Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time in Paris for 1st timers - parents with 12 year old?

Old Dec 28th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very early planning stages of a probably June trip to Paris. For many reasons, it will likely be our only time there. How much time would you recommend staying for 2 adults (50ish) and a 12 year old boy? Reading the guide books, I see lots of things to keep the adults happy but not sure how much will be too much for the boy.

Thanks for your input and any other helpful hints you care to through out!
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM

It depends of what your 12 year old (male or female) enjoys. Each of our kids (one male, one female) was about 10 years old when we took them to Paris for the first time.

Some of the things we did : night - time boat ride on the Seine, to see the buildings all lit up; Notre Dame, including a trip up the towers (our son had read the Hunchback of Notre Dame beforehand, so it was particularly interesting to him); the bird market on Sunday morning; taste - testing pastries at a variety of patisseries; the Musee d'Orsay; the Louvre; Montmartre with a visit to Sacre Coeur. We coupled Paris (4 nights, I think) with 3 nights in the Loire Valley, to see the chateaux (that trip began with 4 nights in London).
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 07:26 PM

We took our two granddaughters to France when they were about 12 - one in 2004 and the other in 2011. On each trip we spent a week in Paris, then another week or so in other parts of France/England. Both trips were absolutely fantastic - we all had a great time. We rented apartments for the Paris part of our trips and I think that contributed a lot to our enjoyment. We did a lot of the things Lexma90 describes but rather than going in to a lot of detail here, I will give you links to my trip reports and some pictures. I don't think it makes any difference that we took girls and you have a boy - Paris is a wonderful place with tons of stuff to do for everyone. I'm a big believer in traveling with family and twelve is a perfect age - at least it was for us. You will make incredible memories that your son will never forget.

2011 trip report: Paris, Normandy & the Loire Valley with our Granddaughter
2011 pictures: https://john183france2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

2004 trip report: Paris, Normandy & London with our Granddaughter (June 2004)
2004 pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/100513985455350275288/albums/5530553329409429249?banner=pwa&authkey=CPaFgPn1opL _Kw

Last edited by john183; Dec 28th, 2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 10:53 PM

A 12 year old boy:
Well, if you're in good shape, have you considered taking the stairs at the Eiffel Tower? People do. It would be memorable.

If not, consider that many churches have both crypts and towers to climb. Or come when the bells are sounding. Or visit Notre Dame or St Sulpice for an organ concert.

Go to Montmartre and climb to the top of Sacre Couer. Eat dinner in the neighborhood and then go back as it gets dark. There is quite a scene in front of the church with various flame throwers etc. Be careful of pickpockets...but still, you should go. It's quite memorable. Consider taking an Uber or taxi back to your hotel if you're not staying in the 18th.

Go to the amazing food store Le Grande Epicerie... there were mounds of lobsters and whole sides of beef in a glass refrigerator case. It was really something. This was in the 6th, perhaps go there after visiting a museum. Be sure to buy lots of snacks and even lunch to take with you. I also bought things like fun cake decorations, tins of cookies to take home etc.

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/20...rand-epicerie/

As to tips: One thought for you is that your group does not have to stay together 24-7. One of you can separately visit a museum (or stay longer at one), while the other two do something else.

Others on this board suggested the Hotel Clement in the 6th. They have a room for three people that was perfect for us. The third person had their own small bedroom within the larger suite. You might consider it.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by JillianS
Very early planning stages of a probably June trip to Paris. For many reasons, it will likely be our only time there. How much time would you recommend staying for 2 adults (50ish) and a 12 year old boy? Reading the guide books, I see lots of things to keep the adults happy but not sure how much will be too much for the boy.

Thanks for your input and any other helpful hints you care to through out!
5 - 7 days, which will allow you time for a day trip and the 12 year old enough slack in the schedule to have their own itinerary, with either one of you. Be sure to split up a couple of times.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by menachem
5 - 7 days, which will allow you time for a day trip and the 12 year old enough slack in the schedule to have their own itinerary, with either one of you. Be sure to split up a couple of times.
I agree. 6-7 days are needed to fully enjoy with 12 YO.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 03:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We took both granddaughters to London and Paris when they were 13, separate trips. First one we were all in the same room, not ideal. Second one we had a bedroom for us and a sitting room with a sofa bed for teen, much better situation, at Residence Henri IV in the fifth. Excellent location.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...de_France.html

Five days is good for a first trip to Paris. They both loved Paris because it was so different. The architecture, the language, the food, the Metro.

One liked modern art, so the Pompidou. One liked more recognizable art, so D’Orsay. Of course, The Eiffel. In June, definitely get skip the line tickets ahead of time. Notre Dame, boat ride on The Seine, Luxembourg Gardens, all impressed. They loved the tourist shops with key chains, sweatshirts, and other “junk.” The bakeries with all the gorgeous sweets also were a big hit along with lunch at McDonalds (their choice, not ours.). The pedestrian streets, especially at night with all the street performers.

For a boy maybe Invalides with all the military stuff or the Catacombs, creepy.

Paris is a memorable place for all ages. Keep reading your guide books and fine what will interest him.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Each child is different, so I hope you know about your own son. I know that I ran my mother's legs to nubs in the Louvre at age 12 and she is the one who finally begged to leave. Same thing for the towers of Notre Dame or the steps in Montmartre.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 02:51 PM

How wonderful! I echo many other comments for catacombes, Notre Dame tower/steps (gargoyles!), Napoleon/military sites, Louvre medieval moat, etc... Seine boat tour at night is exciting capped by top of the hour Tour Eiffel lights! June will be busy, so recommend scheduling a few adventures and keeping some down time as well. Again, depending on everyone's interests, Versailles with the golf carts or a fun run around the courtyard of the Palais Royal (silver orbs in water fountain, black/white posts in courtyard) ... maybe Rue Cler picking up chicken here, baguette there, sweets at the patisserie/bakery for a fun picnic? Maybe some french phrases before departure that you'll repeat during the trip ... "C'est la prochaine!" (It's the next stop!) -- that you repeat again and again to (eventually) his embarrassment - and ultimately his life long memory(!) - on every train ride ... ! And put him in charge of purchasing the Metro tickets (billets) "Un carnet, s'il vous plait" ... it's the little things the kids seem to remember, oui? Hope this is on target and wishing you a wonderful adventure.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Shorter visits can actually work against enjoyment with kids trips / trying to get too much crammed into a visit and not having time to just enjoy - so I say a week minimum .

Ive taken my son when he was 13 , and in a separate visit I took my 11 yr old daughter, then my hubby took our other son when he was 13 .

All liked the top sights , one son loved the Louvre , but our daughter preferred the Orsay and the Invalids Army Museum !

Boat rides , Eiffel Tower it course , daughter and I both enjoyed the Holocaust museum ( she was a thoughtful 11 yr old ) , and both boys loved the Catacombs ( daughter refused to go after seeing her brothers photos lol ) .

My sons were VERY active kids , so we did lots of climbing of stairs ( up the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur , as well as down the stairs at the Catacombs) .

A wonderful daytrip out of city is Provins !! My son loved the Eagels of the Ramparts show !
Skip Versailles unless you have a real interest in it ( I love it and have been many times but the crowds are just overwhelming now , my daughter hated the palace , all she saw were backs and elbows in her face , the grounds are nice though )

and finally DO consider a bike tour - my fave is the one to Giverny to see Monets Gardens as you ride along a river through the country mostly ! Look st Fat Tire or Blue bike tours . And yes , you can do it - I hadn’t been on a bike for many years , Paris and even the daytrips out of Paris are pretty easy
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 11:41 PM

Would past trips give us any guidance on what your son likes (and dislikes)?

After consulting my inner 12yo boy (well, I had already been 16 on my first trip to Paris), I think that any sight that involves to stand in line for an hour to see old paintings while being shoved and pushed from one room to another would not my idea of a fun day in Paris. It still isn't.
But nowadays even the grand old art museums have special programs geared at children - from their own audio guide to special visits. It may be worth to check out the museums you want to visit to see if they provide anything like that (in English).

Museums and activities which I either liked in my teenage years and other stuff that comes to mind (in addition to what others already mentioned):

Museum Arts et Metiers, https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/thi...rts-et-metiers
Museum Air and Space at Le Bourget, https://www.museeairespace.fr/en/
Climbing Tour Eiffel to the first platform (has been mentioned before)
Cité des sciences et de l'industrie, https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museu...de-l-industrie, the website is not that impressive at first glance, just google for more or watch some videos, the complex is quite huge so will take up lots of / too much time maybe
Riding the two half-circle lines metro lines 2 and 6 (which are mostly elevated, so you can see something)
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 03:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
All three of ours went at age 13 (I think) with their schools for two weeks, staying with a local student’s family. So a bit different but they would agree with the above advice word for word. Don’t try too hard and he’ll enjoy it.

Last edited by xcountry; Dec 30th, 2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas and details. As for what he likes, he loves science so we visit the science museum in our own major city a lot. We've done this on other trips, as well as visiting a lot of history type museums. We like to hike in scenic areas and he LOVES eating out, new experiences, and all animals. One of my issues is that art museums have never held a lot of interest for him. I keep reading that you can go to Paris and NOT visit the Louvre, but honestly there is no way I would make this trip and not go there or to the Musee de l'Orangerie.
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 11:37 AM

We seem to always find something fun going on at Trocadero. Performers, skaters, there always seems to be something to catch and hold our attention.
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 03:00 PM

He likes science and animals? A kid after my own heart! Check out the Jardin des Plantes with its zoo and natural history museum. June should be beautiful!
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 09:46 PM

I keep reading that you can go to Paris and NOT visit the Louvre, but honestly there is no way I would make this trip and not go there or to the Musee de l'Orangerie.
Compromise might be in order. Can he visit one museum and not the other? Could he visit the Louvre with you, agree to see a list of 5-6 works, and then go park at the museum cafe with his phone or iPod?

Whatever museum you choose, see if Sister Wendy had any critiques to read or watch on YouTube. She could be very insightful--and funny.
​​​​​​
​​​​Also, lots of people, including me, have not been to L'Orangerie. The D'Orsay might be a more interesting museum for him, since it used to be a train station. Have him watch the movie Hugo before the trip.

​​​​​​Whatever you decide, consider that you and your husband can come back one day. Your son will only be 12 once. Try to enjoy it.

Old Dec 30th, 2018, 10:29 PM

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas and details. As for what he likes, he loves science so we visit the science museum in our own major city a lot. We've done this on other trips, as well as visiting a lot of history type museums. We like to hike in scenic areas and he LOVES eating out, new experiences, and all animals. One of my issues is that art museums have never held a lot of interest for him. I keep reading that you can go to Paris and NOT visit the Louvre, but honestly there is no way I would make this trip and not go there or to the Musee de l'Orangerie.

No need for him to see art if he doesn't like it. However, do check out Cité des Sciences. It was mentioned above, but it's really cool. I've taken my son to Paris a lot on work trips (photographer, shoots) and his Parisian thing was to go out with me at night to a Brasserie at a busy crossroads, drink his Orangina and just watch the traffic go by. We used to do this fairly late at night too and it was the highlight of his day. He still talks about it and is now 21.

Why don't you let him plan a day or two of you itinerary? According to his interests, instead of planning what everyone says you need to do in Paris. One thing my son thought was incredibly cool were the military maquettes at Invalides. The entire army museum in fact. He was also surprised by going into Centre Pompidou and actually liking one of the modern art shows there. And Palais de Tokyo usually has stuff that is completely out of the ordinary. For instance this, by Tomas Saraceno

https://www.palaisdetokyo.com/fr/evenement/air

I took my son for early morning walks, watching the big market at Grenelle set up under the metro line, buying some incredibly fresh bread, then having coffee with him at a cafe nearby. One thing about France and Paris: children are universally loved. Teach him Bonjour, Au revoir, Merci madame/monsieur: when he uses the magic phrases, people will adore him.
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 12:01 AM

It's also very helpful for adults to make a list of items they want to see at the Louvre instead of trying to "see it all".
Which is not possible in one visit anyway. The museum is simply too big, too many works of art.
When you google "louvre with kids" you find some interesting advice on how to beat the queues, and how to pre-plan a visit with children.
But since I never had to do it, I cannot say if any of those tips are really useful.

IMO, the Louvre and the pyramid are interesting to see from the outside.
But unless you wanted to see some specific work of art or a specific period/genre I consider it a waste of time for first time visitors who try to catch a bit of the vibe of Paris.
Just as visiting MOMA or the Prado is not experiencing New York or Madrid, IMO.