4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details

Old Aug 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details

Over the past couple of months, I've finally come up with the perfect itinerary for our England/Scotland trip next June 2017 (all with the help from many of you here on Fodors - thank you!). My husband and I are very excited now that we have a set plan.

We've now been thinking about each portion of our trip in more detail. Since we'll be flying into London, we started there. Here is what we have so far - advice, critique, suggestions, opinions, and recommendations all welcome!

Day 1 (Tuesday): Flight
Day 2 (Wednesday): Arrive LHR at 1pm. Arrive at The Milestone Hotel by 4pm. Check-in and enjoy afternoon tea at the hotel. If weather permits, ride the London Eye around 6pm. Overnight in London at Milestone Hotel.
Day 3 (Thursday): Full day walking tour beginning around 9am (self guided or join a group?). See sights including St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace. Lunch stop for fish and chips. Attend Westminster Abbey 5pm Evensong. Overnight in London at Milestone Hotel.
Day 4 (Friday): Catch an 8am train to Morten-in-Marsh for a full day tour of the Cotswolds (Secret Cottage Tour 10am - 4:30pm). Catch a 5pm train back to London. Arrive in London by 7pm. Overnight in London at Milestone Hotel.
Day 5 (Saturday): Borough Market from 9am - 1pm. Have lunch at the market. Then head to Tower of London and join a Yeoman Warder Tour. Attend a 7pm West End Show. Overnight in London at Milestone Hotel.
Day 6 (Sunday): Early afternoon train from London to Bath.

Questions
How does the overall itinerary look for London?
Do we have room to fit in any other sights?
On day 3, do you recommend joining a walking tour or doing a self guided walk? Any ideas for a route or other sights to see?
Dinner recommendations based on the areas we will be in?
What is our best option for transportation each day?
Are there any "must-sees" or "must-dos" that you think we are missing?
On day 5, if we decided to skip the theater, is there something else that would be fun to do that night?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 02:13 PM

It's a bit busy for my travel style but we'll see what others day. You could look into a London Walks walking tour, reasonably priced and entertaining.

I'd add the Globe theatre - a tour, not necessarily a play. It is very unique and near the Borough Market I think.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 02:20 PM

I hate borough market on the weekends...it is jammed wall to wall with tourists. It might be ok at 9am, but by lunchtime it is unbearable. I would go on a weekday.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

jamikins - I am really looking forward to the borough market and have been told by a few that the best day to visit is on Saturday. I planned a lot of my itinerary around this. Would you suggest switching my day 4 and day 5 plans?
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 02:33 PM

What is our best option for transportation each day?>

For London the Oyster Card is usually the best if taking several tube or bus rides but you may want to get a paper Travel Card at a National Rail station to use for 2 for 1 entries to many paying sights in London- Google 2 for 1 London and see about that.

For trains- Moreton-in-Marsh just buy before the train - a local train no need to pre-book - look for day return fares if leaving week days after 9:30am or so - return about anytime.

For long-distance trains www.nationalrail.co.uk for lots of discounted but restricted fares- much cheaper than walk up fares- ditto for just about any long-distance train in the U.K.

If also going to Edinburgh by train ditto.

For lots on British trains check www.seat61.com- great info on discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Unless you are taking several trains no BritRailpass will be of much use to youse.

first class is also discounted and check that too - if not much more on long-distance trains go for it as IMO there is a world of difference on those trains between the classes.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>jamikins - I am really looking forward to the borough market and have been told by a few that the best day to visit is on Saturday. I planned a lot of my itinerary around this.
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 08:20 PM

I make sure we get to Borough market around 9am on Thursday or Friday - usually moderately easy to get around .
Old Aug 24th, 2016, 11:52 PM

We avoid Borough Market at all costs on Saturdays, it is literally wall to wall people and you will have trouble even seeing the foodie the stalls. Definitely go on Thursday orFriday morning.

Saturday has the most stalls so maybe that's why someone recommended it, but you won't know the difference if you go on Thursday or Friday because there are enough stalls to see and enjoy and much less people.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on the Borough Market everyone! I'll rearrange so that we are there on Thursday or Friday.

Any other advice on the rest of my itinerary or answers to my other questions?
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ - thanks for the detail on transportation. That's very helpful! Are there any taxis within the city or do must use the tube/bus?
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 06:42 AM

4 hours at Borough market seems long to me. I think I walked through it in less than 2 hours. But everyone is different.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 06:44 AM

Black cabs are everywhere and very easy to flag - just wave your hand when you see one with an illuminated light on the roof. If the light is off it means the taxi is already taken.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 08:25 AM

>

The London taxi is as iconic as the Routemaster bus.

It's a boatload more expensive. And like the bus (unlike the Tube), it's subject to the traffic snarls that are part and parcel of Central London.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 08:50 AM

An hour would be plenty at Borough Market, for me in any case. Don't know what you'd do there for 4 hours? It's not that big.
Continue along the river afterwards, going past the Globe, Tate Modern, cross the Millenium Bridge to St Pauls. Or continue along the south Bank towards the Eye - and cross the river for the Houses of Parliament.

I would include the British Museum. And see if there are any interesting exhibitions on at V&A, National Gallery, Royal Academy.

It's for June 2017. That's very early planning.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 02:17 PM

I agree that 4 hours is waaaay too long for the market. Especially since you aren't staying in a flat and buying a boatload of provisions. Plan on 2 hours but have a plan B if you are finished early.

>>so that we are there on Thursday or Friday. morning ( Fri. afternoons get slammed)
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 04:57 PM

I would go to the Tower of London in the morning. It will only get more crowded later on

you may want to consider a London Walks tour of the Westminster area. and then go to the Abbey.

I would include the British Museum and the National Library. Perhaps the War Rooms if that is of interest.

as for the Eye.. only go if the weather is good
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. Here is the revised plan for our 4 nights in London.

Day 1 (Tuesday): Flight

Day 2 (Wednesday): Arrive LHR at 1pm. Arrive at hotel by 4pm. Check-in and enjoy afternoon tea at the hotel. If weather permits, ride the London Eye around 6pm. Overnight in London.

Day 3 (Thursday): Tower of London (9am - 11am) visit the Crown Jewels and then join a Yeoman Warder Tour. Fish and Chips lunch. Sandeman's Free Tour of Royal London (2pm-4:30pm) Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Nelson’s Column, The National Gallery, St. James’s Palace, Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Victoria Memorial, St. James’s Park, Horse Guards Parade, Churchill War Rooms, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament). Attend Westminster Abbey 5pm Evensong after the walking tour. Overnight in London.

Day 4 (Friday): St. Paul's Cathedral (9am-10:30am). Borough Market (11am - 1pm). National Gallery 60-min guided tour of highlights (2:30pm-3:30pm). In the evening, enjoy a nice dinner and attend a West End Show. Overnight in London.

Day 5 (Saturday): Catch an 8am train to Morten-in-Marsh for a full day tour of the Cotswolds (Secret Cottage Tour 10am - 4:30pm). Catch a 5pm train back to London. Arrive in London by 7pm. Overnight in London.

Day 6 (Sunday): Early afternoon train from London to Bath.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 10:35 AM

More than a few hitches:

>>Tower of London (9am - 11am)
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:52 AM

jamikins, as you know, we were planning to go to Borough Market on a Thursday but I just wanted to let you know that we changed our plans and went to Spitalfields instead. There wasn't as much art as I remembered (and Thursday is supposed to be art day!) but we loved, loved, loved the food stalls and trucks!

It was great seeing you and bikerscott -- thanks so much for planning a great evening out for us!
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi janisj, thanks for you comments. There are a couple of reasons I planned it this way. Maybe if I explain my reasoning, it will help others in assisting with coming up with the best itinerary for us.

>>If it was me -- on Thursday I would do the Tower -- then Borough Market. Then on Friday do Covent Garden/the Nat'l Gallery/Trafalgar Sq, Westminster area/War Rooms and finish up w/ evensong.>For instance it seems that 2 hour tour covers all those places you list -- that would require going at pretty much a full run> There is ABSOLUTELY nothing to see at the War Rooms unless you go inside which that tour doesn't. If you do go inside count on a very minimum of 90 minutes.>Since you have so little time in London I would REALLY consider visiting the Cotswolds from Bath instead of London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -