Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Airport to train Station and to Florence

Jan 14th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

I need some advice on train tickets to Florence. I will be flying into Marco Polo airport at about 2:00pm and will be going directly to Florence by train. Should I take the train from Maestre or from S.Lucia? How long does it take to get to each. What is the best way to get to the train station from the airport and Do you think it might be a problem if I don't have a train reservation? Also, is the kilometer train ticket still available?
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM
rex

I think it will save you somw money and a little time to go (by taxi, on four wheels) to Mestre, rather than to VSL.

After all, the train(s) will generally have to go through Mestre to get anywhere (though maybe not everyone stops there) - - thus the departure from Mestre will be a few minutes later than from VSL.

Probably not a problem to go without a reservation - - except perhaps on some special holday weekend (i.e., Sunday afternoons, when people are LEAVing Venice).

The "kilometrico" is no longer sold.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Gbachlondon,

Just take the frequent "ATVO Flybus" service, or the nr. 15 local bus from the airport to MESTRE station. The Flybus should take less than 20 min, the local bus will be a bit slower.

Here's info on Flybus:
http://www.atvo.it/eng/airport.php?l...x_fly.php&id=1

I don't think the kilometric ticket still is available. You should be fine without prior train reservations unless you are travelling on a major holiday. Trains schedules & prices can be found at:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps,
Andre
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:04 PM
ira

Hi GB,

It would be, as Rex says, more convenient to leave from Mestre.

You can purchase tickets on line from Trenitalia see

Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34465647
Jan 14th, 2004, 02:06 PM
GAC

1. Take the ATVO airporter bus direct to the MESTRE train station in 17 minutes. Fare 2.50 Euros one way. No reservations. DON'T take the (other) ATVO bus direct to Venice Piazzale Roma. Don't get these two buses confused. Schedules at www.atvo.it

2. Trains to Florence all depart from the Mestre Station. You don't need reservations except (for Intercity (IC) trains) on national holidays and other extremely busy days.

3. If you go by Eurostar train, ALL seats are sold on a reserved basis, so you won't have to worry. Eurostars to Florence depart every two hours. Schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com

4. The Italian Kilometric ticket is no longer sold or accepted.