How to get from London to Manchester?

Jan 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

How to get from London to Manchester?

What is the most affordable way to travel from London to Manchester? I've looked at the rail passes and the prices are around $100. Is there anything cheaper, or is that what I should expect to pay?

We will be traveling in late February.

Thank you.
Jan 12th, 2004, 10:09 AM

www.virgintrains.co.uk

If you purchase at least 14 days in advance it is 11 pounds one way.

I did this in February last year and I believe I paid 10 pounds one way. Book on line and you pick up your tickets in London at the train station (I believe it is Euston) Just keep in mind that you will have to insert the credit card that you booked with into the ticket machine.
Jan 12th, 2004, 12:33 PM

without any doubt the cheapest way to get from anywhere to anywhere by public transport in this country is bus.

But the price you're being quoted for the train is ludicrous. Try again.

thetrainline.com
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:33 AM

Try also the virgin.com website. Click on trains and then value fares.
And there is qjump.com. You can travel to Manchester from London St Pancras (the Virgin trains go from Euston) on Midland Mainline trains.
2nd class is fine. Expect Virgin to take 2hr 40 mins or so and Midland Mainline about 3 hours (with nicer scenery towards the end of the trip.)
If you are coming back to London, get a return.
Book now for the best prices.
Jan 14th, 2004, 12:40 AM

There are some flights for 11 pounds plus taxes on the www.flybmi.com site.
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:27 AM
JonJon

If you were coming from the US and weren't wedded to using FF miles you could fly directly TO Manchester but I guess that isn't a viable option?

Jan 14th, 2004, 02:32 AM

try national express bus service. They are having a "sale". The trip takes 4 hours. Take some food with you if you do travel this way. I paid 20 pounds return in 2001 but you can get it cheaper.
Jan 14th, 2004, 04:23 AM

The only reliable way is to get a flight from Heathrow (with BA or BMI) or Gatwick with BA. Trains here in the UK are really really unreliable, and the coach, National Express, will get stuck in traffic. The flight takes 35 mins and is available from about $100 if you book now
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:36 PM

The 11 pounds plus taxes on the www.flybmi.com site deal is 11 pounds plus 13 pounds taxes and fees, plus 3 pounds for using your credit card.

If you don't use your credit card (which means I guess you would have to purchase in person) there is a 5 pound fee for not using the web site to purchase the tickets.

So the 11 pound tickets cost either 27 or 29 pounds.

Keith