Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to get to Bristol from Germany? - a puzzle for the experts.

Jun 27th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

ok, here's the potential problem:

we are hoping to take part in a cultural exchange to Naumburg [in what was East Germany, about 2 hours south of Berlin] in september/october. the outward trip is relatively easy - we drive from our home in Cornwall to Wales, drop our DS off at uni, and the next day drive back to Bristol, and catch the easyjet flight to Berlin.

from there we are planning to hire a car, stay the night in Potsdam, and drive onto Naumburg the next day in time to meet up with our party.

at the end of the trip, instead of coming straight back, we are hoping to extend our stay by driving to the other side of Germany to visit our friends who live near Landau [Pfalz]. this is where the fun starts. the closest airport to them that i can find with direct flights back to Bristol is Geneva. if we drive there, we will have to pay prohibitive drop-off fees for the car, so my first question is:

where would be the best place to drop off our hire car in Germany to catch the train to Geneva? I'd prefer not to have to drive into a city to take it back - but the car hire pace needs to be convenient for the train station. we need to arrive by about 4 pm at the very latest to catch the 17.10 easyjet flight to Bristol.

next question: can anyone think of a less tortuous way of getting back to bristol? obviously we need to get back there in order to pick up our car.

last question: would it just be easier to drop off our car at say, Karlsruhe, and pick up the train there? The route shown by www.bahn.de goes from Landau via Karlsruhe and Basel, so they are the obvious pick up points; the 2nd class fare being shown is €138 which seems to me to be very high; much more than the petrol and probably more than the drop-off fee!

thanks very much to anyone who can help me sort out this conundrum.
Jun 27th, 2011, 02:11 AM

Because of the much wider choice of flights from Frankfurt, where you can drop off the hire car, I would look at flying from there, probably to London, then get the train the UK end to Bristol for your car. The flights in & out of Bristol are far too limited to give many options on timings or airport choices.
Jun 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM

How about Frankfurt? It's much closer to Landau than is Geneva.

Brussels Airlines has flights from FRA to Bristol. You'd need to connect in Brussels, but the extra time for changing flights is probably no more than the extra time need to get to Geneva.

You might also look at flights from Basel, Switzerland. Although Basel is in Switzerland, the airport has entrances in both Germany and France (or at least it used to -- I haven't used the airport in a few years).

DOn
Jun 27th, 2011, 02:45 AM

Your problem is Bristol.

Check on the Bristol airport website, and you'll probably find flights to almost nowhere. Getting to Bristol airport by surface from elsewhere in Britain – especially from Heathrow – is a real pain.

Personally in your shoes, I'd drive from Cardiff to Birmingham (where at least there are other low-cost airlines), or even Heathrow (you CAN get some low-cost flights, and for a few days there are a couple of cut rate, off airport, "valet" parking companies that you at least don't need a mortgage to pay for).

I can't imagine it's a longer or messier drive from Birmingham or Heathrow to the M5 then from Landau to anywhere in Switzerland.
Jun 27th, 2011, 02:58 AM

There used to be direct flights from Frankfurt to Bristol on British Airways, but they stopped several years ago when BA closed down its regional network in the U.K. Germany is now something of a black hole where flights from Bristol are concerned.

The KLM site offers flights from Frankfurt to Bristol with a change in either Paris (Air France) or Amsterdam. Total journey time is about 4 hours. The cost for a one-way flight is over €600, however, and it would be cheaper to buy a return ticket (€270) and only use it one-way.
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Your problem is Bristol>>

yes, Flanner, you're not wrong there. but it is the closest international airport [not counting Newquay] to cornwall so it tends to be the one we look at first.

but I like your idea of flying from b'ham to Frankfurt. Ok, it's not as close to Naumburg as Berlin, but it's not too bad [3 hours according to michelin] and it's only an hour or so from Landau.

this end, it's 3 hours from lampeter, and 4-5 from cornwall. but at least we know the way!

definitely worth looking into - thanks!

yiassass, don topez - looks as if everyone is suggesting b'ham, so thanks for the ideas.
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Is there a chicken, a fox and a sack of corn involved?
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

lol, RM, good question.

so far as i know, no-one has suggested that we take any of our chickens with us. I suspect that the Germans have their own.

thanks for the laugh!
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM

If you play around with other airports/ airlines, you should consider that Leipzig airport is much closer to Naumburg than Berlin.
There are no flights from Leipzig to anywhere in the UK, but if you look at signature airlines which require a change en-route, it's often not or not much more expensive to fly there than to the non-stop destination.
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks, cowboy.

we hadn't thought of that, either!