How Safe?Night train Budapest-Krakow?

Feb 10th, 2005, 10:14 AM
CCF
Original Poster

How Safe?Night train Budapest-Krakow?

We are spending a few days in Budapest and planned to take an overnight train to Krakow. I checked out schedules and rates. Then I heard that it isn't safe. Any comments ? Also, is there a dining car? Couldn't tell from the train website.
Thanks,
Cathie
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM

The 'Cracovia' overnight train carries no dining car according to my Thomas Cook timetable - but the sleeping car attendant inevitably sells drinks and snacks. As for safety the compartments are safe if you lock the door from the inside and keep them locked, but for general concerns of safety onboard i have no idea but i personally would ride it without extraordinary concern.
Feb 12th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Be very careful in Krakow. When I boarded the train in May 1998 I had $800 in the wallet and it was pick pocketed. When I boarded the train there was a crowd of people and one man appeared to act like he was lost and turned around in the narrow train corridor and them peope from behind were pushing. Little did I realize there were about 10-15 people invlved win this operation. When you board the train in Krakow clearly identify your train car number and walk deliberately 2 cars down and act like you are going to board the car two cars down and then suddently you should walk very quickly back to your real car nuber. This will fool the pick pockets and throw them for a loop.
Feb 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM

After the alarmist post for Budapest and single men I clicked on your name to find your other post eesti006.

If you don't mind my asking, what the hell were you doing with $800 in your wallet?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you should never, ever have more cash in your wallet than you can afford to lose whether you're on vacation or at home.
Feb 13th, 2005, 03:05 AM

I think an even better question would be, "Why were you carrying a wallet and not using a moneybelt?"
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:08 AM

The Thomas Cook European Timetable shows both that the Crocovia has no restaurant car and that except on Saturdays you can take an InterCity restaurant car train from Budapest Keleti at 1900, ten minutes before the Cracovia, dine, leave the train at Fuzesabony at 2019, and from the same platform board the Cracovia at 2052. The Cracovia does not stay long in Fuzesabony, so you should ask a railway officer to show you where to stand to board the sleeping car.

The train is safe so long as your fellow passengers and you lock your compartment from the inside: it is not safe for seats passengers. You have better control of the lock if you are in a 3 berth sleeper at a 45 euro supplement than in a 6 berth couchette at a 15 euro supplement.
Krakow main station is notorious for pickpockets in gangs of three, so ten minutes before I reach Krakow I put a little money and one credit card (for drawing Polish cash) into a front pocket or even in top of a sock. Passport, most cash, tickets, spare credit cards, and all other valuables I wrap in a dirty shirt and place deep down in my biggest piece of luggage, to come out again only in the reception area of where I am going to stay. When I feel a hand where no hand should be I grasp it firmly at the wrist and shout Thief, thief, loudly. This amuses passing Poles and discomforts the thief.

Since Intrepid allows himself firm views I shall do the same. Money belts invite theft. I walk about cities of central Europe with money and one credit card. All other valuables are in the hotel or hostel safe until the day I leave.
I wonder, is eesti an Estonian ? If so, he or she is very welcome, first of that mass of central European citizens of the EU who will be coming to see the world.

[email protected]

Feb 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
CCF
Original Poster

Thanks for all for the information, although I wasn't quite prepared for the alarms.
Years ago we were alerted to the asasinatos on a night train in Italy-,great stories,but not much progress,eh?
Should we buy the tix in the US or wait?
I think we can picnic and skip the changing of the trains--we are still looking forward to seeing the sights and meeting the people!
Thanks again,
Cathie
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM

We are going to Prague from Budapest, also overnite train. Any safer than going to Krakow?
Feb 13th, 2005, 05:29 PM

I don;t think that anyone is suggesting passengers are in danger of being murdered. Merely - that if you choose to sit up all night dozing in a seat - or to sleep in a public compartment with 2 or 5 strangers - you may have your belongings stolen. Is this a surprise?

I'm sure the same thing would happen in the US - if any number of people rode the trains under similar circumstances.
Feb 15th, 2005, 07:25 AM
CCF
Original Poster

Should we buy the tix in the US or wait til we get to Budapest?Any website that i sbettter thatn others?
Also is there a distiction between the sleeping compartments. We'd like a first class berth for just the two of us.
Thanks for the help
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Don't know the price of a first class berth on the train but I am flying in March on Malev air from Krakow to Budapest for $150.00 all tax included. Flight time is 55 minutes.
Feb 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM
CCF
Original Poster

I checked out air travel-had a problem w/ the Malev site, and the tix were very expensive. With the train we at least get a "hotel' room for the night.
But about buying the tix on line vs. at the station? I read they don't take credit cards at the station.
No Euros in Hungary and Poland, correct?
Thanks,
Cathie
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:52 PM

KATHIE
Re. Malev, I called their 800 number in New York to get this price. You are correct. The Euro is not the official currency in Hungary and Poland yet though they both are in the Union.
I buy my train tickets at travel agencies over there as most speak very good english and all accept credit cards as far as i know.
Have a safe and fun trip

Search this Thread