How to dress in Barcelona-college student

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do college students usually dress in the summer in Barcelona? I am 19 and studying abroad for four weeks in Spain. A lot of sources say don't wear shorts, does this include nice, fabric shorts (like more boho style) or is it just daisy dukes short shorts? I was under the impression that as long as you look nice, it flies. I also read that the dress code was less strict for younger people and that they had varying styles. Please give advice on how to pack for my trip, thank you

Liz
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will see shorts being worn in hot and VERY humid Barcelona especially in the hotter months. College students do not observe any sort of impartially-decreed "dress code" in that city in my experience.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:22 PM

In my experience, the dress code of students all over the world is jeans.

How you dress is the very least of your worries. Relax and enjoy your time there.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:20 PM

Hi Liz, disregard any 'sources' that tell you not to wear shorts. It is hot in Barcelona in summer - wear whatever you like.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:37 PM

Wear what you normally wear when it is hot and humid. You are in a city chock-full of tourists and students. Nobody is going to care what you wear.
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:00 AM

<<A lot of sources say don't wear shorts>>

A lot of sources are off their heads. It's bloody hot in Barcelona during the summer.

Dress for your comfort - you're going to a city with the population of Philadelphia. Once you get to Barcelona you'll realize the notion of the "well-dressed sophisticated European" as compared to the slack-jawed American slob is a whole lot of toro dung.
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:43 AM

True enough, wear what you want. NO ONE cares. I personally wouldn't wear short shorts. Sitting on all sorts of hot, dirty surfaces in those shorts is not for me. Also, jeans are hot and sticky. Better to wear somewhat loose linen pants and light skirts.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:51 AM

There's no code and you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in. However, there's no doubt that Barcelona is quite cutting edge in terms of fashion and design with quite a lot of hip brands like Custo, Ailanto, plus wider general Spanish brands to be found - Desigual, Hoss etc etc. The idea that the whole of Europe is one homogenous fashion pool with the same brands dominating every single city and/or no difference to the US isn't entirely accurate - you do see some local variation. You are absolutely correct though that being a younger/a student cuts you a lot of slack and no one will be policing you.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you remember that Barcelona will have plenty of NON-European visitors as well as folks from all OVER the globe. Whether or not Barcelona is "cutting edge" might be a matter of opinion. It certainly doesn't limit admission to those one would consider being attired in "cutting edge" clothing. Soaked with sweat is NOT "cutting edge" and, in fact, it is kinda foolish IMO but to each their own.
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:22 PM

The OP specifically asked how college students dress in Barcelona. No one is telling her she must dress like that, or claiming that Spanish fashion is superior to any other country - simply answering the question. READ before you RANT Dukey.
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

haha thanks so much to everyone who responded, this was really helpful!!