How many nights in Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want to see Naples but not necessarily spend a lot of time there as we are heading down to Positano for 4 nights. Since we arrive in Naples afternoon from long flight from US we need some advice :

1. Do we spend 2 nights one to catch up on sleep and the other after spending the day checking out Naples and museums

2. Spend 1 night (when we arrive) check out of hotel the next day and visit the museums, pick up our car and head down to Positano stopping at Hurculaneum for a few hours.

We are open to suggestions on wether it is necessary to spend 2 nights in Naples. This is our 3rd trip to Italy but have never visited Southern Italy before so we don't want to miss certain things.

From Positano we are heading back up to Rome to meet friends for 5 nights and then up to Florence for a week.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:32 PM

Hi Shar, IMO it is so hard to make a suggestion to someone else. I have stayed up to 5 nights in Naples and enjoyed every moment, but we were on a two month trip in Italy.

In that you are flying into Naples from the US I will assume I would opt for 2 nights in Naples as you will probably have a bit of jetlag when you arrive. Having one full day without arriving and departing would be the best IMO. Best regards.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Neopolitan

I had not been to Naples when we went to Pompeii. I got so tired of hearing "the artifacts from this house are in the museum in Naples", so I loved spending nearly half a day at the museum and finally seeing all those wonderful objects.
I rather liked Naples. My guess is that if you only spend one night, you'll be anxious to get going and will cut it very short on your day there. I'd opt for two nights so you have a full and somewhat relaxed day. Besides, you've got to stay long enough to have pizza!

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM

First of all, only you and your husband knwo if you personally need to allow for time to recover from your transatlantic flight. But it sounds like you do. I suggest you plan two nights in Napoli.

Now: What if you find yourselves filled with energy when you arrive?

It *sounds* like you are not terribly interested in the ruins of Pompeii or Vesuvius, which are easily reached from Napoli. That's OK. Napoli is really quite a fascinating city. Check out various online guides about the top 10 Naples attractions. Provided you know where to go and where NOT to go, visiting Napoli's churches (like Cappella SanSevero) and historic districts is an unforgettable experience.

However, if you hate Napoli -- which sometimes happens, because it is chaotic and dirty and 3rd world and bizarre in many ways == then take a ferry to Capri (or Ischia or Procida). Very easily done from Napoli.

If it is rainy, you most certainly will not be wasting your time visiting the archeology musuem, the art museum or taking an underground tour of Napoli.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM

I'd go for the two nights in Naples for a couple of reasons:

1. One-night stays in hotels stink. The one exception is if you are flying home the following day and the flight leaves early in the morning. It still stinks in this case, but it's at least a necessary evil. Use the time to get your bearings, adapt to the time differential, and watch Italian drivers in general and Neapolitan drivers in particular before tooling down the autostrada in your rental car.

2. There is a lot to do in Naples. Pizza. Sfogliatelle Mary. Spaccanapoli. Go to Castel Sant'Elmo for a commanding view of all of western Campania.

3. Enjoy one of the few major cities in Italy that is not overrun with tourists.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. We have decided on 2 nights in Naples before heading down to 4 nights in Positano and Pompei, Herculaneum, Capri and the rest of the sights in that area. Any hotel suggestions for Naples - nice but not over $300.00 a night.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is nothing specific to Naples, but I always allow 2-3 days at my first city when I arrive Europe. I fly from west coast US and very much need the time to adjust.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I would also be interested in hearing about hotel recommendations..thinking of adding a few days in Naples during our trip to Rome in January.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Hi Shar,

After seven nights in Rome, DH and I will spend three nights in Naples this December--it will be our first trip to Italy.

Although we booked a great rate (100 euro/night) at the Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo (Marriott) I continue to toy with the idea of moving to the Costantinopoli 104 which should be within your budget (200 euro/night).

http://www.costantinopoli104.com/en/home

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/NAPBR
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

AnnMarie_C
thanks for the tip on what appears to be a lovely hotel in Naples Costantinopoli 104. In all my research this one never came up. I have requested availability for our 2 night stay
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Hi Shar, I found it on venere.com.