Reload this Page >

Salzburg & Surrounding Areas Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Margaret

I'll be going to Salzburg for five days in May '03. This is a business trip that I'd like to extend an additional 7 days to do some sightseeing & exploring. I've never been to Europe & don't know where to begin. All suggestions for an itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Ron

Margaret, I'm assuming that in 5 days you'll have enough of Salzburg. Two good choices would be Bavaria/Romantic Road or Vienna/Prague/Budapest. The great things to do and see in any of those places are almost endless. Good luck.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Rex

You could extend the entire seven days in Austria. If you think about in three pieces, you can decide how to tackle it better, perhaps. a) Salzburg TO Vienna and place along the way, b) Vienna and its environs, c) reasonable excursions away from Vienna for a day or two which might or might not mean crossing over the border into Hungary (Gyor, for example or Budapest) which might be the closest [excluding Bratislava/Slovakia - - which fewer people seem to rave about]. Or southeastern Czech Republic, or southern Poland/the Tatras.<BR><BR>As suggested above, there is no shortage of ideas in Bavaria either.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 05:53 AM
up

for Margaret<BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron &amp; Rex both have good suggestions. I would favor Ron's. Maybe even staying in Vienna &amp; Prague the entire extra time.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Spend at least a day in the Salzkammergut -- St. Wolfgang or a similar town on one of the lakes. It's also a great change of pace from city traveling.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Hi Margaret<BR>I prefer Innsbruck to Salzburg, don't want to put you off but Salzburg was the most over hyped town I visited in Europe and the prices were over the top as well. Good for the five days but take off after that. You can train to Innsbruck for a couple of days and even train from there down into Italy and have a few days say in Verona. It is a lovely train ride and you would be experiencing another country. The fare from Salzburg to Innsbruck is around 25 euros and to Verona from Innsbruck about the same. The ski villages around Innsbruck are so picturesque.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM

I highly recommend at least a day or two in the Salzgammergut, specifically Halstatt. You could also go west to Tyrolia (Innsbruck) then up to Neuschwanstein Castle. Also, east to Melk and Danau River Valley area, aswarm with history.<BR>You might also consider Lucerne Switzerland. Why not?