Naples - to stay or not to stay?

May 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Naples - to stay or not to stay?

Hi: In planning a 2 week June trip to Rome and the Amalfi Coast, I was thinking of including Naples. I thought I would do so for (2) reasons:
1. I was there many years ago and Naples looked interesting - thought I might like to have some more time to explore.
2. As this will be our departure city - I thought it might make sense to venture back from the coast ( either Sorrento or Positano ) and be in the city ready for the flight out rather than stressing over reliable transportation to Naples the day of our flight ( should I assume that for a flight back to the East Coast, we would likely leave late morning? ).
The more reading I've done, the more I question the thought of actually staying there. I also have two girls ages 10 & 15 and want to be sure I'm thoughtful re: their safety. Maybe the "crime" aspect I've read about is too overblown.
Thanks for any and all feedback.
May 2nd, 2005, 03:14 PM

We just spent two nights in Naples and there are aspects of it that are difficult. My wife experienced what was likely an aborted purse snatching (no contact) and was almost hit by a motorcycle while we were walking on a sidewalk. That said we found it to be fun to walk around and explore. We only scratched the surface as Naples was primarily base camp for Pompei and Herculaneum. There is a tour bus of the city that would let you see things without worry.
May 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Pausanias

We spent three days in Naples two years ago and had a wonderful time. We visited the Archaeology Museum, The Palace, and wandered through Spaccanapoli and other neighborhoods. Also hired a cab to take us up to Avernus etc. Unfortunately Baia was closed because of a strike. No bad experiences to report. We stayed in Santa Lucia at the Excelsior, looking out over the bay to Capri. Very glad I got over my Fear-of Naples syndrome.

May 2nd, 2005, 03:40 PM

I was stationed in Naples with the Navy. Hold on tight to your belongings (or better yet, wear them under your clothes) and you will have no problems. It's a wonderful city!
May 2nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also curious to hear from anyone about the thought of traveling from the coast to make a flight out of Naples - the same day. Is that a crazy idea?
May 3rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi LJ,

We did 3 days in Naples and found it no less safe than other cities we have visited.

Take the usual precautions.

I recommend you spend a couple of nights there.

>curious to hear from anyone about the thought of traveling from the coast to make a flight out of Naples - the same day. Is that a crazy idea?<

Not crazy. There are buses from Sorrento to Naples airport.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

May 3rd, 2005, 06:54 AM

I was also stationed in Naples with the Navy and spent the three best years of my life there. The city has alot to offer beyond the bay of Naples. The people are friendly, food is good and the atmosphere is wonderful.
May 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued input. I have put (2) nights, at the end of our stay, back on the itinerary.
May 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi LY,

You might find the Nples part of my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

May 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ira. I will check it out.....
Jun 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Hi Liyoung

I too have the same problem whether to stay in Naples for 2 nights before flying home or staying in Sorrento and visiting Naples. I am worried about safety aspect.
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
ira

Hi Bubbles,

Sorrento is a reasonably quiet, pleasant town, with some nightlife.

Naples is dirty, gritty, chaotic and vibrant.

You won't be significantly less safe in Naples than in Sorrento.