Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Much Time is Needed for a Heathrow Airline Change-- Help!

May 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,

This September I will arrive at Heathrow Airport in London with American Airlines (coming from Chicago), and I need to transfer to Aer Lingus to travel on to Dublin. I will not have checked bags, but I will need to make it through immigration and customs and then check myself in with Aer Lingus. How much time should I allow? Both times I've been through Heathrow it's been busy, but I was not in a particular hurry so my memories are fuzzy. (The first time I was crying my way through Heathrow as an undergrad student reluctant to leave after an eight month long love affair with the continent, ha!)

This is a certainly an annoying way to travel, but my husband will join me in London later in my stay, and we will fly home to the states from London. With one-way prices as high as they are, it was much cheaper to do it this way.

I arrive at 11:25 and I'm thinking of booking a 2:30 flight to Dublin? Enough time? Thanks in advance for any input or advice!
May 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM

With one-way prices as high as they are, it was much cheaper to do it this way.

Try a multi-city ticket instead booking home to Dublin and London to home, then buy a separate ticket for Dublin to London or include it as a separate leg on your main ticket if it works out cheaper
May 29th, 2012, 05:49 AM

THree hours should be enough to transfer from T3 to T1, usually fastest to walk through the Underground tunnels connecting them rather than waiting for buses. You can check in on line for Aer Lingus so that all you have to do on arrival at T1 is go through security which should not be too bad in the early afternoon.

Your arrival at T3 is also later than the mad hours earlier in the day when waits have been as long as 2 hours recently but 1125 is almost off peak so shouldn't be a problem
May 29th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Waits were about 2 hours for immigration last Sunday...
May 29th, 2012, 06:55 AM

We decided that we need at least 3 hours for change of planes in LHR.
Our plane last week was over 1 1/2 hours late, many missed their connections.
May 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM

We were lucky a few weeks ago when he had a twenty minute wait at immigration at LHR BUT our plane arrived at 7:30 AM. As others have noted it can be a disaster. The newspapers have noted that they are bringing help from other airports.
May 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM

If you are not entering the UK but going on to Dublin I believe you will stay airside and not have to go through Immigration - since yuo are ot actually entering the UK. Double check with your airline - but in that case 2.5 or 3 hours should be enough even for Heathrow - unless your plane is very late.

And agree to look into multi-city options - so you go direct from US to Dublin - why stop in London at all on the way in?
May 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input- very helpful. I will check with the airlines and see what I can do. Unfortunately the flight to London was booked a fews months ago, and I am now taking a detour to visit a friend. If I can stay airside, then I think I will be OK. Thank you so much again!!
May 30th, 2012, 09:53 PM

" If I can stay airside, then I think I will be OK. Thank you so much again!!"

You can't.

nyneverleftherhousingprojectinthebronx is talking through her rear end.

You have to go through immigration at Heathrow. The UK and the Republic of Ireland form a Common Travel Area, and passengers arriving from outside the CTA must go through immigration at their CTA arrival airport, unless they're proceeding to a destination outside the CTA.

You can decide whether to do that at T3, then walk through the underpasses to T1, or to take the inter-terminal bus from T3 before T3 immigration, then go through immigration at T1. Alanbowen (who does know what he's talking about) has explained why inter-terminal travel by bus is a rotten idea in this case. His is the ONLY reply to your question which is relevant and accurate.
May 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM

The problem with walking via the tunnels is that you have to use the main immigration queues. I would have thought that the airside queues would be shorter