Search

How to get there

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 04:54 PM
xms
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get there

We're planning to go to Prague and Salzburg in mid-October. I think we've found the end of the internet when it comes to trying to decide how to put this together. If all things being fairly equal, should we (1) buy a package air/hotel from a major travel website? (2) Do it ourselves buying flights and hotel separately (website or agent)? (3) buy a group tour (without the motorcoach junk) that allows add-ons? Anyone, please feel free to post how you did it and your results. And yes, I know it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with, but opinions help.
Mark
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:23 PM
Intrepid

I suppose you'll get a lot of different opinions on this one so here is mine.
I've done both of these cities (and more on the same trip) several times and I booked the hotels directly via e-mail or through an on-line service (the hotel's or other services) and also traveled between the two cities by train. The only problem with the train is that depending on which direction you travel and the time of day it can take between 6-7 hours and there will be a couple of changes...and that may not be your bag.
But you can certainly do these two cities on your own if you wish without resorting to group travel. I prefer that mode but you may not. Hope this helps a little anyway.

Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:28 PM

I have always had good results booking the flight separately from hotels. I book online after watching the fares for awhile and then buy when the price is right for me. I do not book all hotel stays ahead of time, I like to leave some room for spontanity however I always book my first night, last night and any major city ahead of time. Depending on how busy of a time I am traveling, I book ahead of time if there is an event in the town that would make getting a room a day or 2 in advance more difficult; or if there is a hotel or area that I really want to stay in. I would venture a guess that 2/3 of the rooms are booked ahead of time, the others give me a chance to live on the edge a bit! I do lots and lots of research on this board, website, books and other travel sites to help me get an idea of what to expect and look out for. I'm sure that everyone has a different opinion, but this has worked for me.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:25 PM

I've been to both those cities, also, and I would guess the best option is just to book everything yourself. YOu only need airfare and a couple hotels, and maybe a train ticket in-between the two.

Mainly, I just kind of doubt you'll find a package or two that includes those two cities and nothing else, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure what you mean about booking a group tour without the motorcoach junk. If you can find a group tour with only those two cities, it probably will have a coach trip between the two, but that sounds convenient to me.

If you've found packages, it shouldn't be too difficult to compare the price to doing it yourself. I booked those cities on my own, but I didn't combine them in one trip. Salzburg isn't a big city so you are going to have to fly into some other city, anyway (or fly out of one, if that's the end stop).
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM

There is a company called Untours that I think has packages to Prague. They include air/apartment/local transport pass and look quite reasonable. Their website is www.untours.com. I've never used them personally but their packages look pretty interesting.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:35 AM
xms
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your information. By "motorcoach junk" I mean traveling for x days with 40 people and twenty stops - been there, done that, not our style.
Happy traveling! Thanks again.
Mark
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:22 PM

i would be inclined to fly into munich, a short drive from salzburg, rent a car and then drive to salzburg, bertchesgarden and on to prague, drop the car and fly home from there...or fly again into munich, go south and back to munich drop the car fly to pargue or train to prague....you do not need a tour or help....of course it all depends on budget....in all but salzburg there are american style hotels you could choose from if you are nervous or try looking at best western hotels...a good deal in europe -- all individually owned and mostly charming...