what money to bring to pargue??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are travleing to prague next week and are wondering what cash to bring. the hotel quoted us in euros, the ride fromthe airport is in euros. do we want to bring some euros and czech crowns or what? also, is american cash a good thing over there (do people like american buck tips) or are we better with the local currency. any help would be wonderful.
Thanks so much
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We didn't see much evidence of people accepting non-Czech money last week; I'd go with Crowns. ATMs are plentiful.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much; any other thoughts, must do's, etc; favorite restaurant; really appreciate your quick response
sue
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You have two threads open with the same question; I'm going to respond to the other one and would recommend other viewers do the same.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Gardyloo is correct. You have two threads with the same questions. So, I will take his advice and post my answer from your other thread here, also. It is:

The official currency of The Czech Republic is the Czech Crown. Some hotels quote prices in Euros only because it makes it easier for visitors (mostly from Euro countries) to know what the room rate is. In this way, the visitor does not have to try to mentally or otherwise convert "x-thousand Crowns" into Euros (or Dollars, in the case of American visitors). Furthermore, you will usually see a disclaimer on their price lists, that says the "Euro price" is subject to change, depending on the exchange rate between the Euro and the Crown. The Czech Crown room price is the official price.

When you go to pay your bill, you will 99.99% of the time get your bill in Crowns. In fact, I personally have never seen a final bill presented in anything except Czech Crowns. If the hotel is willing to do so, they will accept Euros, however, they will probably not give you as favorable an exchange rate as what you can get from a bank or money-changer. Even if you are paying for your hotel bill by credit card, your receipt will be in Czech Crowns, because that is the way they process it through their bank. You, then, receive your credit card bill in your own national currency at your home or business address.