Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Much are you willing to spend on a travel wardrobe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Paris in October? Will you be buying some new outfits to wear around the city or to dinner? Or will you bring with you what you already have in your closet?

Maybe you will purchase some things to wear when you get to your destination? Maybe you don't care about clothes?

How important is it to you to look like the natives? Do you really want to blend in, or would you rather create your own style?

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:44 AM

Living in Florida, I have been known to buy coats and sweaters for cold-weather trips.

Other than that, stylish clothes are very low on my list of priorities. What I already have will suffice.

That said, I am a stauch supporter of long pants only (I'm male) in European cities, which is very different from how I operate here in the states. The more formal attitude and the tendency to pop in and out of churches is the reason for this.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:50 AM

To answer the headline question -- zero.

I don't buy travel wardrobes and don't have clothes that I only wear for travel. I do care how I look but think I always dress in fairly good taste, so don't worry about it. I don't normally dress in unusual ways that wouldn't transport to other cities. Along those lines, I don't think my normal clothes are that odd that they make me look so different from the natives, anyway. I don't like shopping much at all, at home or on vacation. I might buy a few things when traveling if there are good sales, and especially if there is something I might like because the weather turned out differently than I had expected. For example, when I was there last summer, it was a lot hotter than I had expected, and there were summer sales, so I picked up a couple cotton skirts that were probably a little different in style than I could easily buy at home in my local stores.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:12 AM

I don;t have a travel wardrobe. Have never found that I needed different clothes for travel than for my real life.

The only thing I do differently is use a mid-size Sportsac for a purse instread of a regular leather one (lighter and expandable to hold eveything you need for the day.

Caveat: I'm a New Yorker and used to walking everywhere - so except for my evening shoes or business suit pumps all of my shoes are comfy enought to walk forever.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I DO care about clothes, that's why my own normal wardrobe is good enough for a trip. I bring what I already have in my closet.

I don't want to look like the natives, or blend in, or create my own style... none of the above.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:45 AM

My normal wardrobe is so bad that I'd never travel in it. I mean, those jeans with the big patch on the inner thigh and the frayed cuffs?--yes, I said "cuffs"--these jeans are really old. I do have a few things left over from when I still worked, but in general I always have to buy a few new things for travel.

I don't have the shopping gene, so buying new clothes is torture for me. I did care about them when I was younger, but the whole looking good thing is pretty futile at the age of 70. I know women my age who still try, and whose clothes are chic, but I ain't one of them!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:55 AM

I wear the same things when I travel that I do at home, though for travel I tend to take nice things if I am going to a city or doing business. Of course, my idea travel wardrobe consists of 2 bikinis and a sarong, with maybe a pair of flip flops, so if that were the expenditure, I would say $40.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM

Claire- you wear a bikini and sarong and flip flops at home?
just kidding, Suze
;-)
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

I never bring anything that I love dearly or is one of a kind. Luggage could get lost, stains and rips appear, etc.

I generally bring new or new-ish clothes (generally bought on a great sale) that I'm not afraid of leaving behind or ruining. I am always neat and clean and reasonably stylish - just in an inexpensive way.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

I live where it's warm most of the year (and when it is "cold" it is not winter coat weather anyway) so yes, I do have different clothes for Europe because we generally go in April. I have black, dark gray pants & sweaters that are for London & Paris and not home in Arizona I have bought a few specific things mainly because my lightweight clothes and/or aqua or pink tops & white capris would look kind of goofy in Europe the time of the year we go!! Now and then I've bought an article of clothing in Europe but with sizes being so different I hate wasting alot of good time trying things on.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:57 AM

peg- cuffed jeans are back in again... you'll give those 20-somethings a run for their money!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

Actually, I AM going to Paris in October and I will pack some wardrobe mistakes to give them a good sendoff -- a pair of black Levis with buttons instead of a zipper, that silk blouse with the questionable collar. It's my way of softening the blow when I leave them. And of course the ubiquitous "this is the last time for you" socks/underwear/sleep tees. I did spend some money on a smart loden green jacket which will indeed come home with me.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM

nytraveler,
Hi!
I was wondering if you remember just which
'mid size' lesportsac you use instead of a purse. I have their catalog, but just can't figure out which one to order.
I need something for a trip to France in December and then again for Italy in May.
Thanks! :-?
L
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Peg, I disagree with you. There are many older women who are/were fashion icons. Just look at Iris Apfel, Jackie Onassis, Anna Piaggi, Diana Vreeland.

There is a Boston Fodorite who sends me pictures of herself (and her little dog, too). She always looks fabulous, especially when she is wearing one of her Hermes scarves.

I know so many younger woman who run out an buy a whole new wardrobe when they find out they are going away--Cancun, St. Barts, London, etc.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM

YES, I am going to Paris for the month of October. All of October ! Of course, my situation may be different because as I will be in an apt with a washer/dryer. But, I plan to take as little as possible. I bought a few basics like ballet flats, skinny jeans, a couple long sweaters to belt, black leggings and a cute dress to wear over them. That's about it ! I hope to shop while I am there and come home ahead of the fashion game here in ATlanta. I don't spend a lot on cloths before I leave, usually not more than $200.

Something I notice about Parisians is that they seem to favor quality over quantity. So I recommend a few key quality pieces in a wardrobe and maybe a nice handbag and pair of shoes. Dark colors are good, but I understand that this season that eggplant, purple and red are big in accessories and accents.

I also frequent tripadvisor.com. If anyone is interested, I am having a get-together on Oct. 11. The details are on the Paris forum ! We plan to meet at a cafe and then go to a jazz club. WE would love to have any weary travelers or locals as well. When I did this last year, we had a good mix of both and everyone had a great time !
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:21 PM

LeiLei -

Sorry I can;t help. I have several of them - black, navy and tan - that I choose from based on season and have had them all for at least 10 years - since unless you take a hatchet to them they're indestructible.

If it's any help it;'s about 16" long with an outer zippered pocket on all 4 sides. It can expand to hold all your regular purse stuff, a guidebook, medium bottle of water, umbrella, sweater or light jacket and camera/film with no trouble at all.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 08:07 AM

wtggirl- have a great trip. your clothes sound perfect. sincerely.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM

marginal margiela, I know that lady in Boston too and yes, you are so right. She always looks just right, and so does the little pup

I live in a city, so it is easier for me to pack .
I <b>always</b> care about clothes and how I look.
I don't have to look Like the natives, I am not gonna wear an Obi or a sarong, but I will not be wearing shorts tees and or jeans to most places.
My style is usually based on the style of the place I go, but I must admit, I shop before every trip..I like to have new things to wear on trips.
I know I will never completely blend in , in most countries or even some states in the US!
I am going to Argentina in a month and have cleaned out my closets and will buy new things that will also be perfect for my trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Living in a warm climate, I find myself needing to shop for warmer clothes for some vacations. Seeing that I won't have many opportunities to wear them at home, I try to borrow from family or buy warm woolen things at a consignment store. I'd rather save my funds for the trip expenses.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

If you want to fit in in Buenos Aires, you have to wear leather. It is everywhere. Ponchos are also big here. Big Black Jackie O sunglasses, too.

Have dinner at Cabana Las Lilas for very good steak and Malbec wine.

If you want the equivalent of Paris' Cafe Flore in BA, head to Cafe de la Paix across from Recoleta Cemetary. Sit outside if it is nice.

Have fun in Palermo Hollywood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -