
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I have not received a response to the email I sent yesterday asking to reserve a parking spot as well as clarify the price.

Guess I was dreaming thinking it could be eur 110 for the room. At least we didn't find out AFTER we stayed, now we are prepared for it!

Search this Thread