venice guides

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:31 AM
karen

venice guides

has anyone taken a walking tour from venice walks and tours? Does anyone know of any good walking tours or guides in Venice?
Thanks

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:40 AM
elaine

Some people have spoken highly of the American Express walking tours, some of which end in a gondola ride.
These cannot be booked before you arrive as far as I know, but the Am Ex office is quite close to Piazza San Marco.

On the other hand, any good guidebook
(Fodors is one) for Venice can suggest walking itineraries and Venice is very small. All you need is a good map. You will get lost in the maze of streets, but that's part of Venice's charm.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Capo

Hi Karen. If you're interested in any self-guided walking tours, I'd highly recommend the book Venicewalks, which has five very descriptive walking tours.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:52 AM
sam

Capo - you took the words right out of my mouth. A good friend bought me the Venicewalk tapes and they were great. I listened to them a few times before I left and then while doing the actual walk. Could be more difficult with more than one person, though.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Capo

Interestingly, Venicewalks only seems to be available in an audioguide version. It used to be in book form but I think that it -- as well as perhaps all the other books in the Walks series -- are out of print.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
KAREN

I know that we can walk the streets of Venice and that will be fun but I was specially interested in the ghetto section and having a guide that could make the past come alive. I used to do everything only by myself but have learned that guides can give you bits and pieces to make an area come alive. I keep seeing references for a guide for Rome but nothing for Venice. We are in Rome for 3 days and will have a guide for one of those days. But the prices in Venice that I have seen are very expensive so if we could find a small group to go with I would like that. I also wondered about going to the Dolomites as we will be there four days but I do not know if I want to rent a car for just one day.

Thanks for your help

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:27 PM
elaine

Karen
in the Ghetto is the Jewish Museum of Venice (it is in the main Ghetto campo) and they run tours in English every hour or so. None offered on Saturdays.

For more information: www.jewishvenice.org
www.doge.it/ghetto/indexi.htm
www.ghetto.it
www.writing.org/v click on the Jewish ghetto article
http://goeurope.about.com/travel/goe...ice_jewish.htm
For some photos of the Ghetto: www.veniceword.com

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:31 PM
elaine

I meant to say, the Museum sells tickets for guides who will show you around the Ghetto.