Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to book American Express Tours in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to book an American Express half day tour in Venice or Florence for that matter? I can find the website and see the tours offered, but cannot actually reserve them even though it advises to book ahead?!?!?!?

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM

When they say "book ahead" I think they mean book when you arrive in the city - rather than just turn up when the tour is scheduled to start.
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would tend to agree with Nytraveler. I think Amex just needs to know how many groups and guides they'll need for the day.

Do consider, though, if you're traveling in the busiest season, that you might need to be flexible in the day or time of your tour(s). If flexibility isn't possible, you can call the Amex offices in both cities yourself or ask your hotels to book the tours for you. If you opt for help from your hotels, provide the phone numbers so that there's no confusion over which tour you're interested in. (And also to be courteous.)
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM

This is the American Express Travel office for bookings:

[email protected]
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM

in my past experience, if you write to them at that address, or call them, they will say that you can book when you arrive in Venice; they didn't accept advance reservations.
Old May 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM

elaine-- Are you the same that gave us the Greek custard recipe? I just thanked you in that thread!

The Venice office originally said they can book my Venice to Rome train on 12 Aug. but I am now going to do it by myself. Just don't know if I should bank on buying a Milan to Venice ticket when I land.

My family and I will land in Milan the 9th Aug. and need to get luggage, clear customs, get to Milan Centrale and take train to Venice.

Should I bank on getting a ticket for a train w/in an hour or two the most? I do not want to have to wait at station for a late afternooin train, holding toothpicks in our eyes from jet lag. We planned to get a train within a hour or two of us buying a ticket and sleep on ride, since we cannot buy it throught Trentitalia or any Am. X Travel office. Will all trains be filled as it may be a popular route?
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I see August 9 is a Saturday.
One time it took my bus 90 minutes to get from Malpensa to Milan Centrale station, we got stuck in weekday morning rush hour. I'm not saying that's typical, and a Saturday would I hope be better than that, but I'd allow at least an hour. Getting your luggage and going through Italian customs might be 30-60 minutes, and your flight might not be exactly on time. I'd allow two hours from flight arrival time to train departure, and because I'm a worrier, I'd probably allow more time than that.
Train tickets CAN be booked in advance, at least I've done it in the past.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Ciaodeb, you can only book via the Trenitalia site 60 days in advance so if you are arriving in Italy August 9th it is to soon to reserve train tickets.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM

LoveItaly, thank you and I am aware of the 60 day before. Husband and son leave Aug. 8 but I am before, July 29. Just last night my cousin in Milano said she'd pick me up at Malpanesa airport, bring me to train to buy ticket for next morning as I am sleeping overnight now, instead of going directly to Venice.