golf in scotland in June

Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

golf in scotland in June

Me being the perfect wife, would like to send my husband for a weekend to golf in Scotland. We live in the UK, so a weekend is not unreasonable. I would prefer to not spend 400 GBP per night on a room. Any suggestions? I figured he and his buddy could train to Edinburgh, and rent a car from there. Need to know if the "top tier course" can be booked without staying at them.

Thanks
Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM

Have you considered Ireland rather than Scotland? I think it would be a bit cheaper.
The Senior British Open in 2007 was in Northern Ireland (Royal Portrush?); there are several other Links & Parkland Courses in N.I. like top-rated Royal County Down.

My favorite course in the Republic is Carne Golf Links near Belmullet in County Mayo. And nearby Hotels like Crocket's on the Quay in Balliná have reasonable rates like less than 100 Euro. I met several Brits (on a Golf outing) at the bar when I was there last year.

Feb 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM

Depends on what you call a 'top tier' course... for the Old Course at St. Andrews, it will be tough. The best way without pre-arranged tee times is to put their name in the lottery the night before and hope to get in.

The other alternative is to book a weekend with a golf travel agent who can guarantee a tee time for St. Andrews. If you truly want to make it the trip of a lifetime, then I would just suck up the money and do that... if you think there will be other times that he can do it, then you can always play the New Course or one of the other courses.

There are other great courses -- another terrific one is Royal Dornoch - used to be a British Open course, but there aren't enough hotels, etc. to support the large crowds that come along. Quite a bit farther though, so maybe they could take the train further and then rent a car ? (I'm working off memory, so would need to look at a map).

janisj is the local expert....
Feb 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

You have quite a lot of choices in Scotland. For "top tier" courses, Turnberry offers the Ailsa as well as the Kintyre courses, The hotel is very nice, but pricey. Tel. 01655 331069. St. Andrews has the Old Course (closed Sundays)--golfers need to enter the ballot the day before (tel. 01334 466666) or go down early in the morning to get worked on by the starter. Also, the great Kingsbarns Links just south of St. Andrews is a treasure. Tel. 01334 460860.

Gleneagles inland has the King's and Queen's courses. Tel. 01764 662231. Carnoustie Championship Course tel. 01241 853789 and Royal Aberdeen Balgownie Links tel. 01224 702571 are two top-flight links.

Other great courses are North Berwick tel. 01620 892135 and Gullane No. 1 tel. 01620 842255--both just east of Edinburgh. To the north are Cruden Bay tel. 01779 812285 and Murcar Links tel. 01224 704354. And to the far north, Royal Dornoch tel. 01862 810219 and Nairn tel. 01667 453208.

I would recommend calling the courses to insure availability. Competitions close the courses to outside play. Hope this helps.

Jinx Hoover
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM

Most of the great courses inn Scotland are public and you do not need to stay in any particular hotel. Turnberry and Gleneagles are two major exceptions.

But St Andrews, Cruden Bay, Royal Dornoch (maybe the best playing experience of all), and many others - you just book your tee times and stay where ever you want.

The Old Course is a special case since it is basically booked solid year round. They'd need to get on the daily lottery and hop to "win"

_jinx_ and sheila can give you really good detailed info. If it were me - I might

1) take the train or fly to Aberdeen, rent a car there and play Cruden Bay.

2) train or fly to Inverness, rent a car and play/stay in Dornoch

3) train or plane to Edinburgh, rent a car - stay in Crail or Anstruther and play some of the Fife courses (used for qualifying when the Open is at St Andrews) and try for the old course lottery

or 4) train or fly to Glasgow or Prestwick and play Prestwick and/or Troon.

Any of these would be a great weekend.
Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM

that should be "hope to win" -
Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM

We are long time golfers, but haven't played in a few years (and WILL soon)
BUT we always seek out golf courses when traveling (in Scotland for sure) and love to 'look" at the terrain etc.
Have been to St. Andrews about 5 times....the OLD COURSE is challenging and prestigious,and the atmosphere is great but never a certainty of getting a tee time. There are several other courses in St. Andrews...the NEW COURSE is only one hundred years old! Our son and a friend golfed there one time from evening into dark and it was beautiful.
Crail has a gorgeous, windy ,"fun" looking course...on the Fife Coast down from St. Andrews.
My husband and I were in the Inverness vicinity a few years ago and drove up to Dornoch. VERY intersting drive and the Royal Dornoch course looks to be quite nice.
All the links course are quite windy most of the time, and flat usually.
I guess if it is a "golf" weekend one would never go wrong with a visit to St. Andrews... it's golfing atmosphere, and MANY courses. Carnoustie is not too far also.
Mar 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM

You may want to look at www.theweeyellowbook.com. It gives all of the "open" competitions in Scotland at any time. Some are remarkably cheap. There's an open competition on Crail for 20 pounds...on the Jubilee Course at St Andrews for 12 pounds...a 4 day open at Cruden Bay for 50 pounds. And at a competitins your husband will meet other golfers and have a great time. It will be great fun for he and his pals.
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Too much choice, huh?

If it were me, based on your crieria, the courses I'd aim for are Troon, Loch Lomond, Gleneagles, Carnoustie, Nairn and Dornoch, simply because

1. You can't guarantee the Old Course at this time.

2. You'd have to stay at Turnberry- which, if I were a non-playing wife, I might WELL consider

3. Muirfield is so snobby it's not true.

The others are accessible and pretty fantastic. In fact, when I look at the range, I'd probably drop Nairn.

You could easily base them in Aberdeen and do Carnoustie Saturday and Cruden Bay Sunday. Or Stirling for Loch Lomond and Gleneagles.

Mar 18th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Here are some recommended golfing itineraries for "the perfect wife" to choose.

Train to Edinburgh, pick up a car, and stay at North Berwick (about 20 miles east). Play North Berwick West Links. Play Dunbar Links (tel. 01368 862317). Play Gullane No. 1.

Stay at St. Andrews. Call the day before play (before 2pm) to ballot for the Old Course. Play Kingsbarns Links. Drive to and play Carnoustie.

Stay at Aberdeen. Play Cruden Bay. Play Royal Aberdeen Balgownie Links. Play Carnouostie or play Murcar Links (tel. 01224 704354).

Stay at Ayr. Play Turnberry Ailsa Links (we called and got a tee time in 2006 without staying at the hotel). Play Prestwick where the first Open was played in 1860 (tel. 01292 477404). Play Western Gailes Links (tel. 01294 311649).

Stay at Inverness. Play Royal Dornoch. Play Nairn Links. Play Boat of Garten parkland course (tel. 01479 831282).

The new Castle Course of St. Andrews opens for play in late June but will probably be difficult to get on for several weeks. All of the courses mentioned are top-flight and should be accessible to your husband and buddy. Be sure to call well in advance for tee times.

B&B's or small hotels should be perfectly adequate for a couple of golfers whose minds will be on playing--not staying.

Refer to my previous reply for telephone numbers for the courses.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Mar 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM

excellent info above - but they might want to stay one night right in Dornoch. When I've taken friends there - we always welcomed an overnight since they invariably want to play the course again after seeing it the first time.