Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to get from Basel to Zurich airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving a river cruise in Basel and need to get to a Zurich airport hotel. What is the cheapest/easiest way to get there - I believe it's a one hour trip by road - considering we will have suitcases to lug around with us (not suitable for stairs) Do you suggest train/bus/taxi? Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM

If you have enough money, you could do a taxi, but I'm sure it would be absurdly expensive. A bus probably isn't very practical either.

The train is your best option. There are direct trains from Basel to the airport. Go to http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm for schedules. The trains are probably the double-decker type and the lower deck is accessible without climbing stairs - just need to lift the bag over the gap sometimes. The single-level trains sometimes have a couple of steps, but that is manageable enough for most luggage.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM

You may try a limo service - should be between CHF 250 and 350:

http://www.a-taxi.ch/basel-flughafen.htm
http://www.swiss-transfer.ch
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM

Hi allsonc,

You may want to look into the option of sending your luggage ahead of you separately. Almost every train station will do it; it costs about 20 chf per bag and will take about 24 hours. You can send your bags from the Basel station all the way to the airport, and hat way, you only have to move around with your carry-ons. You collect your bags from the train station in the basement of the airport, and there are luggage trolleys to help you.

If you are flying "Swiss," you can even check your bags onto the flight and get your boarding pass at the train station.

Here's a link to the service:

Fast Baggage
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...isegepaeck.htm

Check-in
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...ck/flyrail.htm

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM

Trains are very frequent and every other one goes to the ariport as opposed to the Zurich city terminal. But - space for luggage is limited and trains tend to be crowded. We squished in with a carry-on apiece. If you have a lot of luggage this mght not be practical.

I think a rental car is sure to be much cheaper than a taxi.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM

There will be plenty of room for luggage on most trains depending on the size of the cases you may have to put some between seats or under seats depending on the type of coach you end up in and the seating configuration can vary.

Much more convenient and cheaper than a taxi or the bus. First class will almost undoubtedly be less crowded than 2nd
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM

I rarely, have trouble finding space for my luggage on Swiss trains and I travel to and from Zurich airport twice a week.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Taking the train:

You will get off the ship and find a taxi nearby. The taxi will bring you to Basel train station. From the taxistand you have to schlepp your bags to the platform. This is the most difficult part of your trip. If you give the taxi driver 10 CHF, he will help you.

You have to haul up you luggage into the train within one stressful minute. Inside the train, there is no problem. Even if the train is crowded (most of the time it is not) you find some space to store your luggage for the short trip.

After arriving at the airport Zürich-Kloten, you deboard the train (again within one minute). Then you have to carry your luggage from the platform to the taxistand. You take a taxi which brings you to your hotel where the bellstaff will take care of your luggage.

Can you do this? If you are young and healthy, no problem. I once had a herniated vertebral disc, and in this situation I would not have done it but rather taken a limo. It is your decision.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:50 AM

Renting a car:

The most economical option besides taking the train. If you call up the rental car agency in Basel directly they may deliver the rental car directly at the pier (which is the very best option). Otherwise, you have to leave your baggage on the pier, take a taxi to the rental car station and drive your rental car to the pier to pick up the bags.

Then, everything else is easy. You drive to your hotel, drop your baggage, then drop the rental car at Zürich airport. From there, you take a taxi or shuttle bus to your hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everybody for your advice - I'm a first time Fodorite!! I found your info really helpful. I'll look into all the options!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Well, I've done this 4 times and each time the train was standing room only and we had to stuff out tiny carry-ons under our seats. Now, maybe we just got on the businessman's special each time (they were fairly early am) and other trains may be less crowded. And this was first class.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM

hi alisonc, my husband and I are taking the Rhine River cruise that ends at Basel in May. I would love to hear how you handle the trip from the pier to the airport. I'm going to see what kind of info I can get from my travel agent - but we handled our own airfare to save money so she wasn't nearly as helpful after that. Good luck, I hope to hear from you again. traveller1959, your info seems very helpful, along with the links above. Thank you all.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM

SRO in first class on Swiss trains between Zurich and Basel is extremely rare unless one is traveling during the peak periods of a major convention (like BaselWorld or Art Basel). And even then, ít's highly unusual.

The IR trains to Zurich airport start in Basel SBB, so if you arrive early you will have more than one minute to get your stuff on the train. They leave Basel hourly at 40 minutes after the hour, from track 9 as I recall.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:02 AM

Well, I finally decided to extend the trip an extra day to give us time from departing the boat to get to Zurich via train. So, no rushing from boat to airport, we can relax and enjoy the city.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 11:27 AM

You can try this company transfer-service-ch.com. which have a special pick up service from zurich airport to basel. Are really affordable and the drivers are very friendly.

We booked this Taxi transfer company from Basel to airport Zurich and also for the transfer from airport Zurich to Basel.

Best regards
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 12:46 AM

I recommended to use http://taxi-zurich.com
Very good service and cheap prices.