Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long should we allow from flight landing to catching a train in Milan?

Mar 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

We'll be ariving in Milan at 9:00am and plan to take the train directly to Venice. It appears that we will have to take a shuttle from the airport to Centrale Station in Milan to catch the train. How long is " safe" to allow?
Mar 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Hello suz, here is the official Milano Shuttle bus schedule website.

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/mxp-mil.htm

You, I assume are flying to Malpensa from the US. Will you change planes somewhere else in Europe? If so you will go through immigration when you change planes and will not have to do so at Malpensa. You will have customs at Malpensa which shouldn't take too long.

Personally I would figure a tad longer to arrive at the Central Train (Centrale) in Milan (Milano) than the website shows, just in case there is heavy traffic. I would probably figure two hours total. But if you want to be "safe", assuming you want to make online train reservations and thus your question..if your plane is late arriving at Malpensa than perhaps three hours after you arrive at Malpensa would be best as far as taking the train from Milan to Venice. There is a cafe at the Milan Central Train Station which you could use while waiting for your train. Best regards.
Mar 18th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly! We are wanting to book our reservations before we leave the US and there is a 12:55 train that leaves to Venice - so that sounds like that one may be the best bet.
Mar 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM

We allowed just over two hours and it was perfect - we were able to grab some delicious panninis at the train station with time to spare. Enjoy!!!
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM

We allowed about 2 hours and were really rushed - the shuttle trip was a lot longer than we expected because of road construction, traffic, etc. I think you are wise to leave 3+ hours.