what money to bring to pargue??

Oct 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

what money to bring to pargue??

hi. we are traveling to prague next week and when we call the hotel it is quoted in euros. is everything in euros? do we want to bring some euros for the cab etc, or do we want to bring some czech crowns or what?? are traveler's checks a good thing there, or cash, or cash cards. any suggestions would be great. thanks!
Sue
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Last year my hotel charged me in Euro's but every where else I had to use czech crowns.

No to travels checks, go to an ATM (use a visa or mastercard debit card or credit card) and take out cash.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much!
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

The official currency of The Czech Republic is the Czech Crown. Some hotels quote prices in Euros only because it makes it easier for visitors (mostly from Euro countries) to know what the room rate is. In this way, the visitor does not have to try to mentally or otherwise convert "x-thousand Crowns" into Euros (or Dollars, in the case of American visitors). Furthermore, you will usually see a disclaimer on their price lists, that says the "Euro price" is subject to change, depending on the exchange rate between the Euro and the Crown. The Czech Crown room price is the official price.

When you go to pay your bill, you will 99.99% of the time get your bill in Crowns. In fact, I personally have never seen a final bill presented in anything except Czech Crowns. If the hotel is willing to do so, they will accept Euros, however, they will probably not give you as favorable an exchange rate as what you can get from a bank or money-changer. Even if you are paying for your hotel bill by credit card, your receipt will be in Czech Crowns, because that is the way they process it through their bank. You, then, receive your credit card bill in your own national currency at your home or business address.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks again so much! any other MUST KNOWS???
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Yes,you only need to post a question once.To read the responses,you can click on your name and it will pull up all of your active threads.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks; i am new at this, and didn't know that; really appreciate the help
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:20 AM

You asked about recommendations for Prague in your other thread; my chief recommendation is to be prepared for giant crowds at most of the popular attractions - old town square, Charles Bridge, Mala Strana, etc.

Really only one recommendation - a restaurant called Nostress - http://www.nostress.cz/ was very good and comfortable; located in the Josefov neighborhood. Sort of a French/Thai combo, but with great desserts. Very stylish, too.

Oct 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks; checked the web; it looks great; will definitely go.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Go to the Castle/St. Vitus Cathedral on a weekday. It is very crowded on the weekend, especially Sunday.

Visit the Loreto Convent, which is always overlooked.

Use the Metro, it is very easy and convenient.

You really don't need to take cabs in Prague. In fact, it is hard to find cabs.

The best art museum in Prague is the Sternberg Collection, near the Castle complex. Some very great paintings here.

Fancy French restaurant with outstanding views of Prague: La Perle in the Fred/Ginger building. Sit by a window.

If you like high-end shopping, head to Pariska Street for Louis Vuitton, Georgio Armani, and Dunhill. Pravda is a good place to eat on this street.