How many days needed

Mar 10th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

How many days needed

We will be driving from Fussen to Salzburg, when in Salzburg we obviously want to visit the city, take the Sound of Music tour, go to Berchtesgaden as a day trip and visit the salt mines, also as a day trip go in the Salzkammergut, Hallstatt, my question is would spending 3 nights in Salzburg be enough time to do that or would we recommend 4 nights. Also whould we stay at the Goldenen Ente or Weisse Kreuz, we want to be in the center of everything.
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM

The Sound of Music tour? Is that really worth your time?
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM

The "Sound of Music Tour" is ok for those that love the movie. We went to the local tourist center, picked up the info we needed and did the tour ourselves. Not quite as nice, but cheaper and at our own pace. If I could do 4 nights in Salzburg I think I would. Maybe try the ice caves at Werfen. I'm not sure if you can do the salt mines and ice caves in the same day or not.
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

OK, so even if do the Sound of Music tour on our own, would you recommend 4 nights with all of this countryside to visit.
I need to eliminate 1 night somewhere in my travel, either Bacharach or Rothenburg. I know that you only need 1 day in Rothenburg but if we were stopping in Wurzburg along the way we wouldn't be getting in Rothenburg until late, therefore we would need 2 nights, or should we skip Wurzburg and go directly to Rothenburg. Sure is a lot of planning for these trips, sure glad they have this sight to ask different opinions.
Mar 10th, 2006, 01:35 PM
ira

Hi s,

>we obviously want to visit the city, take the Sound of Music tour, go to Berchtesgaden as a day trip and visit the salt mines, also as a day trip go in the Salzkammergut, Hallstatt,..<

That's about 4 days right there.

Mar 10th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

OK, 4 nights it is, how about the Hotel, which one would you pick in the center. Wolfe Dietrich, Weisses Kreuz or Golden Ente. I want clean room, good price, good location and friendly service.
Mar 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't spend more than a day in Salzburg. You can see everything there worth seeing in a day.

Berchtesgaden, however, has so much to offer, from the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest), Dokumentation Center, salt mines, Koenigssee, a quaint town, and some great hiking. Worth two, maybe three days.

Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut are also worth a day.
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

I was asking about spending 4 nights in Salzburg so we could visit the surrounding areas like Berchtesgaden, I wasn't going to spend all my time in the town of Salzburg. I thought we could probably visit Salzburg the first day after driving to Fussen and the other days visit Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt etc. I just thought staying in the city would be a good base, are you saying that we should stay in Berchtesgaden area instead.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Salzburg is a good location to day trip from.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I'd skip Rothenburg and spend the time in Wurzburg.