Paris, this and that of interest

Mar 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Paris, this and that of interest

Fashion Saturdays at the Hotel Bristol.
The creations of famous couturiers to watch as you sip tea and savoring scones.
hotel-bristol.com
A new monthly for parents of the 2-12 set (in French) all kid related info, where to go, what to do. And don't forget the GUIGNOL, the decades old puppet shows in the Luxenbourg, The Champs de Mars and other gardens.

Where to dance: Le Baron(hard to get in)
6 ave monceau 8th.
De La Ville Café, has the trendiest DJs. It was once a bordello then a Chineese resto.
34 bd bonne nouvelle 10th.
Mange Disque, You can buy indie labels, grab a bite to eat enjoy a glass or wine attend jazz concerts or hit the dance floor in between apertifs.

Searchers for things like the brass markers and Wallace fountains, can try looking for The COLONNES MORRIS created by Gabriel Morris and like the old pissoirs wre a feature of the Paris landscape. These are also round structures topped with a green "hat" and are used to advertise plays, and other performances Over 200 have been removed in the last. Pricvate theaters say they have lost business as a result. City hall cut from 773 to 500 claiming to reduce crowding in public places

RATP has finally realized the blind also take the subway and installed Braille maps in
three stations, Porte de La Villette, Porte de Pantin, and Saint-Denis. Soon all Paris buses will announce each stop.

There's a movie theater, STUDIO 28 next to the moulin rouge is famous for Luis Bunuel first screened his 1930 surrealist film L'Age d'Or. There's a lovely restaurant in the garden where you can have a drink before and after

Adam Gonik has a children's fantasy, "The king in the Window."

I have ordered, A new study of "Colette" by Julia Kristeva,

"Time Was Soft There,"A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co. by Jeremy Mercer who moves into the book shop and becomes George Whitman's closest confidant.

"Nothing Serious,"by Justine Lévy, who is BHL(Bernard Henri Lévy's daughter) basd on her true story of how her husband dumped her for the model singer, Carla Bruni.

Mar 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
tod

Thank you Cigale that was a lovely update!
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM

thanks cigalechanta. My 12 yr old daughter is very interested in the fashion Sat. I'll keep checking to see if they'll be one when we go in June.
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

namaka, if she is a beatle fan:

LENNON, UNFINISHED MUSIC
THE ARTIST'S LIFE
Through June 25
Cité de la Musique - 221, avenue Jean Jaurès, 75019 Paris
www.cite-musique.fr/francais/accueil.html

John Lennon provocatively declared, “I am a chameleon,” categorically refusing to allow the medias to define his image. The different faces of John Lennon greet the visitor on a large screen at the entrance to the exhibit. Each image corresponds to a different period of the artist’s life, allowing for a better understanding of the political, cultural and musical forces that shaped his exceptional persona. An exhaustive, emotional tribute to one of the greatest musical geniuses that ever lived.
Mar 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM

cigalechanta, she is not familiar with John Lennon, nor the beatles but I am. We will be in London later in the trip and may take a beatles-type tour. Thanks again!
Mar 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

June 25 is the yearly date for the Paris Gay Pride Parade that starts at the Republique to Beaubourg via the Marais but the rooute could change.

Mar 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Cigale, I'm going to tred VERY lightly here, because you did more in Paris on your recent visit than I've done in a third of a lifetime, and also did a lot more to pass it on! Studio 28, that theater that Cocteau designed, is at 10 Rue de Tholoze in the 18th. It's closer to the Moulin de la Galette than it is to the Moulin Rouge, I think. Several years ago we reserved seats in one of the first few rows. Those consisted of lush red sofas, and we purchased two glasses of Champagne before we sat down for the film. Very civilized!
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Bonjour Dave, brain freeze, moulin rouge , moulin de galette.
Here's the web site for a glimpse.
www.cinemastudio28.com

While I have your attention mon ami, have you been to the Max Linder Panarama/ I hear it's worth a visit with it's 60 foot screen.
I'm sorry I didn't come sooner to se the Hotelle de Ville show on "Paris Au Cinema" All the movies since the 30s that were filmed in Paris.
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

March 13-June 19,
paintings by Douanier Rousseau at the Grand Palais.

March 14-april 2,
Salzurg Marionettes at the theater Dejazet.
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM

What a feast of ideas, thank you.
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hi Cigale,

I haven't been to the Max Linder, or at least I haven't been since it was redone a LONG time ago. A. no doubt has, since she's usually at the movies when she's not traveling, but I can't ask her because she's in Monrovia.
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Hi Mimi,
Thank you for this and that
My daughter has confirmed that she will be in Paris this fall, so I can send this on to her..like Mother like Daughter I guess
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:03 AM

If you would like to receive these kind of updates every month, you can subscribe to 'France Today', which recently revamped their magazine layout and went to a color publication.

http://www.francetoday.com/
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

idealgourmet.com is a booking service will get you prepaid reservations at all the top restaurants.

bag-assist.com, will transport your luggage from the airport or train station.

nice little book, I thumbed through it, "The Authentic Bistros of Paris."

The SNCF has a new discountcalled IDTV.
Fares starting one way from 19€. You can travel from Paris to Avignon and other points Online booking at
idgv.com

A singles cooking class once a month at the Paris Ritz includes a glass of champagne and dinner 90€ ritzparis.com

Hotel de Crillon has flower arranging classes and the decorative arts.
http://labelleecole.fr

O Chateau has wine tasting classes either at a loft in the 11th or at certain restaurants. o-chateau.com

There's a six minute balloon ride at disneyland 12€ for adults

A month in advance reservation at purplebeam.com will get you a behind the scenes group tour of the Eiffel Tower machine room and underground bunker
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

An oasis for women-the Hamman Pasha

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/03/1.../12dayout.html
Mar 12th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Thanks so much, Mimi!
Lots of great info. here.

Curious about that eiffel tower tour, but can't seem to get the english version to work on the purple beam website. I'll try again later.

My daughter would LOVE Fashion Saturdays, but sadly we won't be in Paris on a Saturday!

Thanks again,
Dina
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Mimi, thank you for the info! kiss kiss
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Mimi,
Hope your eyes are better
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks, I'm out of the woods!
Thank you, Lord!
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Cigale--thanks for the Hamman Pasha info. The one Sunday we don't buy the Times... As I'm heading out on Friday for a solo girly trip to Paris this sounds perfect! And to think I might have missed it only because my husband and I slept so late we didn't do our usual Sunday Times morning ritual!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO