can you help me ben haines

May 10th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

can you help me ben haines

sorry about your illness, i wish you a speedy recovery.
i am flying in to stansted and then having to travel on to lewisham hospital to visit a sick relative. which is the best way to go, bearing in mind that i do not know lewisham, or even where the hospital is
many thanks to you or anyone else who maybe able to assist me
dave
May 10th, 2004, 05:45 AM
ron

The nearest train station to the hospital is Ladywell. In the absence of expert advice from Mr Haines, a Lewisham resident, what I would do is train from Stansted to London Liverpool Street, tube to London Bridge, train to Ladywell. But perhaps Ben has a more elegant solution?
May 12th, 2004, 03:08 AM

I should have loved to find a more elegant solution, of the kind that the enlarged East London line may give us in ten years time, but meanwhile must agree with Ron. You can buy in Stansted a one day travel card to London combined with zones one and two all day. This gives you busses, trains, and tube trains in your zones, which include Lewisham. At Liverpool Street leave your train, turn right, take the escalator up to Bishopsgate, cross the road, and take bus number 48 or 149 through the city, over the river (good views), and up the 300 yard ramp to the station entry. can take a train (every few minutes) from platform 5 to Lewisham, and there take bus 185 or 208 half a mile south to the hospital. You can ask the driver to drop you. If it is not raining, the wait at London Bridge is less than ten minutes, and your bag is light, you can find a train every half hour to Ladywell, I think from platforms 7 to 15. Leave the train at Ladywell, walk back 50 yards towards central London, turn right (east), bear right (south) around the eighteenth century parish church, and the hospital lies on your right, very visible. You can still see the stream to which the well contributed. Like many such, the well was dedicated to St Mary (our Lady), and was thought to heal the ill.

I wish I knew where you can drop your bag. Neither Liverpool Street nor London Bridge stations have left luggage. If you will kindly tell me where you will go after the hospital I may have an idea for dropping your bag in central London.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

May 12th, 2004, 03:55 AM

From London Bridge to Ladywell the trains will depart London Bridge at either platform 1 or 4. The trains to Ladywell will be marked with a final destination Hayes.

In th daytime day there should be 4 trains an hour, reducing to 2 trains an hour past the evening rush hour (i.e. from about 7pm).
May 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

many thanks for the helpfull advice
dave