Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time needed to see Austrian sights?

Sep 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

We are now thinking of perhaps spending 2 wks. in Austria & another wk. perhaps going elsewhere.

Would that be enough time do you think? What are your favourite Austrian places to visit, & sights to see?

Perhaps staying in a B & B outside of Vienna, using it as our 'base' & taking a train to various places would be better than a car?

We would rather spend money on things other than sleeping, so the B & B is the way we like to go.

Thankyou for your suggestions!
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM
J62

When are you going?

June is a great month as the weather will be warm enough to enjoy the outdoors but not too hot to make you wilt. You can spend entire days in the Alps and not get burned out.

The weather can get hot late June but really in July/Aug, making it more difficult to do a lot of walking.

Two weeks sounds like a great length to really explore and enjoy Austria.
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM

What kind of things do you want to see? I've already spent a week in Vienna, and am going back. I've spent a week in Innsbruck, and am going back. I loved Zell-am-See - I spent four days there, plus a couple of nights in Hallstat. Are you into music? If so, you probably need to add Salzburg, which I'm skipping. Do you want to hike? I loved Achensee, which is not on many US itineraries. Next trip I'm also going to Graz and Kufstein. And Austria has very good trains.
Sep 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I'm sorry! lol...we are going next month, from the 6th till the 26 or 27th.

First time there for hubby & I so we don't know what to see really. We do enjoy things such as architecture, antiques, some museums, photography, nature. Enjoy being a tourist, but like to relax with the people as well.

We enjoy walking alot & were debating renting a car, or just bussing it & taking a train instead.

A friend just got back from 6 weeks in Graz & luved it, so would like to visit there.

Thanks for your suggestions & ideas!
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM

You have plent of time to do a few days in Vienna then add Salzburg, Munich, the Bavarian Alps, even take a train down to Venice. Get a map and decide which things interest you and then work up a timetable. You have plent of time to visit Prague, Budapest or any number of other places.
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM

If you mean staying in a BB near Vienna and doing day trips to other parts of austria that really doesn't make much sense. The train trips to other major cities (Salzburg is 3 hours each way and Innsbruck is 5 each way) are simply too long for day trips.

You can do day trips from Vienna (the Vienna Woods, Melk, etc) but beyond that you really need to move from city to city.

And if you're going to be staying in B&Bs in the suburbs and wanting to see small town/villages, frankly car makes more sense than train.